Grants:Project/Commons app/Commons Android app v3/Timeline
Timeline for Commons app
|v2.11: Refactor complete for upload process and explore.||10 June 2019|
|v2.12: Network layer overhaul and Nearby overhaul completed, thus completing the entire backend overhaul. Upload failures solved.||10 July 2019|
|v2.13: Nearby filters and bookmark system implemented, p18 issues and user location fixed, category/description modification implemented||10 August 2019|
|v2.14: "Limited connection mode" and pause/resume of uploads, selfie detection (via front camera detection)||10 October 2019|
|v2.15: Nearby item check when user uploads picture with geotag, P2096 (media legend) of Wikidata item filled using metadata typed by user, to-do system implemented for images with no categories/descriptions or with associated Wikipedia articles that have no pictures||10 December 2019|
|v3.0: New main screen UI completed, bugs fixed. Also, outreach workshops held, and video of diverse app users published||10 March 2020|
Please prepare a brief project update each month, in a format of your choice, to share progress and learnings with the community along the way. Submit the link below as you complete each update.
- Grant officially started on 11 March 2019. Completed paperwork to begin grant, assigned tasks, created timeline
- Working on mockups for community feedback, and fleshing out details for each task
- Backend overhaul begun
- Mockups and details completed, discussed, and approved for all UI tasks except main screen UI.
- Backend overhaul almost complete for Explore feature, and is now proceeding for Upload and Nearby features.
- Project maintainer traveling for 3+ weeks starting late April.
- Participated in Wikimedia Hackathon 2019, and GSoC 2019.
- Explore overhaul completed, and Upload overhaul and Nearby overhaul almost complete
- Started work on network layer overhaul (the core developer who is working on this is on leave for 2 weeks)
- Revamped timeline slightly to release the backend overhaul in 2 versions rather than bundling everything into 1, so that we can isolate any issues better
- Upload flow overhaul completed. Nearby overhaul encountering some code issues but will hopefully be completed in July.
- Majority of network layer overhaul completed
- Pre-release testing completed for v2.11. Will release as soon as a few major bugs are fixed.
- Major bugs fixed, v2.11 released to beta
- Network layer overhaul complete except for one issue with authenticated cross-wiki calls (for Wikidata edits via Nearby)
- Upload failures tentatively solved in development branch, aiming to merge into master soon to allow alpha testers to try
- Started implementation of Nearby filters
- Preparing to release v2.12 with the complete backend overhaul and Nearby filters. Beta release is slated for 2nd week of October.
- Still stuck with cross-wiki calls using the Wikimedia data library
- The entirety of our codebase overhaul is almost complete
- Fixing remaining bugs and optimizing code for v2.12 release
- Codebase overhaul complete
- A few bugs left to be fixed before v2.12, this can be tracked on our GitHub issue.
New midpoint report submission date
30 Nov 2019
Our midpoint report is due, but we are very close to being able to release v2.12, which will contain our entire codebase overhaul and a couple of new features. If acceptable, it might make more sense to write the report after the v2.12 release, in which we can observe and report on the outcomes of the release.