This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Main Wikimedia username. (required)
Dhanalakshmi .K. T
- If you are a group or organization leader, board member, president, executive director, or staff member at any Wikimedia group, affiliate, or Wikimedia Foundation, you are required to self-identify and present all roles. (required)
I'm a group leader of an informal Wikimedia group.
- Describe all relevant roles with the name of the group or organization and description of the role. (required)
- I am a initiator of an informal group called WikiWomen Mangaluru. It is an honourary job and not being paid any salary.
- We aim to encourage more women to become Wikipedia editors and also address the difficulties and challenges faced by women while contributing to Wikipedia
- Wikiwomen Mangaluru strives to bridge the Gender Gap in Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects.
- We organise regular meetups and workshops to involve more women in the movement and contribute to women related articles.
- The group is started in the year 2016, as of now, I have organised 10 meetups, 2 Photowalks, 25 workshops (wherein 8 series of editathons and 9 Diversity editathons).
- 1. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Content translation workshops to add women related articles to Kannada Wikipedia
- 2. and 3. Proposed start and end dates for the proposal.
2023-09-01 - 2023-12-31
- 4. Where will this proposal be implemented? (required)
- 5. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign, project, or event? If so, please select the relevant project or campaign. (required)
- 6. What is the change you are trying to bring? What are the main challenges or problems you are trying to solve? Describe this change or challenges, as well as main approaches to achieve it. (required)
Gender gap in Wikimedia projects is a known issue. At present it is between 18-20%. Not only there are less number of women active participants but also the articles related to women are less compared to the articles related to men. I have been working on bridging the gender gap now for almost 7 years. I want to continue my efforts on bridging the gender gap.
This time I would like to add a new dimension of using the content translation tool.
- 7. What are the planned activities? (required) Please provide a list of main activities. You can also add a link to the public page for your project where details about your project can be found. Alternatively, you can upload a timeline document. When the activities include partnerships, include details about your partners and planned partnerships.
I want to continue my efforts in bridging the gender gap by organising a series of content translation workshops to add women related articles to Kannada Wikipedia. I am the founder member of the informal group called Wikiwomen/Mangaluru. Its aim is to work towards bridging the gender gap in Wikimedia projects. Many meetups and editathons under the ages of Wikiwomen/Mangaluru were conducted earlier. Then there was a gap in the activities due to Covid-19. Now it is planned to organise a series of content translation workshops, totaling to 4, at various places of Karnataka with an aim to bridge the gender gap. The plan is to recruit new female editors, help to bring some female editors out of dormant state. But the primary aim is to bring in more content related to women. There is huge content related to women in English Wikipedia. By way of organising content translation workshops, I am aiming to bring in more such content into Kannada Wikipedia. In this endevour, male editors also will join us.
- 8. Describe your team. Please provide their roles, Wikimedia Usernames and other details. (required) Include more details of the team, including their roles, usernames, Wikimedia group, and whether they are salaried, volunteers, consultants/contractors, etc. Team members involved in the grant application need to be aware of their involvement in the project.
I am an active Wikipedian for nearly 7 years and will be taking part in all the workshops as the chief organiser. I will train the new editors on basics of Wiki editing. I will be supported by the veteran Wikipedians of Wikiwomen Mangaluru and of Karavali Wikimedians User Group. The resource person will train on the basics of translation, the usage of content translation tool and will provide guidance on subject specific translations. Workshops will be conducted at various educational institutions who will support us by providing computer lab with Internet connection.
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities? (required)
The participants will be from the Kannada Wikipedia community. There will be many new editors also. The participants will be in touch through Whatsapp and/or Telegram groups. Using these groups, they will be followed and encouraged to contribute even after the workshops.
- 10. Does your project involve work with children or youth? (required)
- 10.1. Please provide a link to your Youth Safety Policy. (required) If the proposal indicates direct contact with children or youth, you are required to outline compliance with international and local laws for working with children and youth, and provide a youth safety policy aligned with these laws. Read more here.
- 11. How did you discuss the idea of your project with your community members and/or any relevant groups? Please describe steps taken and provide links to any on-wiki community discussion(s) about the proposal. (required) You need to inform the community and/or group, discuss the project with them, and involve them in planning this proposal. You also need to align the activities with other projects happening in the planned area of implementation to ensure collaboration within the community.
I will inform the community and take their suggestions by multiple ways-
- Event pages - will be created
- Village pumps - posting will be done
- Mailing lists - posting will be done
- Social media like Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter
- Sending direct emails to those participated earlier
- 12. Does your proposal aim to work to bridge any of the content knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select one option that most apply to your work. (required)
Content Gender gap
- 13. Does your proposal include any of these areas or thematic focus? Select one option that most applies to your work. (required)
Gender and diversity
- 14. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities? Select one option that most apply to your work. (required)
Linguistic / Language
- 15. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select one that most applies. (required)
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement
Learning and metrics
- 17. What do you hope to learn from your work in this project or proposal? (required)
I want to learn from this project-
- The ease or difficulty of teaching content translation tools to new editors
- The ease or difficulty of teaching content translation tools to new female editors
- The sustainability of the editors after the project
- How to motivate the participants to continue editing
- 18. What are your Wikimedia project targets in numbers (metrics)? (required)
|Other Metrics||Target||Optional description|
|Number of participants||150||We are expecting minimum 30 participants in each place. It may vary depending on seats available in the premises.|
|Number of editors||150|
|Number of organizers||2||1 Principle researcher and 1 Resource person. Resource persons are different depending on the availability during the event.|
|Wikimedia project||Number of content created or improved|
- Optional description for content contributions.
- 19. Do you have any other project targets in numbers (metrics)? (optional)
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
- 20. What tools would you use to measure each metrics? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support. (required)
- 21. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it. (required)
- 22. and 22.1. What is the amount you are requesting for this proposal? Please provide the amount in your local currency. (required)
- 22.2. Convert the amount requested into USD using the Oanda converter. This is done only to help you assess the USD equivalent of the requested amount. Your request should be between 500 - 5,000 USD.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).