Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve the content on Wikimedia common project via Wiki Loves Folklore photo contest.
- Recruit new editors through participation and inclusiveness
- Engage existing editors on subjects related to conservation of folklore culture
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- Wiki Loves Folklore (Meta-Wiki: Wiki Loves Folklore) is an international photographic contest organized annually at Wikimedia Commons to document folk cultures in different regions of the world. Wiki Loves Folklore 2022 is a continuation of Wiki Loves Folklore 2021 with the theme of folk culture. The origin of the project started in 2018 from Commons:Wiki Loves Love 2019 in the theme of ceremonies and festivals of love.
The focus will be the contest for media uploads ( pictures) on the topic of folklore culture in Rwanda in the following disciplines : dance , traditional food and cuisine, religion , clothing , music , games , seasonal events , calendar customs , the list is not exclusive , this will have as an objective to protect Rwanda intangible cultural heritage
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
- we have announced the project on the Rwanda user group meta page https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Wikimedia_User_Group_Rwanda/events#2022_Activities_%26_Projects
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
3. How will you let participants know about the contest? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- we have published the call for participation on Rwanda user group page https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Planning_Wikimedia_User_Group_Rwanda
- We will engage potential participants throughout the social media and online adverts as well as other means of mass communication focusing on inclusiveness to make sure participants come from all corners of the society
4. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Note: Grantees, judges, and other contest leaders are ineligible to receive prizes. Grantees who are serving as judges may not receive gifts through grant funding.
- We will put in place a panel of judges for the contest based on detailed terms of reference to the categories of folklore specialty and media formats ( Example: Photos on traditional customs, cuisine; etc)
5. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We will engage the community and especially our editors to write more articles on the folklore culture and use the media materials gathered during the competitions
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- We will run the gatherings sessions online.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- It will be the second time to organize wiki loves folklore in Rwanda and we plan to make it success more than fist time.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants:50
- Number of photos uploaded to Wiki Commons:300
- An in-person cultural event organized
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have an experienced team of 5 editors who will participate in logistical organization.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
1USD = 1,038 RWF
Project budget table
|Category||Item||Quantity||Rate (USD)||Total (USD)||Explanations|
|Pre-Implementation||Graphical designs (Posters & flyers)||1||$50||$50||This amount will cover the design of Posters and flyers.|
|Communication outreaches||1||$100||$100||Will be used for social media platforms (WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram,Twitter) and other means of mass communication for advertising the contest with an aim of reaching out so many people.|
|Communication (Phone calls)||5||$15||$75||This amount will cover phone communication costs for the organizing team during to organize project logistics.|
|Photo hunt||50||$10||$500||This will be needed to ensure participants' transport coverage and or the entrance fee required to visit any traditional place , museums.|
|Camera Rental||10||$30||$300||cameras will be hired to enhance the quality of pictures.|
|Certificates||50||$3||$150||This will act as an appreciation & recognition to everyone who will have participated in folklore project.|
|Prizes||1||$440||$440||Awards to be given to the top 5 participants given in form of vouchers worth 120$ (1st),100$(2nd),(3rd)80$ (4th)75$ (5th) 65$.|
|Internet||55||$10||$550||The internet will serve for photo upload and closing ceremony.|
|Jury gifts||1||$120||$120||Voucher gifts will be given to the judges as the appreciation.|
|Contingency Amount||1||$50||$50||Unforeseen expenses.|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!