Grants:APG/Proposals/2014-2015 round1/Wikimedia CH/Proposal form
Community review has ended. You are still welcome to comment on these proposals, but the FDC and the applicants may not be able to respond to your feedback or consider it during the deliberations.
Please do not edit this proposal form directly. If changes are needed, applicants can request them on the proposal form's discussion page. Thank you!
If you need to review the edit instructions you will find them in the editintro.
Eligible organizations may complete this form to request an Annual Plan Grant from the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) in the current round. This complete proposal form must be published in English on Meta by the proposal submission date for each round for your organization's application to be considered. No changes should be made to this proposal form and supplementary documents after these proposal submission date without written approval from FDC staff, and any proposal forms created will be considered 'submitted' after the proposal submission deadline unless the applying organization withdraws the application in writing.
The purpose of this document is to provide the FDC with an overview of your organization's annual plan, the alignment of the plan with the Wikimedia movement’s strategic priorities, and the potential impact of the plan. This proposal should complement any annual planning documents your organization may have such as your organization's annual plan and strategic plan: please complete all fields and add links to supporting documents where relevant. If any documents are submitted in draft form (e.g. an annual plan that has not yet been approved by the organization's General Assembly), please link to the final version of the document once it has been approved, even if it is approved after the deadline. If you are a representative of the applicant organization, you may request permission to add information to this proposal form on the proposal form discussion page. All requested changes will be reviewed by FDC staff.
Please review the documents describing the Annual Plan Grants process, including the FDC Framework, Guidancefor the FDC from the Board, and the FDC's past funding recommendations: FDC recommendations. These documents include critical information for applicants.
If you have any questions about the form, please contact FDCSupport@Wikimedia.org. If you have general suggestions or comments about the form itself, please leave them on the discussion page for this form.
A few terms used in the form:
FDC proposal form terms Wikimedia terms Learning & Evaluation terms
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming year that can be used as a summary of your proposal. (This should be about 200 words, and should be easy for anyone to understand.)
In 2013, Wikimedia CH started its professionalization process with the hiring of a CAO, followed by community liaisons for the German and Italian parts of Switzerland in 2013 and the French one this year. While this significantly impacts our operating costs, the community support team is now complete and we are able to support users and help grow content in each of our three national languages (see branches 1&2 of our Strategic plan). By intervening upstream, where volunteers often can not, WMCH's core ambition is to add significant value to volunteer work - not replace it.
With a Swiss population of 8 millions compared to the overall 280 million French, German and Italian speakers, we believe that the added value of Wikimedia CH resides in freeing content and retaining existing contributors (which we can support across national borders) rather than aim for a user recruitment strategy (except for fixing the gender gap challenge).
With the upcoming launch of projects such as Wikivillage in Western Switzerland and its expected national roll-out in the following years, we are focusing on long term projects that will feed Wikimedia projects with qualitative substance while aiming at economies of scale. In order to do so, half of the time from the community liaisons' schedule will be allocated to establishing valuable partnerships at an institutional level.
The incentive on keeping a strong chapter present in Switzerland also lies in the fact that the country is consistently forward thinking in terms of freeing content (launch of Open Government Data in September 2013; Open Research Platform kicking off end 2014): thus, the chapter's strength and opportunities rest on its ability to establish early on a sustainable flow of content for Wikimedia projects with institutional data. This is why we chose to also focus on Offline tools and Outreach initiatives (branches 3 & 4). This focus is materialized by a major step forward in the support of the Offline technology with the creation of a small software development team.
- 2. Contact information.
- Legal name of organization: Wikimedia CH
- Organization's fiscal year (mm/dd–mm/dd): 01/01-12/31
- 12-month funding period requested (mm/dd/yy–mm/dd/yy): 01/01/15-12/31/15
- Primary contact name and position in organization: Charles Andrès, Chief Science Officer
- Primary contact username or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secondary contact name and position in organization: Patrick Kenel, Chairman
- Secondary contact username or Email: email@example.com
- 3. Amount requested.
|Currency requested ()||US$ ()|
|Total annual expenses of organization||794'424.13 CHF||865'127.88|
|Amount requested from the FDC for the upcoming year's annual plan||500'000.00 CHF||544'500.00|
|Amount to be raised from non-FDC sources (total from Table 5)||256'500.00 CHF||279'328.50|
|Amount to be drawn from reserves for the upcoming year's annual plan||37'924.13 CHF||41'299.38|
|Amount of FDC funds allocated for the current year's annual plan||362'000.00 CHF||394'218.00|
- 4. What is your organization's proposed rate of growth in total budget since last year? Please explain your organization's rationale if your proposed budget will increase this year.
- We proposed a rate of growth of 7% and opt for a conservative prospect for 2016's rate which could be flat or lower than the precedent 7%. Wikimedia CH is reaching a plateau in term of staff requirement. Our experience indicates that we have more chances of success in building a project plan on a 2 year basis as Swiss institutions and Fundraiser are interested in medium to long term investments.
This section provides the FDC an overview of your organization's work with volunteers and online contributors.
- 1. Which Wikimedia community or communities does your organization work with most closely, and which online Wikimedia project or projects does your organization's work support?
- Wikimedia CH targets the German, French and Italian Wikimedia communities. While the German and French speakers we interact with are mainly from Switzerland or the immediate border areas, our influence with the Italian-speaking community extends to most of Northern Italy.
- Wikimedia CH does not restrain itself to one Wikimedia project or another. Our Education programs cover Wikipedia, Wikibooks and Wikivoyage. GLAM partnerships can also provide content for Wikipedia, Commons or Wikisource. From the point of view of the most active volunteers in the three main languages of Swizerland seeking support from WMCH, the core projects remain Wikipedia and Commons, as well as a growing community for Wikibooks and Wikisource in Italian.
- 2. How does your organization know what community members / contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments? How else does your organization consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
- For the third year in a row we have conducted an online call for project to ask our members and community members for the projects they would like to develop in the future. While we realize that this procedure is more adequate for large projects, we asked our community liaisons to see directly with community members what they would like to build. We also decided to add a call for "ideas" in order to motivate people with great ideas but not confident enough to create a whole project or use the WMF:Idealabs in English. This past year, we used all the mailing lists and relevant discussion pages in French and German, as well as the centralnotice in Italian. This process resulted in more than 80 proposals in Italian, around 15 in German and 1 in French. It is remarquable to see the influence of the presence of a community liaison and the use of the central notice in the response rate (the French community liaison was not hired when the Call for project was launched). As a result of this, we will proceed in 2015 with a needs assessments to continue to improve our volunteer support process.
Organization planning and reports
Please provide links to your organization’s planning documents and reports. All of these documents are required unless otherwise indicated.
Your organization's strategic planning documents, past reports, and current annual planning documents, are essential to our understanding of your organization's proposal. If you think you will have difficulty submitting any of these documents with your organization's proposal form by the proposal submission deadline, you should contact FDC staff right away. You may also provide notes to this table here, as well as links to any supplementary documents to this proposal form.
Completed fiscal year Current year Upcoming year Annual plan (including budget) Budget 2013, 2013 Annual Plan, Audit 2013 2014 Annual Plan, 2014 Budget 2015 Annual Plan, 2015 Budget Community discussion around annual plan N/A N/A N/A Annual report (including financial report) Annual report 2013, Not required. Not required. Strategic plan N/A N/A 2015-2020 Strategic Plan
Table 2 notes:
- Because ours is a multilingual country (4 official languages (de, fr, it and rm) + alemmanic (als)), WMCH belongs to and works with several distinct communities. Thus, no "community discussion" link is available as such. Nevertheless, our Annual plan is the result of a planning process which enables us to allocate resources according to each community's specific needs, mostly as a result of last Summer's Call for projects (cf. Quaterly report #3).
Financials: year-to-date progress
The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is spending on your current grant, or during your current annual plan. The period defined as year-to-date should be the start date of your fiscal year you defined in Contact information, until 1 September 2014. Your projected amount should be the amount your organization expects to spend by the end of the current fiscal year you defined in Contact information.
Current funding period planned / budgeted Year-to-date funding period actuals Projected end of current funding period In currency requested In $US In currency requested In $US In currency requested In $US Revenues (from all sources) 543'100.00 591'435.90 423'798.00 461'516.02 460'767.00 663'573.00 Expenses 757'600.00 825'026.40 475'074.00 517'355.59 663'573.00 722'631.00
Table 3 notes:
Programs: upcoming year's annual plan
This section is about your organization's programs. A program is a group of activities that share the same objectives. Please do not include information about your organization's operating activities in this section. You are welcome to provide information about activities like administration, staff and board training, fundraising, governance, and internal IT in another section of this proposal form or in a supplementary document. Please answer all four questions for each program.
