This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Yes, Wikimiens du Bénin User Groupe
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Wiki Tours North Benin
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
The activities on the projects of the wikimedia foundation are concentrated for the most part in the south of Benin, notably in Cotonou and Abomey-Calavi. The goal of this Wiki Tours is to sensitize the other localities of Benin more precisely those of the north of the country to the projects of the foundation. This project will essentially consist in traveling to three localities in Benin: Djougou, Kandi and Malanville and to make discover Wikipedia and its associated projects to secondary students in this part of the country.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
We are convinced of the success of this program because, after our exchanges, we have seen the need for access to Wikipedia. Because we are in areas where it is not only complicated to have access to information but also and especially difficult to contribute to the establishment of quality information. This Wiki Tours in these three cities of Benin will be an opportunity to show learners how they can access information via wikipedia but also to access it offline with Kiwix
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
We want to show students Wikimedia projects first. After, we want to show them how to contribute efficiency on wikipedia. We we also share to them KIWIX.
The project will be runned as bellow :
Djougou- three trainings and edit-a-thons. 28 ; 29; 30 Novembre 2022 Malanville - three trainings and edit-a-thons. 19; 20; 21; December 2022 Kandi- three trainings and edit-a-thons. 9; 10; 11; January 2023
We organize these trainings on site in order to avoid that the participants have to travel a lot. Thus, in each locality, the activities will take place in the school that hosts us. Staying in an environment that they know well will encourage their active participation and avoid unnecessary travel, thus preventing them from exhaustion.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
We will be supported in our activities by Ross.Patrick and Sohouenou.
Since no large-scale projects of the foundation have been carried out in these regions so far, we do not have any experienced contributors in these regions. This activity that we are going to conduct now will remedy that. It will allow us to train people in these regions so that in the future, they can serve as relays and or support us.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Age (regency), Geography, Language
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
We chose age because it concerns the young generation which is the future of Wikimedia. Geography because our activities will take place in areas with secondary status. This activity will take place exclusively in French.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Geographic , Age
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
Before the activities we make a preliminary visit to the schools in order to talk with the learners and their leaders
During the activity, we will pay attention to each participant and make sure that everyone is at the same level. This will allow them to help each other, which will create a spirit of cohesion.
In the perspective of making this tour a sustainable activity, we will stay in constant contact with the tutors of the visited schools as we will provide them with connected routers. This will allow us to stay in touch and to continue to help them even at a distance by organizing punctual activities of contributions after the tour.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
As announced, we will have a first meeting with the learners and their leaders. This meeting will allow us to discuss in depth the code of conduct that governs the Foundation. Thus we will be sure that everyone has assimilated the essentials for the smooth running of the activity and will remind us of the same code of conduct.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
and we have also informed the community about the project on the discussion page of Wikimediens User group of Benin: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikim%C3%A9diens_du_B%C3%A9nin_User_Group#Wiki_Tours_North_Benin
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Improve User Experience, Identify Topics for Impact, Innovate in Free Knowledge
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
By making this Wiki tours Nord, we hope to bring to the population of the north of our country in particular the learners of the cities of Djougou, Kandi, and Malanville which are less equipped than the cities of Cotonou, Abomey-Calavi and Porto-Novo. By this way we contribute to the reduction of inequality, especially in education, one of the Foundation's struggles. It is our way of contributing to the promotion of the Foundation's projects and to the training of our contributors who will continue to make these projects live. This project is the first one in Benin and through it, I hope to improve my community spirit because there are challenges ahead of me, especially those of making people work as a team and together. This pilot project, which is undoubtedly the first of a long series, will teach me how to improve future projects and certainly how to make the spirit of cohesion live better.
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics
|Number of articles written
|Number of articles written or improved by the group of learners in Djougou
|Number of articles written
|Number of articles written or improved by the group of learners in Kandi
|Number of articles written
|Number of articles written or improved by the group of learners in Malanville
|Number of uploaded photos
|Number of photos uploaded to commons by learners in the three locations
|Number of databases improved or created for articles
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants
|In each city 20 learners including computer room managers
|Number of editors
|May it not be an editorial-thon, we will help to create two accounts per institution that will serve as a springboard for our activities.
|Number of organizers
|4 organizers will cover all the activity in the 3 cities
|During the period, we have created or improved at least 30 articles
|During the period of the activities we intend to take photos in these localities to illustrate wikipedia articles that we will have to create during the activities.
|During the activity period the articles created will be Wikidater in order to serve as an exercise.
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
The goal of the project is not to carry out Edit-a-thon but to popularize the Foundation's projects among the populations of the north, especially the schools. Places that are disadvantaged by the activities related to the Foundation in Benin. This tour is a way to get the population of the north to join the Foundation's project. So that they begin to contribute as
those of the south notably Cotonou, Abomey-Calavi and Porto-Novo.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
To measure each selected parameter, we will use the outreachdashboard: https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/courses/Azogbonon/Wiki_Tours_North_Benin
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).