Grants:IdeaLab/Wikipedia Street Take Over
Who are the people you want to introduce Wikipedia to?
Everyday Nigerians that walk on the various roads in Abuja, Nigeria
In what languages do they search for information, online or otherwise?
In what ways does this group communicate with each other?
Word of mouth conversations and social media
What are some reasons this group would use Wikipedia? How would they benefit from it, or what would they find useful?
Every Nigerian daily consume information which often might be embraced via internet searches. They will benefit from using Wikipedia as a ready tool to find information that they are passionate about
What language Wikipedia projects will you promote to new readers?
English and Igbo
How will you communicate with new readers? Will you be communicating with them online, in-person, or both?
Communication will largely be in-person
Describe your idea to engage new readers. How might it be implemented? What will you tell people about Wikipedia?
- Video shoots
- Fun and entertaining quick questions
- Idea sharing
- Trending Topics on Social Media
- Encouraging people to join the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria and Igbo Wikimedians User Group (Awaiting Recognition)
Do you think you can implement this idea? What support do you need?
I believe that I will be able to implement the idea and deliver on set targets. I will need the below support in the course of the project:
About the idea creator
My name is Blossom Ozurumba and I am excited about Wikimedia and have committed to sharing knowledge about it on social media, seeking editors and driving the advancement of Igbo language across the entire value chain of Wikimedia and its projects.
- Videographer: Godwin Paya
- Endorsed Uzoma Ozurumba
- Endorsed This is a brilliant idea. It's going to ring Wikipedia across the nation's capital. Blossom has been hitting some crazy milestones and I believe she has done some energetic work with the Abuja Hub and Igbo Wikipedia. Feasible and exciting. Danidamiobi (talk) 11:53, 1 March 2018 (UTC)
The Wikipedia Street Take Over will be a 60-seconds (for each individual) video story-telling that will see me as the presenter go into the streets of Abuja, Nigeria and find out Wikipedia awareness of Nigerians and publish on social media (It will be fun, quick and witty).
Trending Topics on Social Media Increased Social Media Engagement (Follows, Likes etc.) for Wikipedia Social Media Accounts Encouraging people to join the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria and Igbo Wikimedians User Group (Awaiting Recognition)
- Advisory (To scale up campaign and fit it within the annual objectives of Wikipedia and Wikimedia Foundation)
Funding Request Expenses:
- Video Equipment Hiring (Weekly at $50 for a total of 12 Weeks)
- Video Editing Service (Weekly at $50 for a total of 12 Weeks)
- Social Media Ad Campaign (Weekly at $25 for a total of 12 Weeks)
- Branded Merchandise (To be given to an estimated 50 interviewees at a unit cost of $6 each)
- Logistics and Miscellaneous (Internet Data, Local Transport etc.)