Grants:Project/Rapid/Krishna Chaitanya Velaga/MOC 2017 Edit-a-thon
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors - Editors with diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds are expected
- Increase skills for existing editors - Though this edit-a-thon doesn't really target this goal, if any editor participates, his/her skills would improve.
- Add or improve content - As we expect 60–100 participants, we expect 30–50 draft articles to be created and this will be followed up.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are going to conduct only one editathon session for this event. It will be conducted on 29 July 2017 or 30 July 2017 depending upon the convenience.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- The community will be notified through the mailing list. Mails will be sent India mailing list and also the Hyderabad mailing list where the event is to be conducted. Also in-house promotion of the event at the venue college will be done. Apart from these, all the semi-finalists of MOC 2017 shall be intimated.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes we do have experienced editors to lead the event. For the organizing part, I (User:Krishna Chaitanya Velaga) and my team will take care of it. For conducting the event, we are planning to have two editors as resource persons, the first one is User:Yohannvt, President of Wikimedia India and the second one is User:Titodutta, an admin on en Wiki and meta, also Program Officer at CIS-A2K.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- As the participants will mostly include the semi-finalists from MOC 2017, they are expected to posses the inherent ability to contribute quality content. In any other case, the participants will however be briefed about the Wikipedia editing policies and guidelines which would ensure contribution of quality content.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Online mentors will send a welcome message to new editors after the event. As mentioned earlier, the participants are expected to start their draft article at the editathon, and support will be provided by the mentors until their first article gets published, and even later.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This is a unique initiative unlike regular editathons. The MOC 2017 is conducted by District 98 of Toastmasters International, an international non-profit organization also based from San Fransisco, USA. The editathon as mentioned earlier will be conducted at the semi-finals of MOC 2017. So here is the unique of collaboration. MOC 2017 has prizes for first and second runner-up as an MacBook and an iPad. So the grant amount would be used to fund this expense and in return they've agreed to provide us venue and infrastructure at free of cost. This collaboration will save us around INR 65,000 i.e. around $1000. Further details regarding the budget breakdown in the following sections. The link for MOC 2017 is here. Also they would be featuring the logo of Wikimedia Foundation wherever there is a mention of sponsors/partners, which adds spice to our image.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: One session (3–4 hours)
- Number of participants: 60–100
- Number of new editors: 40–80 (Probability of old editors chipping in exists)
- Number of of articles created or improved: 30–50 draft articles to created at the event. Online mentor support would be provided till the articles get published.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Below mentioned are the resources we would be provided at free of cost by the MOC 2017 organizers. Costs of resources if the editathon is to be conducted independently are also included.
|S.No||Resource||Costs incurred if the editathon is conducted independently|
|1||Venue (BVRIT, Hyderabad)||INR 50,000|
|2||Infrastructure||Charges for computer facility for 60–100 participants per a day: INR 70,000|
Charges for WiFi/Internet facility for 60–100 participants per a day: INR 20,000
|3||Promotion and public relation||INR 10,000|
|5||Expenses of resource persons (including Travel, accommodation etc.)||INR 25,000|
|Total||INR 185,000 ~ $2,863.66|
|All the resources mentioned in points 1, 2, 3 will provided for free and also the cost of point 5 might get cut down by INR 10,000 – INR 15,000. In return, we would be funding their prizes as mentioned below.|
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- From above,
|1||Apple MacBook Air MMGG2HN/A 13-inch Laptop||INR 74,000|
|2||Apple iPad Air 2||INR 30,000|
|3||Refreshments||< INR 10,000|
|4||Expenses of resource persons (including Travel, accommodation etc.)||< INR 12,000|
|5||Incidental costs||INR 2,500|
|6||Swag for participants (stickers, pins, pens etc.)|
|Total||INR 128,900 ~ $1,995.29|
|With reference to the above table the savings would be around $870|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!