Grants:Project/Rapid/Gaurav Jhammat/Punjabi Wikipedia Content Policy Toolkit
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
The Punjabi Wikipedia came into existence in June 2002, the month in which the first article was written. However, it took almost three years (February 2005) for the second article to be published. In June 2006, the number of such articles rose to 39, and in June 2007 the number rose to 191. In April 2009, almost 7 years after its inception, the number of articles published on the Punjabi Wikipedia exceeded 1000, and in June 2012, 10 years after its inception, the number reached 3400.
In 2013, workshops were organized by the Punjabi community which further increased the number of communities and articles. Even after this, the pace of writing articles remained very slow but still, the number kept increasing. There are currently over 36,000 articles on the wiki, but these articles have a plenty number of articles that do not contain categories or references, are not wiki-style, or are too small to provide basic information about the article. Is It is also very difficult to delete these articles because the number of these articles have a lot of content and due to deletion of these articles, it will hit the number of articles which will reduce. Secondly, such kind of articles like this are constantly being created. So instead of constantly deleting, it is more appropriate to edit such articles and block new ones. After thinking for a long time on this point, we have come to the conclusion that the Punjabi community now needs policies that can determine the quality of an article. So we have drawn up this project to create a policy toolkit. The key points of this policy toolkit are:
- Deleting an unwanted or stub article that Punjabi Wiki does not need at all.
- Put appropriate tags on a inadequate or stub article.
- Determining what the minimum length or size for any wiki article should be or how many reference categories it should contain.
- Determining what a wiki article should look like in language means that the article should be large as well as wiki-style.
- Setting the standard for good articles on the wiki
- Awareness of Punjabi users about wiki quality
Now, in a nutshell, this project is about formulating some policies for the standardization of Punjabi Wiki, which Punjabi Wiki is in dire need of at present. Apart from the policies under this project, there is also an idea to create some technical tools. The help of a specialist will be sought for this venture. It will be ensured that future articles are in line with these policies. The above discussion can be summed up in two points to state the main objectives of the project:
(1) Set up a policy toolkit for standardization of content (already available content and future content) on Punjabi Wikipedia as well as can make a rough draft for other Indian language Wikipedia if they need it.
(2) To create 5-10 model articles according to these policies and setting a standard for a good article or standard articles on Punjabi Wikipedia for future.
New users will be selected to create these articles who will be taught from basic Wikipedia training to quality editing. These articles will focus on the language, appearance, style, categories, references, size, hyperlinks, headings, or sub-headings of the article. A special review committee will be constituted to look into the matter. In this way, the project is adding new users as well as the support of existing community members. We have created a Google form to find out the views of the community on the selection of the committee through which we are currently getting the views of the community.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- In first month : We will start drafting Punjabi Wikipedia Content Policy Toolkit. Parallel we will list the very important articles who hasn't created on Punjabi Wikipedia and then we will distribute these articles to participants who will create these articles.
- In second month : I will share this draft with my community and we will have take their feedback suggestions and opinions. we will take other Indic community's views too. in this whole month, we will improve this toolkit. Also we will conduct two workshops for our participants. one workshop will be about basic editing and second one will be about teaching them quality editing. in this we will go through the toolkit and participants will start create articles according to policy toolkit.
- In third month : We will review and improve the articles and see how they are close to these polices. We will also see if we need any change in our toolkit because now we have its applications too. meanwhile participants will edit and improve some existing articles. The participants will be honored by some appreciation award like any book-set in last.
- In fourth month : We will finalize the policy toolkit and document all the contribution done by the participants. We will also write project report.
As to check the relevancy and community interest for this kind of project, we had organized a past event named Wiki Loves Literature in which around 10 participants take part and did quality editing in Punjabi Wikipedia as they add quality references, images from commons, added categories and proofread the article. In addition to this i have created some sample articles by which we can say we can start our research article writing from this level. Although we dont have any content policy yet. so these artciles are not exactly perfect but we have tried to keep them close to quality editing. These are :
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
We will use the village pump and editors talk pages to notify and communicate about this project. We will also use social media groups to be in touch with participants as they need any technical help, support or any kind of source for article editing. We will document our meetups and workshop sessions on etherpad and meta too.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
At the end of the project, we will have our own community content creation policy toolkit by which we can resolve our present and future article quality issues. We will also get some quality editors who know how to edit Wikipedia effectively and then that trained wikimedians can be turned into future workshop's trainers. We can also evaluate our all wiki articles with the help of this toolkit. So in future, we will try to keep developing other articles according to this policy.
Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
Our mostly work will be done by home or any other's own place. We will conduct atleast two workshops (and meetups if needed). At present, we are planning it offline mode but if necessary as per covid restrictions, we can turn into online too.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- No of members in Policymaker team (Punjabi community) : 4
- No of memmbrs from other indic communities (to get suggestion or opnion about their policies) : 1
- No of total participants (who will create artciles) : 5
- No of articles to be created : atleast 5
- Reviewers or Jury Members : 2
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
We are preferring research material available online as its safe and easier to get reference and information needed for content creation. Then for offline sources (books), we will chose a resource person or persons who will go to library and send that book's chapter, article in scanned form to related wikipedian. These resouce persons will work as volunteer as they are already research socolars in university. in the end of project, they will get honored too by bookset.
- Online sources - shodhganga, punjabipedia, google scholar, sikhbookclub, youtube, e-newspapers.
- Offline sources - thesis in library, books, journals, encyclopedias.
- User:Gaurav Jhammat (Community Coordinator) : He is an Research Scholar and academic author and translator. He has done his graduation, post-graduation in Punjabi language and literature with specialization. He has done M.Phil. in this field too and currently pursuing his Ph.D. from University of Delhi. He has a research experience at University of Delhi for 5 years. He has research paper, news paper articles creative writing publications too. In short, he is aware of Punjabi language nuances and So he can find and raise the problems in Punjabi wiki articles and find any solution for it. In addition, he is active Punjabi Wikipedia editor from 2013. He has organized various workshops, wiki-events. He is former contact person of Punjabi Wikimedians User Group too. He is the native speaker of Punjabi Language and with a academic experience, he can write or proofread it too.
- User:Neechalkaran (Volunteer Assistant) : He is a tamil wikipedian and techical expert. He will assist us in this project by providing his technical support under volunteer capacity. He will create some technical tools to improvise the content on Punjabi Wikipedia.
- User:Nitesh Gill (Advisor) : She is also studying for her PhD in Punjabi language and literature at the University of Delhi. She is a long-term Punjabi Wikimedian who has been engaging with various Indic communities in both professional and volunteer capacities.
- User:Satdeep Gill (Advisor) : He is the Program Officer, GLAM & Culture at the Wikimedia Foundation and he is an experienced Punjabi Wikipedian and member of Punjabi Wikimedians User group.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
Project Budget Table
|Number||Category||Cost per Month (in INR)||Total Cost for project (in INR)||Notes|
|1||Community Coordination and Project Management||50000||2,00,000||Gaurav Jhammat will create Policies for Good article and Research Article on Punjabi Wikipedia and then will engage the community into for reviewing and betterment. Project Management will also include adding new editors to the community who will be trained for contributing high quality content to wikipedia as per policies to be set.|
|2||Workshops and Meetups||20000||Training for new editors about adding quality content to wikipedia and raising awareness about Policy toolkit among them.|
|3||Logistics||15000||Any appreciation gift for Article creation team and Policy review team members.|
|Total||2,50.000 INR (~3343.74 USD)|
- Support - ਨਵੇਂ ਲੇਖ ਬਣਾਉਣ ਅਤੇ ਮੌਜੂਦਾ ਲੇਖਾਂ ਦਾ ਮਿਆਰ ਉੱਚਾ ਚੁੱਕਣ ਕਿ ਇਹ ਜ਼ਰੂਰੀ ਪ੍ਰਾਜੈਕਟ ਹੈ। Jagseer S Sidhu (talk) 13:04, 21 November 2021 (UTC)
- Support - ਇਹ ਪ੍ਰੋਜੈਕਟ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਵਿਕੀਪੀਡੀਆ ਵਿਚਲੇ ਲੇਖਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਸਹੀ ਢਾਂਚੇ ਵਿੱਚ ਲਿਖਣ ਲਈ ਜ਼ਰੂਰੀ ਹੈ। ਸਾਡੇ ਕੋਲ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਵਿਕੀਪੀਡੀਆ ਵਿੱਚ ਲੇਖ ਬਣਾਉਣ ਲਈ ਕੋਈ ਨੀਤੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ, ਇਸ ਲਈ ਇਹ ਪ੍ਰੋਜੈਕਟ ਬਹੁਤ ਜ਼ਰੂਰੀ ਹੈ। Dugal harpreet (talk) 15:20, 21 November 2021 (UTC)
- Support - ਲੇਖਾਂ ਦੇ ਸਹੀ ਮਿਆਰੀਕਰਨ ਲਈ ਇਹ ਪ੍ਰਾਜੈਕਟ ਬੇਹੱਦ ਜ਼ਰੂਰੀ ਹੈ। Manjit Singh (talk) 06:17, 24 November 2021 (UTC)
- Support - ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਵਿਕੀਪੀਡੀਆ ਦੇ ਵਿਕਾਸ ਲਈ ਕਾਫੀ ਜ਼ਰੂਰੀ ਪ੍ਰਾਜੈਕਟ ਹੈ। Jagvir Kaur (talk) 11:07, 24 November 2021 (UTC)
- Support - This would be beneficial project in terms of quality for Punjabi Wikipedia. - Satpal Dandiwal (talk) 14:31, 1 December 2021 (UTC)
- Support -ਇਹ ਬਹੁਤ ਜਰੂਰੀ ਕੰਮ ਹੈ। ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਵਿਕੀ ਭਾਈਚਾਰੇ ਦੇ ਮੈਂਬਰ ਵਜੋਂ ਮੇਰਾ ਇਸ ਪ੍ਰੌਜੈਕਟ ਲਈ ਹਰ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਦਾ ਸਹਿਯੋਗ ਰਹੇਗਾ ਜੀ। Mulkh Singh (talk) 13:24, 6 December 2021 (UTC)