|This page is kept for historical interest. Any policies mentioned may be obsolete. |
See foundation:Resolution:Wikimedia Committees (January 2009)
The creation of an Events committee was approved by a Board resolution in 2006. It was never active, and was dissolved in January 2009 per board resolution along with other inactive committees. A new Wikimania Committee focused on Wikimania and related events has been discussed actively since 2010.
Forming the committee
- 21 January 2006
I'm asking for a delay in forming this committee Delphine 23:09, 21 January 2006 (UTC)
I have asked SimonP if he'd like to participate. He has agreed. Delphine 00:46, 27 January 2006 (UTC)
- What about our meeting today (20 UTC)? I'm alone at #event-com ;-) --Frank Schulenburg 20:15, 19 April 2006 (UTC)
Scope of the committee
- practical committee, taking care of the "ground work" for events. The events committee does not "think up events", but rather helps with location and general organisation, in other words, the feasibility. *Another task of the committee is to make sure that the Wikimedia Foundation is represented in major events, maybe with a booth, speakers etc. Assign the task to local volunteers or local chapters.
- Simon on the events committee
The difficulty with events is that by their very nature they are physical rather than virtual, and in many cases much of the planning and organization is best done on the ground. I would see the committee as a facilitator, a pool of resources and expertise that helps local groups organize events.
- Announce the event here on meta-wiki on this page and/or its local equivalent (currently German and French)
- Gather people willing to help (Announcements on Mailinglists and Village pump, ask local people on the list of Wikipedians by region)
- Set up a preparation page for the event (which can be turned into a report after the event)
- Make sure the booth will be manned fulltime by at least two people by setting up a schedule in advance
- Organize Promotion stuff and hardware equipment (see Events/Checklist)
- Turn up at the event before it starts to set up the booth, decorate it nicely
- Have fun and don't forget to eat and sleep!
- When it's over, replace the planning page by a report and list it here on "Previous events"
- see Events
Reports about previous events
- 2004: Golden Nica Awards 2004, New York
- September 2004: Ars electronica in Linz, Austria
- December 2004: 21C3 & 21C3/MediaWiki developer conference in Berlin, Germany
- February 2005: Southern California Linux Expo in Los Angeles, USA
- February 2005: FOSDEM 2005 in Brussels, Belgium
- March 2005: Cebit 2005 in Hannover, Germany
- March 2005: Leipziger Buchmesse 2005 in Leipzig, Germany
- April 2005: PixelACHE and Dot Org Boom in Helsinki, Finland
- April 2005: FLOSS, South Africa 2005
- June 2005: Linuxtag 2005
- September 2005: FLOSS, South Africa 2005, in Pretoria, South Africa
- July 2005: ApacheCon Europe 2005 in Stuttgart, Germany
- August 2005: O'Reilly Open Source Conference in Portland, Oregon
- September 2006: Wikimedia Conference Netherlands 2006
- December 2006: First Regional Conference of Wikimedia Serbia in Belgrade, Serbia