Grants:Project/Rapid/Dagbani Wikimedians/Wiki Loves Folklore 2021 Ghana
Please see the sample Photowalk application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- Add images, videos and audios of different cultures from the northern part of Ghana to Wikimedia Commons.
- Create/improve Ghanaian cultural/folklore related articles/items on Dagbani Wikipedia and Wikidata.
- Recruit and train new editors on how to contribute to Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons.
- Engage existing editors to contribute to Wikimedia Commons and other sister projects.
- Recruit professional photographers to the Wikimedia movement through photo expeditions.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- Three (3) photo walks with a minimum of 100 photos from each walk. Ten (10) people will be participating in each walk due to Covid-19 restrictions.
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
- The walks will focus on capturing photos, audios and videos of different cultural groups from the northern part of Ghana where Wikimedia activities are less covered. Their food, music/dance, games, work and festivals.
- List of potential Folklore activities to visit/captured:
- Funeral events - Most funeral services are organized between January and March (Harvest season for farmers) in most parts of the northern region.
- Weddings/Marriage ceremonies - Most traditional marriages are organized during the harvest season.
- Tamale cultural centre.
- Palace of Gariba II, The overlord of the Kingdom of Dagbon.
- Tamale market.
- Local farms.
- Kukuo witch camp.
- kukuo pottery village.
3. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- All images, audios and videos will be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons and attached to the Wikipedia articles. New articles/items will be created on Dagbani Wikipedia and Wikidata
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- 3 professional photographers will join us on each photowalk to provide technical support and ensure that images are of high quality.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- Copy of Risk assessment tool
- Due to the Covid-19 restrictions, only 10 volunteers will participate in the Photowalks and upload sessions.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- A total of 3 photo walks.
- A maximum of 10 participants in each Photowalks.
- A maximum of 10 participants at upload session and editathon.
- Upload a minimum of 400 photos from this project.
- Use about 15% of the total images on Wikimedia projects.
- Create/improve at least 15 articles/items on Dagbani Wikipedia and Wikidata.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- User:Shahadusadik - He is an experienced Wiki Loves Monuments organizer and participant. He has participated in the 2016 and 2017 editions of Wiki Loves Africa and Wiki Loves Monuments, and have organized the 2019 edition of Wiki Loves Monuments. He is an experienced contributor to Wikimedia projects and a professional project manager. He will coordinate the entire project.
- User:Din-nani1 - Will be in charge of logistics.
- User:Musahfm - Will lead uploads sessions.
- User:Zak Raha - Social media campaigns.
- User:Dhee jah - Graphic design
- User:Alhassan Mohammed Awal - Photo Judge
- User:Karimba Asani - Photo Judge
- User:Abubakari Khadijah - Facilitator
- User:Abdulai Jamila - Communications
- User:Masssly - Will provide general support
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Item||Quantity||Unit GHS||Total GHS||Comment|
|Transportation||10||450||4500||Transportation for the entire trip|
|Refreshments||10||120||1200||Food and water for the entire trip|
|Venue Rental (Upolad)||1||500||500||Venue for upload session|
|Projector||1||200||200||Rental of projector|
|Internet Data Allowance||20||50||1000||Internet for all participants to compete in uploads and article creation|
|Internet Data for Workshop||1||500||500||Internet data for upload session|
|Venue Rental (Workshop)||1||500||500||Venue for editathon session|
|Upload Session Refreshment||10||50||500||Food and water|
|T Shirts for Participants||20||35||700||For participants of Photowalks and workshops|
|Best Photo Prize (Gift voucher)||1||400||400|
|First best Contributor (Gift voucher)||1||300||300|
|Second Best contributor (Gift voucher)||1||200||200|
|Covid-19 prevention equipment||20||10||200||Cost of Hand sanitizers and face masks|
|Bank Charges||1||300||300||For all bank transfer charges|
|Grand Total in GHS||11400|
|1 USD =||5.88480||Ghc||Based on Oanda Exchange (January 12, 2021)|
|Grand Total in USD||1,937.19|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support Shahadusadik (talk) 12:24, 8 January 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support I endorse this project. Din-nani1 (talk) 12:33, 8 January 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongly endorse this project Alhassan Mohammed Awal (talk) 14:49, 8 January 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support Zak Raha (talk) 15:41, 8 January 2021 (UTC)
- Strong supportKhadijahAbubakari (talk) 15:57, 8 January 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongly endorse this project Dhee jah (talk)
- Strong support I strongly endorse this project clickhere21 (talk) 16:59, 8 January 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support --Kiraface (talk) 17:34, 8 January 2021 (UTC)
- Support Pablísima (talk) 21:06, 8 January 2021 (UTC)
- Support 13ab37 (talk) 21:52, 8 January 2021 (UTC)
- Support AthinaPetsou (talk) 21:52, 8 January 2021 (UTC)
- Support Great initiative! Yhhue91 (talk) 03:39, 11 January 2021 (UTC)
- I vehemently support this project. 220.127.116.11 17:39, 12 January 2021 (UTC)
- Volunteer I would like to join as a volunteer in editing articles as well as creating new ones. 18.104.22.168 17:37, 12 January 2021 (UTC)
- Hello, Thanks for your interest in volunteering for Wiki loves folklore 2021 in Ghana. Could you please add your username so we could follow up with you? Shahadusadik (talk) 07:34, 13 January 2021 (UTC)