Grants:PEG/UG KO/FANTasia Edit-a-thon
- We will educate basic wikitext to women who have no or few experience on Wikimedia Projects.
- We will create and edit articles about female painters and their works in Korean Wikipedia.
- We will Introduce a basic concept of free license and public domain.
Wikimedians of Korea user group (UG KO) and w:Seoul Museum of Art (SeMA) will hold an Edit-a-thon in the Main Building of SeMA, Seoul, South Korea on September 19, 2015. We will invite women who are interested in female painters and their work but hesitate to create new articles or edit existed articles in cooperation with Ewha Womans University Asian Center for Women Studies. Before the event, we hold a promotion event at w:Yonsei University to explain our event's goal and wikitext on August 20. Also, any people can apply for participation in the event via website that SeMA will build. We will create a project page on Korean Wikipedia, and write down a list of articles that we need to create or edit before the Edit-a-thon. In the event, we will deliver a short lecture on basic wikitext, and
3 to 5 Wikimedia project users and 2 curators from SeMA will help attendees to edit Wikipedia or search multi-media files in Wikimedia Commons.
We expect to improve quality and quantity of articles about women painter and their works. By editing these articles, women attendees can naturally have skills to edit Wikipedia and use other sister projects. We can also contribute to weakening serious gender gap in Wikimedia projects.
Because we hold the event in South Korea, we will mainly contribute to Korean Wikipedia.
Fit with strategy
- Increasing participation - We will contact woman institutions to invite attendees. SeMA will create website and on-line banner to advertise this project. Also we will distribute media metarials to new companies.
- Increasing quality - We will print very short and easy explanations about Wikitext on the papers. Skilled Wikimedia project users will help them to edit articles and keep the policies and guidelines of Wikimedia projects.
- Increasing reach - There are very few articles about female artist and their works in Korean Wikipedia. By creating and improving the articles, we can give more chance that people who have an interest in women art contact to Korean Wikipedia.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG Program Resources for suggested measures of success. Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
We expect following results.
12070 participants (Maximum) 10050 new users (Expected) 10050 female participants (Expected)
- 60 articles edited or created
We will ask participants who don't have Wikimedia project account to create their accounts before registration.
Resources and risks
- User:Mineralsab (UG KO)
- Seung-a Lee (SeMA)
- w:ko:파일:Welcome2WP ko.pdf (translated from File:Welcome to Wikipedia brochure EN, for print.pdf into Korean by User:Jjw)
- wikiversity:ko:자유 라이선스 소개 (translated from File:Introduction to free licenses 2010-11-27 (web).pdf into Korean by User:Mineralsab)
- cheat sheet page 1, page 2 (written by User:Mineralsab)
- Too few participation
- We will meet a staff of Ewha Womans University Asian Center for Women's Studies and other universities in Seoul to invite women students. SeMA will build a special website for the event and create an advertising web banner. This web banner will be distributed under CC BY-SA 3.0. UG KO will create a special project page and link the page to the user news section on Korean Wikipedia.
- Low productivity
- Because we think that most of participants are not used to editing Wikipedia, quality of articles edited in the event may be lower than we expect. We will upload some materials on the register web site to study basic concepts of Wikipedia in advance. We will deliver a short introduction on wikitext and distribute two page cheat sheets to attendees before the Edit-a-thon. Skilled Wikipedia users will help them to improve the quality of articles written by new users.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Food and beverages||sandwiches and coffee||Per person||10,100||KRW||Quote from Twosome Place desert cafe to provide sandwiches and coffee at the event.|
Total cost of project
1,212,000 KRW (1,045 USD)
707,000 KRW (600.312 USD)
Total amount requested
Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program.
1,212,000 KRW (1,045 USD)
707,000 KRW (600.312 USD)
Additional sources of revenue
- SeMA will provide the venue for the event for free.
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
We notified this event on the Village Pump (사랑방) of Korean Wikipedia.
- w:ko:위키백과:사랑방 (일반)/2015년 제31주#FANTaisa Edit-a-thon 개최 예고
- w:ko:위키백과:사랑방 (일반)/2015년 제33주#FANTaisa Edit-a-thon 봉사자 모집
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- For grantees
If you are the grantee or representative that wrote this grant submission, you may request changes by using these links: