Grants:Project/Rapid/Hadassahlove/WikiForHumanRights on LGBT in Nigeria
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
- Add images to commons
- Improve LGBT topics
- Create a relationship with LGBT Organizations in Nigeria
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are planning 2 editathons in two major cities in Nigeria: Lagos and Abuja which will focus on recruiting editors, creating and improving articles about LGBT and human right activists and topics in Nigeria.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- I have posted notification in the discussion page of Wikimedia user group Nigeria to notify the community about this project.
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
- This will be done through email notifications, invitations and phone calls through partnered LGBT organization.
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, I have contacted experienced Wikimedians in the Nigeria community and also Wikimedia LGBT community and they have shown interest in supporting the program. Some of the contacted Wikimedians are:
- User: Jamie Tubers
- User: Kaizenify
- User: OwenBlacker
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Participants have the necessary computer devices for the project as that's part of the requirements and I will be providing unlimited fast-speed internet that will be used for all the editathons.
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will also set up a Telegram group for all participants to talk and share ideas with experienced wikipedians in the group for guidance. Also we will send a post event questionnaire to get their needs.
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This editathon is one that will further increase the visibility of LGBT in Nigeria especially as it as to do with human rights. I am part of the Nigerian LGBT community and so will be able to break the barriers in getting more LGBT persons to participate.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 2
- Number of participants: 50(25 per event)
- Number of new editors: 95%
- Number of of articles created or improved: 200
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): since our project travels, each event is unique with new users.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Hadassahlove, Event Organizer
- Bisi Alimi Foundation, Partnering organization
- A representative of the Wikimedia LGBT community as facilitator.
- Kaizenify; Experienced Wikipedia editor and facilitator.
- Participants to be provided by the partnering organization.
- Event hall to be provided by the partnering organization.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
This is the budget breakdown for the Project
|Sl.No||Item||Quantity||Rate (NGN)||Total (NGN)||Rate (USD)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|Total Cost of campaign|
(Sumtotal :NGN610,000 (USD 2,000))
|1||Foods and drinks||60||5000||300000||13.51||810.81||This is the cost of food, drinks and tea break for participants, volunteer team and facilators|
|2||Internet||1||85355||85355||230.68||230.68||This is the cost of Spectra outdoor moderm and 60gb data value on it|
|3||Customized shirts||6||4000||24000||10.81||64.86||This is a high quality material and would be strictly for facilitators, the leader of each partnered organization and two best participants.|
|4||Local transport for facilitators traveling||2||50000||100000||135.13||270.27||This would cover the cost or transportation of the campaign coordinator and facilitator within Lagos and travel to Abuja.|
|5||Branded Nose Mask and hand sanitizers||60||1500||90000||4.05||243.24||This would cover the cost of personal protective gadgets so to comply with Covid19 regulations.|
|6||Participants Pack (Biros, book, pamphlet)||50||1200||60000||3.24||162.16||This budget is design to take care of participant pack which include Biro, book and Wikipedia branded pamphlet.|
|7||Media coverage||1||65000||65000||175.67||175.67||This budget is design to take care of expenses around media coverage which include photography, video and online media.|
|8||Contingency||1||15645||15645||42.28||42.28||This is for unforeseen expenses and any bank charges, phone calls, printings.|
|Grand Total: Sumtotal :NGN740,000 (USD 2000)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Endorse This sounds like a great initiative to engage with LGBTQ+ topics and users in the Global South. We need more like this! — OwenBlacker (Talk) 10:16, 12 April 2021 (UTC)