Wikimedia UG Nigeria/Ilorin Wikimedia Hub
The Ilorin Wikimedia Hub (IWH) is a local Wikimedia community based in Ilorin, the state capital of Kwara, and also its largest city. The hub is aimed to serve the interest of the Wikimedia Movement in the Nigerian state of Kwara and neighbouring territories. This community seeks to promote the use of Wikimedia projects by the residents of Kwara State, and to also help in creating awareness on how the everyday Kwaran can contribute to the pool of Knowledge, which is Wikimedia.
We aim to achieve this by hosting several projects and events such as: edit-a-thons, GLAMs, Wikipedia Education programs and other projects, which aim to promote the awareness of Wikimedia projects in Kwara State.
- To create awareness about Wikipedia and its sister projects in Kwara State.
- To improve the readership of Wikimedia projects by the people of Kwara State
- To help Kwarans (most especially the youths) to learn about how to contribute to Wikimedia projects.
- To organize gatherings for Kwara Wikimedians, who will not be able to attend the monthly User Group meetups.
- Organizing Edit-a-thons for Wikipedia, Wikidata, etc in Kwara State.
- Promote editing of Kwara-related content on Wikimedia projects.
- Trainings on how to edit Wikimedia projects.
- Wikipedia Education Programs.
- Wikipedia Campus Ambassadors.
- Wikimedia in Residence (WIR).
It has constantly been pointed out in our meetings that we want the community to have a wider reach across the Nigerian federation. We realized that we certainly can not achieve this by basing all our activities in Lagos, which is made up of only 10% of the Nigerian population. This gave birth to the idea of having active communities in other states/territory. The Ilorin Wikimedia Hub is one of such communities. The Hub was founded by Sam Oyeyele, in collaboration with the Wikimedia UG Nigeria. The Hub had its first ever event in November 2017.
please sign below, if you are interested in being part of this community: