Grants:IdeaLab/Adding Accessibility Features to Wikimedia Projects
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Wikipedia and her sister projects are universal sources of knowledge, and should be accessible to everyone. Wikipedia already has the best-in-class semantic code and ARIA attributes, but we can improve accessibility by adding particular features for sections of society.
What is your solution?
We improve the web accessibility of Wikimedia projects by adding specific features for particular audiences, like a Dyslexia-friendly mode that changes the typography and color contrast ratios to those more legible for someone with learning disorders, a Night Mode for less eye strain while reading, font size and typeface adjustment settings for users, and so on.
- Add automatic ALT tags for uncaptioned images using Tensorflow or similar image recognition libraries.
Who will you be doing outreach with?
- Make Wikimedia projects more accessible to senior citizens, visually impaired, and dyslexic audiences.
- Allow everyone else to customize their Wikimedia experience by saving their design preferences.
- Increase the number of readers of Wikimedia projects.
About the idea creator
My name is Anand Chowdhary, and I cofounded Oswald Foundation (https://oswald.foundation), where we build new accessibility technologies. We invented the web's first reading solution for people with dyslexia and the world's first smartphone operating system for the disabled and illiterate. We can use our expertise in accessibility to implement specific features to make Wikimedia projects more inclusive and accessible as volunteers.
- Developer Contribute to the development accessibility features Nishantgadihoke (talk) 12:55, 3 February 2017 (UTC)
- Volunteer I would like to help the other people who would be involving in this project by helping them by providing the suggestions that I could give. Kaartic correct me, if i'm wrong 15:06, 3 February 2017 (UTC)
- Advisor I want to make wikipedia even better to understand and some add-on to improve its ability to readers. Sakthi993 (talk) 16:16, 3 February 2017 (UTC)
- Volunteer da doprinesemo radu vecih kampanja kao suradnici zarad unapredjivanja naseg programa AndjelaM. (talk) 17:31, 5 February 2017 (UTC)
- Community organizer & Advisor Here in WikiSoCal, we are also working on accessibility and inclusivity within wiki projects, especially for members of the blind community. Would love to connect our efforts. DrMel (talk) 03:27, 20 February 2017 (UTC)
- I believe that to help the WikiMedia foundation attain the goal of being a universal source of information, the medium should be accessible to everyone. This is a step forward in that very direction. Nishantgadihoke (talk) 12:48, 3 February 2017 (UTC)
- Making information accessible to everyone is the bare minimum we should do. I think having accessibility features built right into the content would be a great addition, appreciated by many! MahendraSinghR (talk) 13:03, 3 February 2017 (UTC)
- I'm from New Delhi, India. I think it's a great idea. Wikipedia should be easily readable to someone with dyslexia. I would love to support this project. 2405:204:1006:BA2F:6067:2F67:99B2:6A3F 13:30, 3 February 2017 (UTC)
- This is a step that could improve the user experience of the Wikimedia projects allowing wide variety of people to be comfortable with accessing the Wikimedia projects. Thus I support it. Kaartic correct me, if i'm wrong 15:05, 3 February 2017 (UTC)
- Increasing Wiki's accessibility through Oswald's products would be a great addition to the website to reach a wider audience including specially-abled individuals / senior citizens. Gamebot78 (talk) 13:30, 4 February 2017 (UTC)
- Something very interesting and important Irohitbhatia (talk) 16:15, 6 February 2017 (UTC)
- One-accessibility tools are wonderful. Two- I like the expansive scope of this proposal--it helps a lot of different users. TeeVeeed (talk) 21:16, 11 February 2017 (UTC)
- Love the direction of this work and endorse. Beyond accessibility to information for everyone with disabilites, I also hope to see opportunities for people worldwide with any disability to participate as volunteers within the wiki movement. DrMel (talk) 03:22, 20 February 2017 (UTC)
- Excellent idea. I would like to provide a text transcript to make the audio information to people who can't read/see my wikipedia articles. Stephaneparis1 (talk) 19:28, 27 February 2017 (UTC)
Expand your idea
Would a grant from the Wikimedia Foundation help make your idea happen? You can expand this idea into a grant proposal.
No funding needed?
Does your idea not require funding, but you're not sure about what to do next? Not sure how to start a proposal on your local project that needs consensus? Contact Chris Schilling on-wiki at I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) or via e-mail at cschillingwikimedia.org for help!
How will you know if you have met your goals?
For each of your goals, we’d like you to answer the following questions:
- During your project, what will you do to achieve this goal? (These are your outputs.)
- Once your project is over, how will it continue to positively impact the Wikimedia community or projects? (These are your outcomes.)
For each of your answers, think about how you will capture this information. Will you capture it with a survey? With a story? Will you measure it with a number? Remember, if you plan to measure a number, you will need to set a numeric target in your proposal (i.e. 45 people, 10 articles, 100 scanned documents).
Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
Do you have any goals around participation or content?
Are any of your goals related to increasing participation within the Wikimedia movement, or increasing/improving the content on Wikimedia projects? If so, we ask that you look through these three metrics, and include any that are relevant to your project. Please set a numeric target against the metrics, if applicable.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing? What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
tako sto sve ideje koje clanovi daju bi se spojile u najbolji moguci okvir koji bi pomogao u radu kampanje.
How you will use the funds you are requesting? List bullet points for each expense. (You can create a table later if needed.) Don’t forget to include a total amount, and update this amount in the Probox at the top of your page too!
jednostavno , na pocetku bi bili clanovi vece organizacije koja vec ima izgradjene planove medjutim nakon punjena kampanjske kase bi se oslobadjali i pustali svoje proizvode na trziste
How will you let others in your community know about your project? Why are you targeting a specific audience? How will you engage the community you’re aiming to serve at various points during your project? Community input and participation helps make projects successful.
na primjer , clanovi bi mogli da vec pocnu organizovano stvaranje projekata sa razlicitim temama.
direktor projekta i savjetnik strucnog direktora ,programer kampane
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?