This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Main Wikimedia username. (required)
- If you are a group or organization leader, board member, president, executive director, or staff member at any Wikimedia group, affiliate, or Wikimedia Foundation, you are required to self-identify and present all roles. (required)
I'm a group leader of a Wikimedia User Group (submitted to the Affiliation Committee)., I'm a board member or president of a Wikimedia Affiliate or mission-allied organization.
- Describe all relevant roles with the name of the group or organization and description of the role. (required)
President, Maithili Wikimedians
- 1. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Maithili Wikipedia Meetup and Workshops
- 2. and 3. Proposed start and end dates for the proposal.
2023-10-01 - 2024-02-28
- 4. Where will this proposal be implemented? (required)
- 5. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign, project, or event? If so, please select the relevant project or campaign. (required)
- 6. What is the change you are trying to bring? What are the main challenges or problems you are trying to solve? Describe this change or challenges, as well as main approaches to achieve it. (required)
We the members of Maithili Wikimedians User Group trying to revive the Wikimedia Movement in Nepal once again. We are trying to bring the Maithili Wikimedians in one place to discuss and plan for the future of the Maithili Wikipedia and Maithili Wikimedians User Group. We are recognized as a User Group by the Wikimedia Affiliation Committee on 8 February 2016. We started our journey from 2016 passionately until the COVID Pandemic hits the world and after that we were completely stuck and still searching to gain the momentum. We think Community Meetup is key to aggregate the members of the Community. Besides the Meetup event with the community, we are also trying to conduct the meeting with College students, professors, Wiki(p)medians, Wikimedia Affiliate members, Wikimedia Staffs, stakeholders, journalists, bankers, emerging leaders, same mission aligned organization members. Our team members are committed this time to successfully conduct this event. The main challenges of the event is to bring interested students as well as others to the Meetup and Workshops, that what we lack from our past events and engage every Maithili Wikimedians User Group members to this event. This time we are taking prevention from our past learning, we will communicate with the interested students and person regularly and make them available for the Workshop event and other Meetup events.
- 7. What are the planned activities? (required) Please provide a list of main activities. You can also add a link to the public page for your project where details about your project can be found. Alternatively, you can upload a timeline document. When the activities include partnerships, include details about your partners and planned partnerships.
For the next four months (after the beginning of the project), We are planning for the following activities:
- Wikipedia Meetup, Wikimedia Affiliates Meetup in different parts of the country with above mentioned persons.
- Engage new students to know about Wikipedia collaborating with the different colleges of Rajbiraj.
- Update and Upgrade the skill of the existing Wikimedians.
- Get a boost for Outreach activities in Nepal.
- Wikipedia workshop for the fresh students and interested persons.
To improve the lack of awareness regarding Wikipedia in our region, we are planning to conduct Wikipedia workshops which will take place over a period of 4 months. The workshops will aim to generate interest among students about wikipedia editing and photo uploading.
The workshops will include the following topics:
- Introduction to Wikipedia
- Wikipedia Editing
- Uploading photos on Wikimedia Commons
- Overview of Wikimedia Sister Projects
- Awareness about Wikipedia mobile application
We have Maithili Sahitya Parishad and MILAF, which are responsible organization to promote and preserve Maithili language. We have good connection with them and they are ready to make collaboration with us.
- 8. Describe your team. Please provide their roles, Wikimedia Usernames and other details. (required) Include more details of the team, including their roles, usernames, Wikimedia group, and whether they are salaried, volunteers, consultants/contractors, etc. Team members involved in the grant application need to be aware of their involvement in the project.
We have following team members with their roles as follows:
- Pankaj Kumar Deo - Project Head
- Biplab Anand - Volunteer
- Tulsi Bhagat - Volunteer
- Bijay Chaurasia - Volunteer
- Nilam Kumari Karn - Volunteer
- Sanjog Deo - Volunteer
We will recruit an Event Manager to conduct the event and workshop smoothly as well as manage the accounts related works, expenditure and communicate with team members, student and other persons in decided time. For the Photography and Videography of the each and every events and to upload the media files to Wikimedia Commons, we need a dedicated photographer to accomplish the work.
For above mentioned work we mutually decided to recruit two persons for this job.
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities? (required)
We are focusing on Maithili Community. We will rent a private workspace in Rajbiraj to gather in person Meetup and for the Wikipedia Awareness Workshop. After the event, we will engage with the participants via Social media telegram group.
- 10. Does your project involve work with children or youth? (required)
- 10.1. Please provide a link to your Youth Safety Policy. (required) If the proposal indicates direct contact with children or youth, you are required to outline compliance with international and local laws for working with children and youth, and provide a youth safety policy aligned with these laws. Read more here.
We will follow the Wikimedia Foundation Youth Safety Policy while conducting the event.
- 11. How did you discuss the idea of your project with your community members and/or any relevant groups? Please describe steps taken and provide links to any on-wiki community discussion(s) about the proposal. (required) You need to inform the community and/or group, discuss the project with them, and involve them in planning this proposal. You also need to align the activities with other projects happening in the planned area of implementation to ensure collaboration within the community.
We have discuss about this event at Maithili Wikipedia Village Pump link.
- 12. Does your proposal aim to work to bridge any of the content knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select one option that most apply to your work. (required)
Other Important Topics (topics considered to be of impact or important in the specific context)
- 13. Does your proposal include any of these areas or thematic focus? Select one option that most applies to your work. (required)
- 14. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities? Select one option that most apply to your work. (required)
- 15. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select one that most applies. (required)
Improve User Experience
Learning and metrics
- 17. What do you hope to learn from your work in this project or proposal? (required)
During the project timeline, we hope to have positive answers to the following questions;
- Were we engaged the existing Wikip(m)edians
- Were we successfully conducted the own UG Meetup and Affiliates Meetup
- Was the community awareness about Wikipedia successful
- Were we able to recruit new editors
- Were we reach to maximum number of interested persons during the project timeline
- 18. What are your Wikimedia project targets in numbers (metrics)? (required)
|Other Metrics||Target||Optional description|
|Number of participants||200||New participants: 190
Returning participants: 10
|Number of editors||100||Newly Registered Users (new editors): 95
Returning editors: 5
|Number of organizers||8||2 or 3 volunteers at each event and 2 staffs at every events.|
|Wikimedia project||Number of content created or improved|
|Wikifunctions or Abtsract Wikipedia|
- Optional description for content contributions.
- 19. Do you have any other project targets in numbers (metrics)? (optional)
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
- 20. What tools would you use to measure each metrics? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support. (required)
- 21. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it. (required)
- 22. and 22.1. What is the amount you are requesting for this proposal? Please provide the amount in your local currency. (required)
- 22.2. Convert the amount requested into USD using the Oanda converter. This is done only to help you assess the USD equivalent of the requested amount. Your request should be between 500 - 5,000 USD.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).