Applicant's Wikimedia username. If one is not provided, then the applicant's name will be provided for community review.
- Banjar Wikimedians′ attitude in contributing to their Wikipedia
Entity Receiving Funds
Provide the name of the individual or organization that would receive the funds.
- The researchers intended to name our entity as “Banjarmasin Wikimedian”
Description of the proposed project, including aims and approach. Be sure to clearly state the problem, why it is important, why previous approaches (if any) have been insufficient, and your methods to address it.
- Attitude is one of the factors that may measure the process of development in individual, groups or communities. Regarding in Wikimedia communities, positive attitude could create proper environment for individual to active and to involve in their local language Wikipedia and community. Otherwise, negative attitude by individual of Wikipedia communities could obstruct process of development the community-self that lead low users’ involvement and low urge to free the knowledge.
Wikimedia Banjar community became an official community lately in June 2021. Since then, Banjar Wikimedians started to engage both monthly encounter and editing activity in Wikipedia Banjar and Wiktionary Banjar (current at incubator). Their participation both in editing and involving to the community is indeed increasing than previous. As the community that officially launched and developed, it is necessary for Wikimedians maintaining this positive cycle. Therefore, it is primary to measure their attitude forward. Will Wikimedians’ Banjar maintain and increase this positive attitude for 6 months forward? Or vice versa?. This proposal purpose to investigate that.
The researchers adopt two main elements in Wikipedia and Wikimedia communities, free the knowledge and Wikimedians’ involvement to their community. For the Banjar Wikimedians, free the knowledge means to write and to spread their knowledge through their Wikipedia language projects. Next, Wikimedians’ involvement to their community refers to individual effort to support, to engage, to increase and to contribute towards their community. Wikimedians’ involvement, could be in term of providing feedback, attending the event and so on.
To obtain the data, the researchers will use descriptive qualitative approach. The researchers purpose to obtain the data every month for six months. In this research, the researchers perceive attitude have three branches; affective (to feel), behaviour (to response), cognitive (to think). To obtain these, the researchers will use observation, interview, and documentation. Observation will be used to find out their behaviour during Banjar Wikimedians monthly encounters. Documentation will be used to find out the frequency of users’ edit and users’ attendance in monthly encounters. Interview will be used to find out participants attitude in affective and cognitive. Regarding the analysis of the data, the researchers will conduct three steps, data reduction, data display, and conclusion drawing.
Approximate amount requested in USD.
Briefly describe what you expect to spend money on (specific budgets and details are not necessary at this time).
- The researchers plan to use the grant with a rough estimate as follows:
- 1. Salary or stipend (in six month, each month is about 1000 USD)
- 2. Benefits (for the participant of the research and communities representative in dissemination are about 500 USD)
- 3. Equipment (purchasing two standard laptops with cost 1500 USD)
- 3. Publishing cost (publishing journal in proquest with cost 95 USD)
This is a rough estimate that the researcher established so far.
Address the impact and relevance to the Wikimedia projects, including the degree to which the research will address the 2030 Wikimedia Strategic Direction and/or support the work of Wikimedia user groups, affiliates, and developer communities. If your work relates to knowledge gaps, please directly relate it to the knowledge gaps taxonomy.
- The research is expected to impact for three significances. First, for the Banjar Wikimedians, it is expected that the research will encourage them to prepare becoming a better community and in-line with Wikimedia 2030 Movement. Second, for other communities, it is expected that the research could become the framework to investigate the attitude of Wikimedians in their communities. The last, it is expected that the research could become a compass for WMF to comprehend the circumstances of small local communities in Wikimedia scope that are less attention in attitude aspect.
Plans for dissemination.
- The plan dissemination is pointed to fellow Wikimedia communities especially in Indonesia. For Wikimedia Banjar community as the object of the research, the researchers plan to present the result of the research for Wikimedia Banjar community and representative of each of Wikimedia communities in Indonesia at the same time. Furthermore, the researchers plan to publish the result of the research through proquest.
Prior contributions to related academic and/or research projects and/or the Wikimedia and free culture communities. If you do not have prior experience, please explain your planned contributions.
- The researchers are active contributors in Wikimedia projects and members of Wikimedia Banjar community. Furthermore, the researchers also often involve in Wikimedia Indonesia activites such as module translation or committee of online meeting and training. The researchers’ forward plan to be active in event and projects under Wikimedia Foundation responsibility such as Wikimania, research projects, and so on.
I agree to license the information I entered in this form excluding the pronouns, countries of residence, and email addresses under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0. I understand that the decision to fund this Research Fund application, the application itself along with all the information entered by my in this form excluding the pronouns, country of residences, and email addresses of the personnel will be published on Wikimedia Foundation Funds pages on Meta-Wiki and will be made available to the public in perpetuity. To make the results of your research actionable and reusable by the Wikimedia volunteer communities, affiliates and Foundation, I agree that any output of my research will comply with the WMF Open Access Policy. I also confirm that I have read the privacy statement and agree to abide by the WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.