Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- I have been invited to join the Barcamp Ghana team as a video producer for at least this year on a volunteer basis. Barcamp events will be held in all ten regions of the country throughout this year. This means I will have the opportunity to visit each and every region in Ghana during this one year period. I hope to ride on the travel opportunity to capture high-quality photographs (5K quality) and videos (4K quality) and aerial footages and share onto Wikimedia Commons in the process.
- The goal of the project is to share high-quality photographs and videos onto Wikimedia Commons from major cities and towns in Ghana, including aerial footages. On target are tourist sites, monuments, landmarks, flora and fauna, parks, museums, culture personalities and anything in between.
- In the one year period, some 5,000+ handpicked, high-quality images will be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, along with some 500+ 4K quality videos (including aerial footage)
- In addition, as a Barcamp Team member who happens to be a Wikimedia Ghana User Group member, a Wikimedia discussion, session and or talk will be held at each and every Barcamp event during the project.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- 11 Barcamp events will be held this year in all 10 regions of the country. In each major city or town, I will travel around to any notable landmark, park, monument, and culture in general, and take pictures and videos.
- I will travel days before each Barcamp event and stay days after to follow leads of potential places to capture.
- The checklist I will follow is the one found at Ghana's Material Cultural Heritage page, and the one on the official Ghana Museums and Monument website.
- At each Barcamp event, I will also handle Wikimedia-related discussions, talks and or sessions, introducing as many as possible to the Wikimedia gospel.
Barcamp Event Location Date (All 2017) Bolgatanga 08 April Koforidua 29 April Tema 03 June Tamale 29 July Takoradi 19 August Cape Coast 09 September Wa 30 September Ho 21 October Kumasi 04 November Sunyani 25 November Accra 16 December
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- Via the wikimedia-gh mailing list.
- A Request For Comments: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-gh/2017-February/003422.html
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- At the end of the project, I will have shared some 5000+ high-quality photographs and some 500+ high-quality videos.
- Some 500 individuals would have signed up and or contributed for the first time on any Wikimedia Foundation project websites.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
Number of photos and or videos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
- At least 5,000 images uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (including aerial shots)
- At least 500 videos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (including aerial footage)
Number of New Editors and or first-time editors
- At least 500 new editors and or first-time editors on any Wikimedia Foundation website.
- The biggest impact the project hopes to achieve is making hiqh-quality multimedia content of the diverse people, places and culture of Ghana readily available on Wikimedia Commons, both as an archive and for use for education and research. Eventually, these photographs and videos could be used to illustrate articles and more.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Volunteer: This project has Nkansah Rexford, a member of the Wikimedia Ghana User Group.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Travel costs
- Internet Cost - 110.20 $ ( 500 Ghana Cedis )
- Miscellaneous costs such as Gate fees, etc
- Great idea. I strongly endorse it. —M@sssly✉ 11:34, 21 February 2017 (UTC)
- I think its a great project that needs to be supported, I endorse it Owula kpakpo (talk) 11:47, 21 February 2017 (UTC)
- Support - Looking forward to reading your report. With kind regards. Wikicology (talk) 12:33, 21 February 2017 (UTC)
- Support - Great and interesting initiative. Let's make it work. Best. Enock4seth (talk) 16:51, 21 February 2017 (UTC)
- Support - Rexford in general has been a great contributor to the wikis and this project stands to leave long lasting benefits for all users, which is why I greatly stand in support of it and encourage others to endorse it too. Oralofori (talk)
- This is an awesome idea and it's definitely unprecedented. The barcamps in their own right will be a great learning experience for users and potential editors; having a dedicated media person to capture them will be outstanding. SitsofeOfori (talk) 18:02, 22 February 2017 (UTC)