Grants:Project/Rapid/Kamal Osama/Wiki Loves Earth 2018 Egypt
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
This project has the following goals:
- Lead the Wiki Loves Earth contest for the second time in Egypt.
- Lead the first Edit-a-athon for the Egyptian protectorates.
- Help recruiting new volunteer editors to Arabic Wikipedia and wiki commons projects with special interest in Environmental and Earth articles. Check the list here
The aim of this project is to encourage and facilitate the capturing and uploading of photographs of Egyptian natural heritage sites, protectorates and national parks under free licensing during the contest month. This includes encouraging those who upload media, to write about their site of choice on Wikipedia, Through this competition, we aim to not only increase the quality of photographs on Commons, but also the number of active participants. We aim to inspire participants to contribute on Wikipedia in terms of improving articles, creating articles or uploading new content and media which can be used on Wikipedia or other related Wiki projects. This is the 1st year that Wikimedia Foundation will run the competition locally and we aim to make this project successful and last for the next following years.
This project has included the following activities;
- Organizing a Photo Competition for natural heritage protectorates in Egypt.
- Organizing a photo walk to one or more natural heritage sites.
- Holding one full day workshop for the participants to get familiar with the Wikipedia community, uploading photos and how to edit on Arabic Wikipedia.
- Assisting with transportation for members who live outside Cairo or on long distances.
- Advertising Campaign online and offline.
This project expect to reach and recruit new editors from different backgrounds but interested to expand the environmental awareness on the Egyptian natural heritage and write on its important sites.
Measures of Success
- +1500 photos uploaded to Wikimedia commons.
- Recruitment +15 new users to create acounts on wikmedia projects.
- Increasing skills for editing for the new users by wiki commons and Wikipedia.
- +3 Featured photos, quality and valued images nominated on Wikipedia or wikimedia commons.
- Organize an Editathon for writing and developing articles on the Egyptian protctorates.
- Mapping the sites of known and unknown protectorates in Egypt.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- User: Kamal Osama Elgazzar Program Leader
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||ِSocial media developer/ Advertising||Poster printing and Online Ads||100||$||We will use media websites to promote the contest and print posters to be published in public places.|
|2||Regular Meetups for the Edit-a-athon (2-3 Meetups with Editors and contributors)||700||700||$||Gathering volunteers for writing aricles on Earth and the Egyptian protectorates|
|3||Prizes for Judges||300||300||300||$|
|4||Short Trip||400 $||400||400||$||to Wady Degla protectorate or any Nile islands in Cairo|
|5||4 Prizes for the winners||Prizes||500||500||$|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!