Grants:Project/Rapid/Nnamdi Azikiwe Library 2018 Edit-a-thon
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Participate in the 2018 Art+Feminism Wikipedia Edit-a-thon
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
We are hosting two editathons, which will include a series of training based on the Art+Feminism training materials
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Registered on Arts+Feminism upcoming events titled"Nnamdi Azikiwe Library"
- Registered on the Wikipedia Outreach Dashboard.
- Publicity flier will be displayed on the University of Nigeria Website (www.unn.edu.ng) from Monday March 4 to April 30, March 2018.
- Email circulation of the event has been sent to graduate students, Nnamdi Azikiwe Library staff and University faculty via the internal university mail
list. We will publicize it several more times using this system before the editathon.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Yes, Mohammed Abdulai co-facilitated our 2017 Art+Feminism event last year from remote, and has agreed to join us again this year over Skype. Two of my colleagues, Dr. Scholar Ukwoma (User:) and Dr. Victoria Okafor (User:) facilitated the 2017 event with me, they will be available to help again. All three of use are experienced.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them? Yes, participants have the equipment and skill needed to participate and contribute high quality content.
Soft skills All the expected participants are either PhD holders or students. Plus, we have thousands of books and electronic resources that participants can use as they prepare their articles. Both of the two editathons days will begin with "How to edit" introductory session based on Art+Feminism training materials. Furthermore, we are hosting six short informal pre-edit-a-thon event training sessions to equip interested prospective participants with the needed skills.
At the University of Nigeria, every academic staff has laptop. Moreover, the library has more than two thousand computers available for use. The library also has a standby electric generating plant though there will be need for diesel to power the generator. The University wide internet connection is also available for participants use but is sometimes unreliable. Given the experience of last year, there would be need to supplement the internet connection to ensure a smooth process.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)? Participants will be provided with the link to their entries. This will enable them to monitor additional works being done by other editors on their entries. If there is support, we will like to edit once every month to keep sharpening our knowledge. We will also create a Whats-app group for the participants to serve as a forum where participants will share their experiences on the edith-a-thon as we prepare for 2019. We hope to become the largest Art+Feminism participating institution in Africa in the future.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project? This project will help to increase the participation of University of Nigeria staff in editing the Wikipedia thereby creating visibility for the University. It will also help to increase the content on Nigerian Women on Wikipedia.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 2
- Number of participants on day one: 50
- Number of participants on day two: 50
- Number of new editors: 38
- Number of of articles created or improved: 50
- Number of articles created or improved 50
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Nnamdi Azikiwe Library space and resources will be made available for participants use.
- Event facilitator-Dr. Ngozi Osadebe (User: Ngozi Osadebe, Dr. Scholar Ukwoma (User:) and Dr. Victoria Okafor (User:) will assist facilitator to help manage participants
- Mohammed Abdulai (User: Masssly) will support us from remote throughout the edith-a-thon.
- Nkeiru Iwundu (User: Kate Nwankwo) will manage food counter, refreshment and water
- User Ngozi Osadebe will handle banking and purchases.
- Justina Ekere (User:Nnenna Ukeje) will take photographs and other issues
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- MTN 4G WIFI Router- Internet device only N 36,000.Comments Internet devices only. MiFi devices that can accommodate up to 50 computers, to supplement the wireless network on campus. Although devices belong to the Wikimedia Foundation, we would like to keep them for use in subsequent Art+Feminism events.
- Data for MTN 4G WIFI Router- Data cost only N 36,000; Data cost only. 50GB of data, each day for two days
- VGA CABLE and Splinter N 4,000; To connect multiple projectors.
- Public Address System N 39,000; This is needed to ensure that the facilitator's voice is audible to all participants. The device belongs to the Wikimedia Foundation, though we would like to keep it for use in subsequent Art+Feminism events.
- Projector Screen with 96 x 96 tripod stand N 28,200. To supplement the one owned by Nnamdi Azikiwe Library. This too belongs to the Wikimedia foundation though we would like to keep it for use in subsequent Art+ Feminism events.
- Refreshment and lunch break for 2 days N264,000;Refreshment and lunch break for 50 participants for 2 days
- T-Shirts, and prizes for top contributors N150,000; T– shirts for facilitators, volunteers, prizes for top contributors
- Transportation (people from other campuses) N120,000; 2 days transportation to convey participants from satelite campuses. University of Nigeria (UNN) has its main campus in Nsukka. Nearby satelite campuses are located in Enugu, Ituku-Ozalla and Aba. Participants will be conveyed in a bus to the Nsukka campus for the event. Also transportation is needed for people who will handle purchases like food, water and T-shirts.
- Diesel N 20,000; Diesel to power electric generating plant for 2 days
- Child care N 10,000
TOTAL N707,000 OR $1,964.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support Slowking4 (talk) 00:56, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support This sounds like a great way to get more people editing & get more articles and edits Nigerian women artists. Plus, they are graduate students and PhDs who likely already have research experience, which would feed nicely into Wikipedia editing skills. = Paul2520 (talk) 03:09, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support I co-facilitated Nnamdi Azikiwe Library's Art+Feminsm edit-a-thon with Dr._Osadebe last year. Participants showed plenty of enthusiasm at the event and I'm excited they have decided to plan a bigger one this year. I'm volunteering to support them again. —M@sssly✉ 15:58, 21 March 2018 (UTC)