Grants:Project/Rapid/Nirajan pant/Wiki Loves Monuments 2020 in Nepal
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Engage new and existing photo contributors of Nepalese community.
- Add freely licensed and quality images of monuments of Nepal to Wikimedia Commons.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- This contest will focus on contributing photographs of monuments of Nepal to Wikimedia Commons. The competition is important because it gives an exposure to the monuments of Nepal. It also promotes new and existing photographers to contribute to Wikimedia commons.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- The information about the contest will be shared through:
- Social Media promotion and direct Emails
- Virtual Collaboration with professional photographers teams.
- Local Media Coverage
- Tell a friend to contribute
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- The jury team will comprise 3-4 members. The well-known photographers from Nepal will be invited to join the jury team along with the people from Wikimedia community of Nepal. This jury team will be responsible to judge the photographs based on the different quality parameters (originality, creativity, technical quality, potential usefulness and its value). Prizes will be in the form of gift hampers, certificates and token of appreciation.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- The Wikipedia editors will be encouraged to add photographs to the related Wikipedia articles of the monuments. Organizing online Photo Edit-a-thon will also help to utilize uploaded photographs in different Wikimedia projects.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 50+
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 1000+
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: ~10-15%
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Nirajan Pant: Contest organizer, will create contest pages, answer questions on email and contest talk page
- Nirmal Dulal: Contest organizer, contest promotion, check scores, purchase prizes
- Biplab Anand: Contest organizer, social media, contest pages and reporting
- Santosh Raj Pathak: Contest Jury
- Mohan K. Duwal: Contest Jury
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Prize for WLM: 575 USD (500 USD for Gift hampers for Top 3 Photos (First, Second, Third), 75 USD for the Gift hamper for the Quality contributor by numbers of quality and valued photographs)
- Photo Frames of top 10 photographs: 250 USD (10 x 25 USD) for 12x18 inch frames
- Certificates and Token of Appreciation: 175 USD (100 USD for certificates for the participants, 75 USD (5x15 USD) for token of appreciation to jury members)
- Communication/Internet budget: 105 USD
- Courier and postage charges: 110 USD (for sending of certificates and gifts to winners)
- Contingency: 65 USD (other operating expenses, Social media promotion, promotional materials, bookkeeping and accounting)
Total: 1280 USD (1 USD = NPR 120.04 as of 13 August 2020 according to Nepal Rastra Bank)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!