Movement and Association sustainability
Notes and References
- we do not track the success ratio as it include a bias in the decision making
- mandatory to promote high quality and high numbers of pictures
- Statistical context: Research:The sudden decline of Italian Wikipedia
- active participation mean giving a conference or running a workshop
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual plan
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, or provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- Numbers for current staff should include staff your organization has hired or plans to hire in this current funding period, and proposed staff should include staff your organization will hire in the upcoming funding period. You should include both permanent staff and longterm contractors in this table and list the number of fulltime equivalents, where one fulltime staff person would be 1.0 (for example, if your organization has 2 part-time staff working at 50% each in a department then you would list the number of fulltime equivalents (FTEs) as 1.0, while if your organization has 1 full-time staff person working at 100% then you would also list the number of fulltime equivalents as 1.0).
Department or function FTEs by end of current year FTEs by end of upcoming year Explanation of changes Administration 1 1 CSO 1 1 Community Liaison 2 2 R&D department 0 1.2 As described in our strategic plan and the below note, we expect to hire a Developer and a project manager to ensure Kiwix's (Wikipedia offline's running engine) sustainability. IT 0.6 0.1 IT is run by a contractor with two contracts equivalent to a 0.6 FTE, we will keep only a 0.1 to cover the hosting and the associated maintenance Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 4.6 5.2 Total staff expenses (currency requested) 460'350 586'024 Total staff expenses ($US) 501'321 638'180
Table 4 notes:
- Following last Spring's Zurich Hackathon, it was suggested that chapters could get involved in smaller engineering/product development programs that fall outside of the Foundation's immediate scope of work. This fitted nicely with our growing need to maintain a viable Kiwix, i.e. the software that is currently used in various offline dissemination programs (be it Afripedia, Kiwix in Jail or other upcoming partnerships in India) and was initially developed in Switzerland by WMCH volunteers. We plan to leave the development of new features to volunteers, but want to ensure that upgrades and compatibility are reliably maintained.
- The current staff expenses do not represent 12 month of 4.6 FTE as the French community liaison and the administrative assistant started their work September 1st.
- 3. Did your organization made any significant changes to your staffing plan since publishing your organization's most current annual plan at the beginning of the funding period, such as hiring more or fewer staff than planned or hiring staff on a different schedule than planned? Please describe any significant changes here.
- The Offline project manager hasn't been hired and we hired a French Community Manager last september.
- 4. What overall percentage of staff time is spent directly on programs?
- 3.85 FTE are spent directly on the Community and Outreach programs. In the Association and Movement Sustainability that integrate most of the administrative task, 0.3 FTE will dedicated to Progam Managment, Evaluation and Design.
Financials: upcoming year's annual plan
Detailed budget: upcoming year's annual plan
- Please link to your organization's detailed budget. This may be a document included on this Wiki (Meta) or as a publicly available spreadsheet.
|Internal Fundraising via Wikimedia.ch||75'000.00|
|Offline Dissemination Department||40'000.00|
|Wikimedia Event (Hackathon, WMconf)||0.00|
|WMF fundraising operational cost||25'000.00|
|Taking in own reserves and report from previous year||37'924.13|
|Other staff expense||2'500.00||2'500.00|
|IT support and website hosting||5'000.00||5'000.00|
|WMF fundraising (Data protection fundraising costs ICS)||25'000.00||25'000.00|
|Local maintenance and repair||1'000.00||1'000.00|
|Office supplies, postage||5'000.00||5'000.00|
|Rental fees for WMCH office||24'000.00||24'000.00|
|subtotal other administrative cost||77'500.00||0.00||77'500.00|
|Total Administrative cost||663'524.13||396'693.85||266'830.28|
|Community support (75'500 CHF)|
|Wikimedians meetings in Switzerland||4'000.00||4'000.00|
|Community Manager budget||3'500.00||3'500.00|
|Support to photography||10'000.00||10'000.00|
|Volunteer-driven project and initiative (Wiki Loves XYZ / Wikexpeditions)||17'000.00||17'000.00|
|Volunteers support coordination||6'000.00||6'000.00|
|Outreach (44'900 CHF)|
|Outreach printed and postage||2'000.00||2'000.00||2'000.00|
|Non Tech Events||2'500.00||2'500.00|
|Offline Tech events||5'000.00||2'000.00||3'000.00|
|Association sustainibility (10'500 CHF)|
|Board budget (training, GA)||5'000.00||5'000.00|
|Other association membership||1'500.00||1'500.00|
Revenues: upcoming year's annual plan
Please use this table to list your organization's anticipated revenues by revenue source in the upcoming year. Use the status column to indicate if this funding is guaranteed, whether you are in the process of requesting funding, or whether you are planning to request funding later. Please feel free to include in-kind donations and resources, as applicable.
Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application)
FDC 500'000.00 544'500.00 Internal fundraising via wikimedia.ch 75'000.00 81'675.00 External fundraising 50'000.00 54'450.00 Members fees 15'000.00 16'335.00 guaranteed Services 21'000.00 22'869.00 Opendata.ch 22'000.00 23'958.00 guaranteed Merchandising 2'500.00 2'722.50 WMF fundraising operational cost 25'000 27'225.00 guaranteed, but the final value depends of the results of the Annual WMF fundraising Offline Dissemination Program 40'000 43'560.00 Trainings 6'000 6'534.00 Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): 756'500.00 823'828.50 -
Table 5 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
- We reached the end of the funding line from the Loterie romande and will be able to ask for a new grant request. Based on the success of the Herbarium project, we were notified that this makes us potentially eligible for significantly larger grants from the Loterie.
Operating reserves: upcoming year's annual plan
Please use this table to report information about your organization's planned operating reserves. Since this information is included here, you should not include it as part of your planned program or operational expenses. There are some restrictions about how much FDC funding your organization can use to build up your reserves.
Local currency $US Total anticipated amount in operating reserves (by the end of the current fiscal year) 125'385.00 136'544.27 Total existing reserves from the current year to be carried over as reserves in the upcoming year 87'460.87 95'244.89 Total to be added to reserves in the upcoming year (excluding FDC funding) 0 0 Total to be added to reserves in the upcoming year from FDC funding only 0 0 Total planned reserves in the upcoming year (should equal the sum of the rows except the first): 87'460.87 95'244.89
Table 6 notes:
- In 2014 our reserves were negatively impacted by the significant growth in staff, as well as organization of the Zurich Hackathon in the Spring. As we do not plan for any further hiring after 2015, we plan to gradually correct any structural deficit and re-grow our reserves to a conservative 9 to 12 months of cash flow (similar to WMF's current policy).
Expenses: upcoming year's annual plan
- 1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
- Program expenses are the costs associated specifically with your organization's programs. These costs do not include operating expenses or staff salaries, which will be described in separate tables. For example, program expenses may be the costs of an event, the costs of outreach materials specific to a program, budgets for microgrants and reimbursements, or technical costs associated with specific programs. The programs listed in this table should correspond to the programs you have listed in the programs section of this proposal form.
Program / initiative In currency requested In $US Community Support 75'500.00 82'219.50 Outreach 44'900.00 48'896.10 Movement and Association sustainability 10'500.00 11'434.50 Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 130'900.00 142'550.10
Table 7 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
- 2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
- These are divided into three expenses categories: (1) staff expenses from Table 4 (including staff expenses for both staff working on programs and operations), (2) expenses for programs from Table 7 (does not include staff expenses or operations expenses), and (3) expenses for operations (does not include staff expenses or program expenses). Be sure to check the totals in this table to make sure they are consistent with the totals in the other tables you have submitted with this form. For example, your total program expenses excluding staff will be equal to the total in Table 7, while your total staff expenses will be equal to the total in Table 4 and your total expenses will be equal to the total in Table 1.
Expense type In currency requested In $US Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) 130'900.00 142'550.10 Operations (excludes staff and programs) 77'500.00 84'397.50 Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) 586'024.13 638'180.28 Amount to be added to reserves in the upcoming year (from Table 6) 0 0 Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 794'424.13 865'127.88
Table 8 notes:
- From the 31st December 2014, Wikimedia CH has to move from its current office as our lease has expired and cannot be reconducted. We will be looking for a new bigger space to contain our staff in full and also to accommodate the request of our members, who wish to be able to organize gatherings for workshops and projects.
