Grants:Project/Rapid/Mouahé/Wiki Loves Africa 2017 in Côte d'Ivoire
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add and improve the content on Wikimedia platforms.
- Boost commitment of Ivorian contributors.
- Involve new contributors.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
Wiki Loves Africa 2017 in Cote d'Ivoire will focus on training and photo shooting activities. Pictures uploaded on Commons will be used to illustrate and improve articles related to the Ivorian and African work world on the other Wikimedia platforms. This will further add value to the daily work of the men and women of Côte d’Ivoire and Africa.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
We will inform and invite, via our mailing list, members of our community to engage in the Wiki Loves Africa 2017 contest. Visuals and banners will be made available to the members of our User Group for communication on their personal social network accounts.
The Twitter and Facebook accounts and the User Group website will be also used to invite to participate in the contest. All the social media platforms in our community will be in the colors of the contest for the duration of the competition; they shall be used to talk about related activities and promote the contest.
We will also take advantage of our network of journalists to communicate about the contest and engage the public.
All the activities, during the Wiki Loves Africa 2017 period, will be privileged moments of communication and awareness about the contest. We will use gadgets, flyers and goodies for this purpose.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Every two weeks, we will organize "Evening Editathons" which will be divided into 3 workshops: uploading photos, re-using photos on other Wikimedia projects, improving & creating articles.
An "upload challenge" will be organized for participants. The best contributors on Wiki theme Loves Africa 2017 will be rewarded during the "Evening Editathons". The prizes will be in kind (goodies, gadgets) and in cash.
We will organize a total of 4 "Evening Editathons" and 4 "upload challenges".
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
We will hold weekly "Evening Editathons" where we will re-use uploaded photos to illustrate and enhance existing articles or to create new ones.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
Since 2014, our community is participating in the Wiki Loves Africa contest. Our participation has always been honorable. During the 2016 edition, for example, our User Group was the only team to upload more than 1,000 photos. This year, in addition to uploading photos, we are relying on the re-use of the photos by our community on other Wikimedia platforms. This contest will also be an opportunity to encourage the opening of local Wikipedia Clubs.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants : 30
- Number of new contributors : 15
- Number of regular contributors : 15
- Number of articles created or improved : 20
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons : 1000, including 50% in HD
- Number of photos re-used on other Wikimedia platforms: 100 (10%)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Goethe-Institut Abidjan & CNF (Events host)
- Evrard Aka, Project Lead
- Marie-Alice Amichia, Project assistant
The project team will benefit from the support of the User Group.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
Total funding needed : 1,989.82 USD for organization and participation, including :
- 944.43 USD for Travels/Missions (photo training session, photo shooting mission in northern Côte d'Ivoire coupled with the launching of a wiki club, shattered photo shooting (3 cities and 1 tour), 4 uploading sessions and 4 uploading challenges (prizes))
- 459.82 USD for Communication-Marketing (flyers and stickers printing, t-shirts, documents and photoshooting learning guides...)
- 407 USD for Receptions (snack, beverage... for activities)
- 178.57 USD for coordination (compensation of the project team)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!