Grants:PEG/Amical/GLAM & outreach (II)
- Official project name
- GLAM & outreach (II)
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- July 1st, 2013
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
- December 31st, 2013
- Please describe the project in 1–2 sentences
- During the last months of 2013, Amical will continue working with GLAM institutions (specially with Catalan network of libraries), and also with education centers, mainly universities.
- Currency requested
- Amount requested in currency requested
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- 10895.73 US$
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
- US$1.31116 per euro (oanda.com, 26 June 2013)
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Does your organization currently employ any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors?
- If you answered YES, please indicate how many. You may use fractions or percentages for part-time staff if appropriate.
- 1 fulltime staff.
- If yes, please provide a list of their job functions, or a link to your organization's staff page, if it lists all employees and contractors employed or engaged by your organization.
- GLAM projects director.
- Primary contact name
- Arnau Duran
- Primary contact username or email
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
If this project will be executed by someone other than the primary contact for your organization, please list that person's details here:
- Project lead name
- Àlex Hinojo
- Project lead username or email
- Project lead title (position), if any
- GLAM projects director
Goals and measures of success
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- Project goal
- The goal of this project is to develop a second phase of the ongoing collaboration with several GLAM institutions, but with focus on Amical's collaboration with the network of Catalan public libraries. We also want to spread our already done successful model projects to other Catalan speaking universities.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of measurable criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed.
- Measures of success
- Number of libraries collaborating with Wikipedia
- Number of activities organized by libraries themselves or with the collaboration of Amical Wikimedia
- Number of GLAMwiki partnerships going in Catalan Speaking areas
- Number of universities with Eduwiki ongoing/drafted projects in Catalan speaking areas
- Regarding libraries, we will consider this project a success if public libraries start to organize Wiki-related projects/activities by themselves. We also will consider it a success if we can go one step further with the ongoing GLAM collaboration with museums or archives. Regarding universities, we want to scale our case studies done in 2012, so we will consider it a success if other universities/research centers adapt it.
Project scope and activities
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
- List of activities
- This project has 4 branches: A) GLAM partnerships B) Universities C) Public libraries D) Wiki workshops. Those are detailed below.
- A) GLAM: Amical has already several GLAM ongoing collaboration projects. The introducing phase is now almost done and most important museums & archives in Catalan Areas are collaborating with Wikipedia. On the first phase we put some efforts in introducing open concepts and in this second phase we want them to take a more active role in Wikipedia editing and organizing activities. We will do a series of 15/20 GLAM 202 meetings with several museums, designing strategy plans that they should follow to keep the GLAM collaboration ongoin. The general idea is that at the end of this second phase they can do things on their own. Some test have already been done in public museums of Barcelona and the idea is working quite OK.
- B) Universities: We have realized in our program evaluation that EDU-related project are a core project for Amical. We have done case studies with different level of students (from school to researches) and now we want to scale. We will organize some presentation meetings with interested teachers in 15/20 Catalan speaking universities. Our goal is to schedule or reproduce our viquimodernisme or viquifabricació projects in other universities during 2014, so we need to convince teachers during fall 2013.
- C) Public libraries: We will do our second phase of our ongoing collaboration project, where we will train some lead librarians to be the "area leaders". We'll also want to start a network of "wiki corners" in Public Libraries, where the public library will be our "local access entry point" to Wikipedia. If someone has a doubt about wiki, he can go to his/her public library and ask the librarian. Some tests have been already done and they are working OK, we now are spreading the network.
- D) Wikipedia workshops: Wikipedia workshops are one of our basics recruitement activities. Sometimes we do them on public libraries or other GLAM so we can join some efforts, and it is a way for us to do outreach out of urban areas. We will do about 20 workshops during this second semester.
Budget and resources
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|MUSEUM PARTNERSHIPS||JUL-DEC 2013||Develope ongoing projects with several Catalan Museums, promoting content donations & other partnerships into Wikimedia projects (Commons, Wikipedia, Wikisource||15||240€||25||1000€||0||0||100€||0||100€||1440€|
|UNIVERSITIES||JUL-DEC 2013||Copy Viquimodernisme & Viquifabricació project in other Catalan Universities, presenting it among 21 Catalan speaking Universities||21||950€||15||600€||0||400€||0||0||100€||2050€|
|PUBLIC LIBRARIES OF CATALONIA||JUL-DEC 2013||2nd fase of our ongoing collaboration project||30||1500€||30||1200€||0||400€||0||0||100€||3200€|
|WIKIPEDIA WORKSHOPS||JUL-DEC 2013||Spreading Wikipedia amonb Catalan speaking territories||10||400€||18||720€||0||200€||200€||0||100€||1620€|
- see important note below
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the WMF Grants Program
- 8310€ (see note below)
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
Those funds help pay for the GLAM project director salary, and some of the other expenses.
- Town council of Barcelona 4500 €
- History Agency from Catalan government 2300 €
- Design Museum of Barcelona (universities project) 4500 €
- Joan Miró Foundation 1500 €
- Barcelona County department 1500 €
- IMPORTANT NOTE
Amical was funded with a previous grant during the period ranging from June 2012 to June 2013: Grants:Amical/Glam & outreach. This grant is close to completion (to be announced during the upcoming days). We have had some remaining funds (around 15000€) because of different factors, mainly because of an austere administration, the abortion of the project of elder people (as we saw from the begining it wasn't successful at all) and the obtaining of resources from other institutions (which helped funding the GLAM director salary but also other related expenses which, at first, we expected to cover with the WMF grant).
We wish to request the reallocation of part of these remaining funds (according to Grants:Index/Reporting requirements#Remaining funds) to fund this new grant (in case it gets accepted), and we shall return the remaining unused funds to the WMF (as per Grants:Index/Return unused funds to WMF).
See a description of nonfinancial assistance available. Please inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
- We want to scale our public libraries project when finished and we would like some help from other Chapters or WMF to scale it, as we are still learning to collaborate at an international level.
- We would like to write some blog post on the WMF's blog about our "Education tour" once we know the results from it.
This section is optional. It may be used to highlight the potential grantee's potential for successfully executing this project.
- List of team members (names or usernames): Kippelboy, Barcelona, Arnaugir, Davidpar, KRLS, Amadalvarez, Galazan, ESM, etc.
- Endorsements from community members or movement groups: lots of press coverage (check Amical Wikimedia monthly reports)
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects: Grants:Amical/Glam & outreach (close to completion and reporting)
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategy
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach (more people will access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- quality (more content, more useful content, or higher-quality content),
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move you or the Wikimedia community forward),
- or financial sustainability (how it will help you achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See WMF Grants Program criteria for decisionmaking.
- GLAM projects fit to strategy by bringing experts to edit Wikipedia and with content donations (text/images)
- Universities and Libraries projects increases the number of users editing Catalan Wiki. We reached our record of active users this year, while doing a collaboration project with university of Barcelona
- Educational projects boost the quality of our related entries. See wikimodernisme case study.
- Regarding oganizational maturity, We are now focusing our efforts in things that work better (Libraries and Universities) and mantaining but downgrading other efforts (museums, .e.g) to improve our effectiveness.
- We are increasing the ratio of this projects, with the will that they become self sustainable (we ask for collaboration to our partners, as seen above).
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- The project will benefit Wikipedia but also some sister projects such as Wikiquote and Wikisource, because of our work with museums, libraries and universities.
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- The project is mainly related with the GLAM project, mixing it with Education to increase the effectiveness of both programs.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- That's exactly what we are trying to do now, scale some tests done before and reaching more seriuous collaboration.
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- Press coverage of Wikimedia projects.
- Synergies with other organizations around free knowledge and free software.