DESCRIPTION SUBJECT TO CHANGE: During 2014-2015 Round 1 we will be launching a multi-year funding pilot program where APG applicants can request a two-year funding commitment from the FDC. Participating organizations will provide the FDC with information about milestones for two-year programs during the next year's proposal cycle (2015-2016 Round 1), as well as with their annual plans and budgets for the second year.
Not all organizations will be participating in this program since it is a pilot, and a list of organizations eligible to apply for multi-year funding will be announced soon. This section is included in the current version of the proposal form, to ensure that it is available to any organizations that might need it if they are participating in the pilot. Please do not complete this section unless you know your organization is eligible to participate in this pilot program.
- 1. Will your organization be seeking a two-year funding commitment from the FDC during this proposal cycle?
- 2. Please use this table to show which programs you will continue over a two-year period and list some milestones that you would like to report on after the first 8 months of your programs (to be achieved by 1 September 2015)
OPTIONAL: Multi-year funding pilot program
- DESCRIPTION SUBJECT TO CHANGE: As part of this pilot program, your organization will be asked to report on milestones reached by 1 September 2015 for your two-year programs by 1 October 2015. This information will be reviewed by the FDC during the 2015-2016 Round 1 proposal cycle, along with your annual plan and budget for the second year of funding, after which the second year of funding will be released by the FDC.
Program name Start date Completion date Milestones (by 1 September 2015) Notes Community Support already running no ending date
- Support the obtention of 30 accreditations for 5 different volunteers
- Support 5 Commons volunteers by providing qualitative photographic equipment
- Support the organization of 1 Wiki Loves XYZ by swiss volunteers
- Support Wikimedian's ideas by providing 12 micro-grants
- Increase Diversity by organizing 6 Editing Ateliers focused on Women
- The wikipedia Observatory will be up and running in the Italian wikipedia
- Needs assessments will have been conducted
community support is the core program of Wikimedia CH, we do not plan to terminate it. Outreach - GLAM service October 1st 2014 2019
- The GLAMwikitoolset service is up and running
- The GLAM Brochure has been successfully distributed to 200 swiss GLAM with a 20% response ratio
Our GLAM Sub-program is service oriented and aims to become self-supporting. While the number of "customers" for this program is huge in Switzerland, this program has a medium term life expectancy. Outreach - ODP January 1st 2014 -(R&D January 1st 2015) evaluation after three years
- The Online shop will be ready to be deployed
- one new partnership with a NGO will be ongoing
- one specific hackathons dedicated to the Offline technology will be organized
- the Kiwix automated test strategy will be set-up and the pilot experiment with Kiwix for Android will be ongoing.
- The fulltext search functionality will be added.
- The big donors strategy will be raised by at least 10'000 CHF
ODP is a unique program in the Wikimedia Movement, this program address the issue of the knowledge divide due to digital divide, therefore it has a mid to long term nature. Outreach - Education August 2014 no ending date
- An Education Program will start in a professional school with at least 5 teachers involved
- Wikivillage will be extended to the whole French area and a pilot contest will be started in a German Canton
- one professor will have run a pilot experiment with students doing their Matura work.
- One French-Speaking Teaching School will include Wikipedia learning in its life training course offer
Our Education Sub-program is a long term program aimed to include Wikimedia projects participation in the Curriculum of the Swiss schools and Universities
- Support the obtention of 30 accreditations for 5 different volunteers
Table 9 notes:
The FDC or FDC staff may reach out to you for more information about your two-year plans as part of this pilot program, or may need to make changes to this section of the proposal form based on early teachings from this pilot. Participating organizations, please bear with us.
Verification that this proposal requests no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation for political or legislative activities
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. Grants for such activities (when permitted under U.S. law and IRS regulations) should be sought from the Wikimedia Foundation Project and Event Grants Program.
I verify that this proposal requests no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation for political or legislative activities Yes
Once this proposal is complete, please sign below with the usual four tildes.
- Charles Andrès (WMCH) 16:41, 1 October 2014 (UTC)
Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing.