Grants:IdeaLab/Wikipedia geo-aware app
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Increased local information in Wikipedia.
What is your solution?
By adding smart functionality to the Wikipedia app it can be used to ask users to contribute material, for example information about different locations, photos and historical information.
Who will you be doing outreach with?
About the idea creator
Engineer and scientist in physics and microwaves. Wiki gnome.
- This is a great idea! Sounds like the idea would be to integrate https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikishootme/ like features into our mobile apps! Would love to see this idea developed more. User:Sadads
- I endorse this because I think this is a really great idea!!!!! JustAGuyOnWikipedia (talk) 22:47, 9 February 2017 (UTC)
- I'd like to use this! Nealmcb (talk) 05:40, 10 February 2017 (UTC)
- Great idea, would improve app functionality. Liance (talk) 04:13, 19 February 2017 (UTC)
- Idea is appreciable and much needed for small wikis. مھتاب احمد (talk) 22:24, 23 February 2017 (UTC)
- I think this would be a great feature for Wikipedia users to make their first edits. Just like Yelp and Google Maps ask you to add a photo when you visit a place. This would also work great if Wikivoyage gets an app. Daylen (talk) 04:04, 24 February 2017 (UTC)
- Excellent proposal but more thoughts need to go into it. Should be coordinated with WikiVoyage. Google local guides is doing brilliant work on the same thing and a closer look will help in generating more ideas and would help in implementation. DiptanshuTalk 10:34, 3 March 2017 (UTC)
Expand your idea
Would a grant from the Wikimedia Foundation help make your idea happen? You can expand this idea into a grant proposal.
No funding needed?
Does your idea not require funding, but you're not sure about what to do next? Not sure how to start a proposal on your local project that needs consensus? Contact Chris Schilling on-wiki at I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) or via e-mail at cschillingwikimedia.org for help!