New community space for IdeaLab on Connect
Hi folks. If you're receiving this message, you've contributed to IdeaLab or an Inspire Campaign this year. Thanks for participating to develop ideas and review ones from other Wikimedians.
We are preparing some changes to IdeaLab and Inspire Campaigns. One of these changes is a new community space on Connect, where Wikimedians can find each other based on common activities or skills, and ask questions about the space. You are invited to join this community space for IdeaLab, especially if you would ever consider needing to find contributors with certain skills (like design or project management) or would like to offer your skills to others in our movement. To join, please proceed to Connect/IdeaLab and click on the "Add yourself" button on the right. Thanks, I JethroBT (WMF) 19:53, 21 June 2018 (UTC)
The Wikipedia Library Global Coordinators Meeting
Do you have an idea about how to measure the health of your community? Do you want to review ideas that others have submitted? Through August 10th, we are inviting ideas on how to capture the well-being of Wikimedia communities, in terms of matters like conflict resolution, effective content creation, and being able to contribute in a collaborative environment. Ideas can be focused on either quantitative techniques, such as gathering raw data, or qualitative techniques, like surveying contributors. If you are submitting an idea, guidance is available for how to move your idea into implementation, such as through a grant or starting a Phabricator task to engage with developers.
Wikimedia and Libraries User Group updates and Wikimania
If you are attending Wikimania,
- Bring your books! You can participate in the book swapping we have planned, and swap/leave your books on the table. More details here
- WLUG meetup. We'll be mingling with other librarians/Wikibrarians/activists at the Birds of a Feather Lunch: GLAM and Heritage Birds of a Feather Lunch on July 21st, 13:00 to 14:00 in the London room. Come, join us!
- For your convenience and scheduling purposes, we've put together a list of Wikimedia and library-related events in Wikimania that might be of interest to you, with time and venue.
Bon voyage and have a wonderful Wikimania!
If you are not attending Wikimania, we have you covered too!
- Please help us plan activities for this year by sharing your suggestions on how to implement the top two ideas from the poll results. The discussion is open on the user group talk page.
- The latest meeting minutes of the steering committee meeting (June 28-29, 2018) is now available on Meta.
On behalf of the steering committee,
Writing contest WW2 resistance in the Netherlands
A few months ago, you've been in contact with Taketa about a writing contest about WW2 resistance in the Netherlands that he was co-organising on behalf of Wikimedia Nederland. The Dutch version of that contest ran in May (contest page here), but the international version did not materialize. However, Wikimedia Nederland still intends to organise something, at least on ENWP, for example in November. Since Taketa mentioned that you were interested in the idea, I'm contacting you whether that's still the case. As for the set-up, I am currently thinking about using the contest toolkit on ENWP tot set things up. However, I also saw that WP:MILHIST runs a running contest; maybe it would also be possible to create some tie-in with that contest, for example for the month November? I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this! Best, --AWossink - WMNL (talk) 09:40, 25 July 2018 (UTC)
- @AWossink: Hi Arne, I am really sorry that I missed this message. Yes, I'm very interested in this project, but I am engaged in several other projects until the end of October. So I might not able to help with this at this moment. However, I'll be happy to connect you with some other users who might be interested to help. Pinging the lead coordinator of MILHIS Project, @AustralianRupert:. I am sure that Rupert will suggest the best way to collaborate. Regards, KCVelaga (talk — mail) 15:22, 5 August 2018 (UTC)
- G'day, Krishna and Arne. I am scaling back my involvement with co-ord duties and and am considering retiring from Wikipedia due to various reasons which aren't really appropriate to discuss here. (Sorry). As such, I won't be getting involved here. I will offer this, though: I think it would be best to keep this specific contest separate from the general running contest. To work out the details, it is probably best to start a discussion on the main co-ord talk page to see if other co-ords are interested in offering an opinion, or getting involved. Once the general details are discussed, a proposal should be added to main MILHIST talk page to allow the project's members to have a say. Anyway, all the best with your endeavour. Regards, AustralianRupert (talk) 02:16, 6 August 2018 (UTC)