Grants:Project/Rapid/Lucas Pianta/Editatonas do História na Wiki - Festa da Wiki-Lusofonia
- What kind of event(s) or activities are you planning to hold for your Wikipedia 20 event? Please let us know if these events include a meetup, edit-a-thons, workshops, photowalks, contests, or any kind of campaign.
- We are doing one edit-a-thon and training in Wikipedia and one Wikimedia Commons training and uploading campaign. The Commons campaign will happen in March, and the Wikipedia edit-a-thon will happen in April.
- If participants will be contributing to Wikimedia projects (such as in an edit-a-thon), do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? (If you are not doing this kind of event, please write N/A or leave the section below blank)
- Three experienced Wikimedians are involved in the organization of the events. We are a group that has worked on improving content on History on Wikipedia in Portuguese, that has emerged from an education program led at the Federal University of Santa Catarina.
- If participants will be contributing to Wikimedia projects (such as in an edit-a-thon), do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them? (If you are not doing this kind of event, please write N/A or leave the section below blank)
- All participants must have a computer and access to the internet. No prior skill is needed. One of our goals is recruiting new editors, and we will provide training for new editors in both events. There will be a google meet room where we will be presenting our project, and the rules of Wikipedia and Wikimedia commons.
- How will you promote and let participants know about your Wikipedia 20 event? Please describe or link to the spaces you will be using to inform your community about your activities. Please note there are resources available to support your communications for Wikipedia 20 events.
- This event is part of the Wikipedia 20th-anniversary celebrations, as organized by the first-ever joint effort of affiliated and unaffiliated organizations of Wikimedia in Portuguese, the Festa da Wiki Lusofonia. The Communications Committee of the Festa da Wiki Lusofonia will share the event invites through the community channels (on-wiki and on social media). We will also rely on our own communications channel:
- How will you keep participants engaged after the event is over? How will you be sharing photos, videos, or other content from your activities after they are completed?
- *Before the events all the participants must answer a survey about their previous knowledge about the Wikimedia Projects.
- *We are planning on organizing more edit-a-thons and Commons campaigns, such as contests.
- *We are going to use our social networks to share the results of the events (taken from the events' outreach dashboard) and calling more people to editions in the platforms.
- *After both events the participants will answer a questionnaire about what they liked, disliked, what should keep being done and what could be changed for further events.
- *We will connect the participants of our events to the other events of the Festa da Wiki Lusofonia, specially the weekend of events, planned to happen in May.
- Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- Both events will happen on-line.
- Please confirm below that you have listed your event on the WP20 page on Meta-wiki.
- Yes, the Festa da Wiki-lusofonia event is listed.
- Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Both events will be organized by the three editors of História na Wiki, a Public History project from Brazil. We use our social networks (the ones listed in the second response) to explain how the Wikimedia Projects work, to teach how to edit, and to show how Wikipedia and its sister projects are an important source of historical knowledge, and a historical source itself. In our social networks, we have more than 2,000 followers, mostly related to History, what makes us optimistic about the number of people who will take part in our events. Also, this is the very first time we are organizing events, and the very first time we are applying for rapid grants.
The idea for this proposal is to discuss and edit about themes related to the struggle against racism in lusophone countries, with a special focus to Brazil, as part of the 20th anniversary events. The focus of the Wikimedia Commons campaign will be to upload photos of protests against racial injustice during the last decades in Brazil. For the Lusophone Wikipedia edit-a-thon, the focus will be to edit articles related to race and ethnic relations in general, with the list of suggested articles ranging from biographies of abolitionists and political activists, to sociological concepts such as "systemic racism". Alongside technical training about the rules of Wikimedia Commons and Wikipedia, both events will have 30 minutes presentations with speakers, specialists in the subjects of the events.
Both events will follow a Friendly Space Policy. The specific policy we are following is the one written by the Wiki Movimento Brasil User Group.
Our main goals are:
- Recruit new editors
- Add and improve content
- Help filling the Racial Gap in Portuguese Wikipedia
- Engage experienced editors in editions about the thematics of both events.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project: For identifying the impact, and controlling the editions of the people envolved we are going to use an Outreach Dashboard page
- Number of total participants: 40
- Number of new participants: 15
- Number of people who will help organize the event: 3
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable): 20
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable): 30
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable):
If you are organizing a meetup or event without any contributions to celebrate Wikipedia 20, we request that you ask participants to complete a brief survey to understand their experience and impact of your event. This survey will not request any personally identifying information. Will you be able to collect this information either during or after your event? (If you are not doing this kind of event, please write N/A or leave the section below blank)
- Yes. There will be a survey beofre the events and a questionnaire after the events. We will also be available and keep in touch with the participants in a Google Meet room.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Access to the Internet
- Three organizers: Alebasi24 Pedro Toniazzo Terres and Lucas Pianta, who will work on communication, social networks, design, posts and videos for callings in the social networks, selection of the articles for the edit-a-thon, creating new categories on Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons, trainings in Wikimedia Commons and Wikipedia, revisions of the articles created/edited and the images uploaded, contacting with the speakers, remote support for new editors in a Google Meet room.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 35 T-shirts with the Wikipedia 20th Anniversary and História na Wiki logos + 35 Shop bags with the Wikipedia 20th Anniversary and História na Wiki logos (for the organizers, speakers and active participants) -
R$ 1918 (US$ 357,16)
- Money for posting the T-shirts and bags -
(30 x R$ 15), R$ 450 (US$ 83,79)
- Food Vouchers for both speakers and the three organizers - (8 x R$ 50,00), R$ 320 (US$ 59,59)
- Google Workspace Essentials. The gogle meeting room will also be used for the remote supports and trainings - US$ 8 per active user/month: R$ 257,76 (US$ 48)
- Graphic designer for video editing and preparing images to promote and share the events - R$ 2000 (US$ 372,43)
- 10% of total budget for unforeseen expenses -
Endorsements are not needed for events related to Wikipedia 20. Community members are welcome to provide feedback or questions on the talk page.
- Support. The team has a deep level of engagement with Wikimedia projects and a track record of delivering, having run series of outreach videos and being a leader in education programs. --Joalpe (talk) 14:30, 16 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support História na Wiki have been a great asset to the Lusophone community. Their activities are always well organized and rich in content. Looking forward to see their future events! EricaAzzellini (talk) 21:37, 26 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support The project aims at increasing diversity in the Portuguese Wikipedia with a sustainable approach that has given results in the past. The organizers focus primarily in outreaching to new editors, and secondly on improving content, and rightly so. I strongly agree that focus should be primarily and foremost these new editors - IMO content is merely a way to achieve it, though it could be an added value to the initiative. I don't agree, however, with the use of the expression "racial gap", since AFAIK we don't have the least idea what gap exists there, or even if there is any gap at all, since each one ethnic background is generally seen as private information. A more concrete goal would be advisable there, IMO. - Darwin Ahoy! 13:26, 11 March 2021 (UTC)