Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What will your initiative focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The initiative is related to the Wiki Loves Women project. Wiki Loves Women contributes towards the UN’s SDG 5 Gender Equity: achieving gender equality and empowering all women and girls. Within the 2030 Wikimedia Strategy, the Wiki Loves Women project works towards resolving several recommendations, and in particular Invest in Skills and Leadership Development.
- The Wiki Loves Women team recently created a Focus Group. Its membership is made of 12 women, the majority of which from Africa. I am one of its members.
- The main goal of the Focus Group is skills transfer and also to raise awareness of and action to counter the lack of representation of women generally, and more specifically on online platforms such as Wikipedia (or Wikiquote). There are many important and contentious issues within the Gender space, however the group is not aimed at unpacking those. Rather it is aimed at transferring vital skills towards women and men – digital, technical, researching, writing and leadership – that allow them to access information in order to make up their own minds within their cultural specificity. The group will operate through training, mentoring, online learning, peer-to-peer support..
- To plainly and practically experience the skills transfer, all members of the WLW Focus Group have agreed to participate to the #SheSaid drive, an initiative that celebrates women leaders and will take place in Fall-Winter 2021
- This grant request is meant to support participation in the #SheSaid drive in my local community.
- The #SheSaid drive is aimed at improving the visibility of women in creating new or improving already existing Wikiquote entries related to them. It aims to getting women’s voices heard.
- First launched in October 2020, the #SheSaid campaign on Wikiquote has been an amazing success! Across 7 languages, by the 5th January 2021, it resulted overall in 867 new or improved articles (the majority new). Italian Wikiquote was the clear language winner (405 articles) with Ukraine (187) and French (106) coming not so close behind. Given its first edition success and noting that there is still a lot to do, the #SheSaid drive will run again end of 2021.
- Please read the post on diff about #sheSaid (English) as well as this article in French for further background.
2. Are you doing one edit-a-thon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We aim at organizing
- 1 training/presentation session (around July 2021)
- 2 edit-a-thons for #SheSaid (between October to November 2021)
- 1 online Edit-a-thorn session (October 2021)
- 1 online follow-up session with participants (November 2021)
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
- Our main experienced editor will be User:shoodho
- Besides, the Focus Group will organize online training and support for all Focus Group members. Key person for this mentorship is User:Anthere
- Last, our local activity will be organized within a more global framework, with several very experienced editors who can further bring help
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Participants will in general have to bring their own laptops. We will provide a safe place to contribute, with suitable internet connection.
5. How will you let participants know about the initiative? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
Facebook page, mailing lists, messaging WhatsApp, or physical/online gatherings.
- Local communication channels
- Wikimedia Community User Group Botswana/ https://www.facebook.com/Wikimedia-Community-User-Group-Botswana-942442449243813
- Global drive communication channels include
6. What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- I expect to acquire more skills as lead of a gender gap initiative in the wikimedia network
- I intend and expect to have extended my network
- I intend to have more new recruits, training and an active team of editors in my local area, and i intend to follow-up on their editing progress
- New content should have been created about women from my country
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- in-person event will be restricted to only 10 people
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This is the first project of Wiki Loves Women in Botswana and I intend to meet every goal set above.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants :10
- Number of entries created or improved : 50
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Oteng Tiro Sandra Kolobetso / Project Lead
- Candy Khohliwe / Organiser
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Fly Box for internet connection Organisers (Rent)= BWP 800
- Four (4) sessions (snacks) = BWP 1000
- Venue (2) sessions(1 training session and 1 editing session) = BWP 2200
- Transportation = BWP 400
- Internet support for organizer 5MONTHS * BWP450 subscription = BWP 2250
- Internet support for participants during the events = BWP 600
- Branded tee-shirts 7 T-SHIRTS (TOP 5 contributors and organizers) * BWP 150 = BWP 1050
- Marketing material (Poster Design BWP 400 and printing A2 * 400 ) = BWP 800
- Communication outreaches (AIRTIME) = BWP 500
- Small gifts (TOP 3 CONTRIBUTORS GIFT VOUCHERS) = BWP 2000
- certificates for all participants = BWP 250
- social media marketing = BWP 500
- Miscellaneous and contingency funds = BWP 500
- Total = BWP 12850
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!