Grants:Project/Rapid/OFWA/Wiki Loves Africa Ghana 2017
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add more images about occupations in Ghana and improve articles by integrating these images in their related articles or creating articles for non existing articles on occupations in Ghana.
- Recruit and train new editors through the various photo expeditions, upload sessions and edit-a-thons.
- Engage existing editors to contribute to Commons and other sister projects.
- Create awareness about the Wikimedia movement and its activities.
This grant is to enable the Wikimedia Community in Ghana to partake in the annual continental photo contest, Wiki Loves Africa. This is in it's forth year and it will be the third time the Ghanaian Team is taking part. The goal is to increase content in terms of audio visuals about Ghana in terms of occupation on Wikimedia Commons and other sister projects. In addition to this, this project will be used to create awareness about the Wikimedia Foundation and its projects, engage existing editors and finally recruit new editors.
The project plan will be to embark on content drive in terms of getting the pictures, and audio visuals related to the theme of this year's Wiki Loves Africa. This would be executed through photo expeditions, and a contest aimed at encouraging people to donate their pictures related to the theme for the year. Once the pictures or audio are received, there would be a series of upload sessions whereby these contents would be uploaded online. These upload sessions would be used to engage existing editors to contribute to the Wikimedia movement and also used as a training session for new editors on how to contribute to the Wikimedia Commons. After this, an edit-a-thon would be held to help integrate the uploaded images into already existing articles on Wikipedia or to start new ones about them. These edit-a-thons would also be used to create awareness, engage existing editors and recruit and train new editors.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
The contest will focus on visuals and audio visuals about the various occupations, professions and jobs in Ghana. This quest is important in documenting every aspect of Ghana in the attempt to sharing knowledge about our country. We also deem this opportunity crucial in gathering pictures of some very important figures, such as ministers and government representatives, business men and women in different areas of work.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- We will use our social media channels, the mailing list for the community and other tech and volunteer communities to reach out to enthusiasts. After the project we intend getting a reportage about this project both online and in a print media.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- We will have a panel of judges who will set criteria for best images and use these as a basis to select the best images for awards.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We will have follow up edit-a-thons to help integrate some of these uploaded images into existing articles on Wikipedia and using Wikidata for other languages too. For the ones without existing articles, we will create new articles so as to make use of them.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- A minimum of 20 participants in photowalks sessions.
- Upload a minimum of 700 photos from this contest.
- Use about 20% of the total images on Wikimedia projects
For writing contests:
- A minimum of 20 participants during writing contests.
- Create about 20 new articles
- Improve at least 100 new articles
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- User:SAgbley was the lead organizer for last year's edition in Ghana.
- User:Joy Agyepong is an active Wikimedian in Ghana and was a key part of the previous editions held in Ghana.
- User: Flixtey is also a very active Wikimedian and a Community leader. He has been a key part of the organization of the two previous editions in Ghana.
- User:Rberchie is an active Wikimedian in Ghana and has been part of the organizing team in the two past editions that were held in Ghana .
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|ITEMS||QUANTITY||UNIT PRICE GHS||TOTAL IN GHS||TOTAL IN USD||Comments|
|Transportation to site visits||4||300||1500||348.84||We anticipate at least 4 main field trips before the end of the campaign, once every two weeks in 2 months.|
|Feeding||80||30||2400||558.14||No. of trips (4) by number of participants per trip (20)|
|Upload Sessions / Edit-a-thon/|
|Feeding||60||30||1800||418.60||3 sessions @ 20 participants each|
|Awards for winners||2||200||400||93.02||Best photo from Ghana and participant with the most used photos in articles|
|T-shirts||20||22||440||102.33||For team members and other participants|
|Logistics & Management|
|Internet||1||399||399||92.79||For upload and edit-a-thon sessions|
|Team management||4||100||400||93.02||Team transportation and calls|
|Posters/Flyers||1||100||100||23.26||Designer of posters and other forms of electronic flyers for the campaign.1|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Anthere (talk) 11:20, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
- This is a great project for gathering contents on Africa, more importantly Ghana. Providing more visuals to adequately represent or make meaning to related articles. Flixtey (talk) 17:36, 3 September 2017 (UTC)
- I fully support this content drive. There are lots of grey areas when it comes to content about Africa. This project has clearly spelt out goals and the team has organized it in the past with a wealth of experience. I therefore highly recommend this project for support. Rberchie (talk) 18:03, 3 September 2017 (UTC)
- Fully endorse. Islahaddow (talk) 11:25, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
- It is high time most Ghanaians contributed to opensource contents. This project will help create awareness about the open movement and it will also make it easy for content creators to get visuals and audio visual contents for their projects. 220.127.116.11 17:11, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
- It is high time most Ghanaians contributed to opensource contents. This project will help create awareness about the open movement and it will also make it easy for content creators to get visuals and audio visual contents for their projects. Andrews Lartey (talk) 17:19, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
- I fully endorse this project. This will help the Ghanaian community to contribute more contents about Africa (Ghana) on Wikimedia commons. This will help the community to add more images to some existing articles that do not have images on Wikipedia.Shahadusadik (talk) 13:33, 5 September 2017 (UTC)