Grants:Project/Rapid/Jamie Tubers/Ilorin Wikimedia Hub Meetup + Wikipedia and Wikidata Workshop
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Jamie Tubers/Ilorin Wikimedia Hub Meetup + Wikipedia and Wikidata Workshop
It's been four months since the completion of Wiki Loves Africa in Ilorin, a very successful contest which launched the Ilorin Wikimedia Hub. Now, we want to follow up this success with a Wikipedia and Wikidata workshop, which will teach these volunteers how to make meaningful contributions to these platforms.
start dateMarch 15
end dateApril 1
budget (local currency)180,000 NGN
budget (USD)595 USD
grantee• Jamie Tubers
organization (if applicable)• Wikimedia UG Nigeria/Ilorin Wikimedia Hub
website (if applicable)• https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UG_Nigeria/Ilorin_Wikimedia_Hub
Please see the sample Meeting application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Socialize with community members
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Mini edit-a-thon/Data-a-thon
- Discuss strategic plans for the hub
- What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
- The purpose of this meetup and workshop is to enable Ilorin Wikipedians, most of whom cannot attend the workshops and meetups in Lagos, the chance to learn about editing Wikipedia and Wikidata. The new community in Ilorin looks promising and this is just one of the events that will be organized in order to keep the hub active and to inspire the Wikipedia volunteers who reside in Ilorin, as well as to recruit new volunteers.
- How will you let participants know about the meeting?
- There's a whatsapp group for the hub already. This meetup will be announced via that platform, as well as, on the mailing list and our social media platforms.
- How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
- Discussions will continue on Whatsapp and the available mailing list. Further clarifications on Wikipedia and its policies, will continue to take place through this platform.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- Number of total participants: at least 20 participants
- Number of new editors: at least 7
- Number of articles created/improved on Wikipedia/Wikidata: at least 10 articles/pages.
|S/N||Item||Quantity||Unit Cost (NGN)||Total cost (NGN)||Total cost (USD)||Notes|
|1||Venue||1||10,000||10,000||33||Heavily discounted fee offered by space owners after the WLA event.|
|3||Food and refreshments||20||3,000||60,000||198|
|4||Backup Generator hire and fueling||1||15,000||15,000||50|
|5||Travel support for WUGN leader||1||10,000||10,000||33||WUGN president for the first time, wants to spend time with the Ilorin community.|
|6||Accomodation||2||20,000||40,000||132||accomodation for 2 nights.|
|7||Contingency and miscellany||1||25,000||25,000||83|
|-||TOTAL PROJECT COST||180,000||595||**Forex rate used is $1 = 304.65, provided by the Central Bank of Nigeria|