Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- Participate in 2018 Art+Feminism Wikipedia Edit-a-thon
- Increase skills for new and existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- I will be co-facilitating the Nnamdi Azikiwe Library post March 2018 Art+Feminism Edit-a-thon. I will join the event from Ghana via Google Hangout throughout the session for two days. My participation will involve:
- Giving an introduction talk about Wikipedia and Art+Feminism events
- Provide training and general support for participants with User:Ngozi osadebe who'll be the lead facilitator
- Generate a proposed list of articles to work on
- Answer questions from participants of the event
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- Posted at Wikimedia Nigeria Usergroup mailing list
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- The event is expected to attract as many as 30 new users. Our community as it stand reacts very poorly to edits from new users, a reason why their [new users] work need close monitoring. Although the key event organiser has previous experience with an A+F editathon, they would still need a helping hand this second time from a more experienced person to support up to 50 persons and respond adequately to their concerns.
- At the end of your project, participants would have received enough coaching that would enable them make at least 1 edit each. They would also be taught to communicate using talk pages. Using the event's dashboard, I will follow up with participants to monitoring their contributions and leave them feedback on their talk pages.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants: 50
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable): 50
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable): N/A
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable): N/A
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
|Internet 10 GB Data
|1 USD = 4.4 Ghc
|Based on Bank of Ghana Daily FX rates (May 2)
Masssly facilitated our 2017 edit--a-thon from remote through Skype. There were eighteen of us then. This year 2018, based on multiple training sessions we organized and publicity given to the program, we are expecting not less than fifty participants. Facilitating such a number from remote may be challenging. We will therefore be very glad to have a more experienced hand, preferably Masssly on the days of our event (May 23 and 24, 2018).