Grants:Project/Rapid/Omorodion1/Photowalk at Edo State
Please see the sample Photowalk application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- To increase contents on Wikimedia Commons
- To recruit professional photographers for Wikimedia Commons and other Wikimedia Projects
- To improve contents on English Wikipedia
- Engage existing editors
- To create awareness about Wikimedia projects
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- 3 photowalks across the three Senatorial Districts in the states (Edo North, Edo South and Edo Central) and 5 photographers.
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
- The photo walk will focus primarily on architectural buildings, Main entrances, Educational institutions, Libraries, Zoological Gardens, and other landmark areas in the state. Emphasis will be placed on places, institutions and buildings with existing Wikipedia articles without pictures, with examples of such being Ambrose Alli University, Edo University, Iyamho, Edo College, Federal Government Girls College, Benin City, College of Education, Igueben, Auchi Polytechnic, Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, Ogba Zoo etc.
3. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- I have notified the Wikimedia Community about this project via the discussion page of the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria which can be accessed Here
4. How will you let participants know about the photowalk? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- I will use social media channels like Whatsapp to communicate with the participants for this project
5. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- There will be an edit-a-thon immediately after the photowalks to upload the pictures (images) on Wikimedia commons while also linking images to the relevant Wikipedia articles.
6. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Two of the participants currently have good cameras. We will need to rent three more cameras.
- While all 5 participants have good photographic skills, there will be training on how participants can use and upload images on the Wikimedia Commons and Wikipedia. Participants will also be taught the rudiments of good photography.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project will help to give visibility to Edo People and culture, while also helping to close the content gap on the World Largest Online Encyclopedia. The project will significantly improve existing Edo related Wikipedia pages and the output from this project will be relevant for other Language Wikipedia such as the Yoruba (yo) Wikipedia, Hausa (Ha) Wikipedia and Igbo (Ig) Wikipedia.
8. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- yes. However, the total participants for this event is not more than 10.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- If atleast 5 professional photographers participated
- If atleast 300 high quality photos are uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
- If at least 30% of the images collected are used on Wikimedia Projects
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have laptops, 2 Professional Cameras and two experienced Wikimedia editor.
- Omorodion1 will lead this project
- Kaizenify, a professional photographer and experienced Wikimedian, will also bring his wealth of experience into this project.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Renting of cameras $100 X 3 = $300
- Cost of transportation for participants 20 X 5 X 3 = $300
- Food and Drink during each of the Photowalk 13 X 5 X 3 = $195
- Internet data for training, uploading of images and for edit-a-thon = $200
- Branded Shirts for participants $15 X 5 = $75
- Hotel Accommodation $20 X 5 X 3 (nights) = $300
- ID Card, Branded Nose Masks and Hand sanitizer for participants = $30
- Airtime for Communication = $25
- Miscellaneous = $50
Total = $1475; NGN 606,785 Exchange rate used = 411.379/$ (Dollar) as of 4th August, 2021 in oanda.com.
Note: I still have USD 53.03 (excess fund from previous project) in my possession.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!