Grants:Project/Free Knowledge Africa/Midpoint
Welcome to this project's midpoint report! This report shares progress and learning from the first half of the grant period.
In a few short sentences or bullet points, give the main highlights of what happened with your project so far.
- We have carried out a social media advocacy campaign about Wikivoyage on Facebook and Instagram with the possibilities it offers to promoting tourism, knowledge, integration, cultural heritage and development in Nigeria and the huge knowledge gap that exists about travel information on Wikivoyage, with a call to action via a contest/campaign to bridge the gap.
- We have created short instructional and small sized (to overcome the challenges of poor internet) videos that explains and highlight the process of editing and creating articles on Wikivoyage.
- We have met with travel organizations in Nigeria to see how they can contribute to bridging the gap in information available about tourism in Nigeria on Wikivoyage.
Methods and activities
How have you setup your project, and what work has been completed so far?
Describe how you've setup your experiment or pilot, sharing your key focuses so far and including links to any background research or past learning that has guided your decisions. List and describe the activities you've undertaken as part of your project to this point.
- We have raised awareness about Wikivoyage as a travel advisory in Nigeria through content (blog posts, animations, social media posts) about the uniqueness of Wikivoyage and reach a wider audience through social media promotions.
- We have partnered with organizations and bodies involved in Nigerian culture, travel and tourism towards showcasing, generating and promoting free knowledge about culture, travel and tourism.
- We have generated a list of articles that needs to be created and improved on Wikivoyage.
- We have recorded and edited videos for continuous learning about Wikivoyage.
- We have organized webinars on the intersections of Wikivoyage and local/international tourism.
What are the results of your project or any experiments you’ve worked on so far?
Please discuss anything you have created or changed (organized, built, grown, etc) as a result of your project to date.
- We have created a landing page for the project.
- We have created instructional videos on how to edit Wikivoyage.
- We have identified and partnered with the relevant partners and stakeholders in the Nigeria travel space.
- We have created a list of articles for the upcoming contest.
Please take some time to update the table in your project finances page. Check that you’ve listed all approved and actual expenditures as instructed. If there are differences between the planned and actual use of funds, please use the column provided there to explain them.
Then, answer the following question here: Have you spent your funds according to plan so far? Please briefly describe any major changes to budget or expenditures that you anticipate for the second half of your project.
- We have spent our funding as planned in the final approved budget so far.
- Only a part payment has been settled for the Project Manager and Training Officer.
The best thing about trying something new is that you learn from it. We want to follow in your footsteps and learn along with you, and we want to know that you are taking enough risks to learn something really interesting! Please use the below sections to describe what is working and what you plan to change for the second half of your project.
What are the challenges
What challenges or obstacles have you encountered? What will you do differently going forward? Please list these as short bullet points.
- Delay in getting a response from the grant team for a budget change request affected our preparations and timeline for the project.
- The long duration of the project has been a bit challenging to manage.
What is working well
What have you found works best so far? To help spread successful strategies so that they can be of use to others in the movement, rather than writing lots of text here, we'd like you to share your finding in the form of a link to a learning pattern.
- Your learning pattern link goes here
Next steps and opportunities
What are the next steps and opportunities you’ll be focusing on for the second half of your project? Please list these as short bullet points.
- We would focus on organizing the contest to bridge the identified content gaps.
- We would focus on community engagement to see how participants can continue to contribute after the contest.
We’d love to hear any thoughts you have on how the experience of being an grantee has been so far. What is one thing that surprised you, or that you particularly enjoyed from the past 3 months?
- The project has been exciting thus far and the support received from stakeholders and partner organization has been very helpful.