Grants:Project/Rapid/PH-WC/Bikol Wikipedia Quiz 2020
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To engage teachers in the 13th year of Bikol Wikipedia and 20th year of Wikipedia thru a quiz show
- To encourage teachers to contribute and utilize Wikipedia as an open, accessible and reliable source of information
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
The contest will feature trivia questions on local history, culture and general knowledge which are sourced from Bikol Wikipedia and other editions, as well as Wikimedia Commons. The quiz show is a vehicle to promote Bikol Wikipedia and its sister projects thru a non-editing activity. This is important because it will help raise awareness about Bikol Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons as sister projects which are both realible open source of information which can be utilized in the classroom. Follow-up activities include Wikipedia Philippine Month (March, April and May) and Elkano Project to be participated by the teacher-participants.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Social media promotion
- Facebook groups of teachers
- Word of mouth
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
There shall be a jury composed of teachers specializing in Social Studies, and people from the Wikimedia community. Prizes will be in terms school equipment which is important in distant learning this time of pandemic. A separate of panel of teachers and community members shall create the list of verified questions and answers to be used in the quiz. Active participants in Wikipedia Philippine Month (March, April and May) and Elkano Project shall receive certificate of recognition and rewards in the form of Wikipedia merchandize.
I. PARTICIPANTS. The Bikol Wikipedia Quiz 2020 is open to all public school/state colleges and universities teachers in the Bicol Region.
II. REGISTRATION. Participants must accomplish a Google form and answer a qualifying quiz which they must then submit within the schedule. Only the top two (2) scorers from each cluster shall participate in the Semi-Finals.
III. CLUSTERS. Participants are clustered by congressional districts, cities and/or provinces to give a fair chance to bigger schools divisions (schools divisions are by city and province):
- Cluster A - Camarines Norte province, and Camarines Sur province's 1st and 2nd congressional districts
- Cluster B - Camarines Sur province's 3rd and 4th congressional districts
- Cluster C - Naga City, Iriga City, and Camarines Sur province's 5th congressional District
- Cluster D - Catanduanes province, Albay province's 1st congressional district, and Tabaco City
- Cluster E - Albay province's 2nd and 3rd congressional districts, and Ligao City
- Cluster F - Legazpi City, Sorsogon province and Sorsogon City, and Masbate province and Masbate City
IV. QUALIFYING ROUND. To qualify in the Bikol Wikipedia Quiz, a participant must complete his or her respective Google form then submit it within the schedule. The tentative schedule for this round is on December 22 (Monday) from 12:00noon to 3:00pm. Only the top 2 scorers from each cluster shall qualify. In case of a tie, the participant who has submitted the Google form first shall be given preference.
V. ORIENTATION. The twelve (12) qualified participants will be notified and they must attend an orientation on December 26 (Saturday) on the mechanics of the quiz bee.
VI. COVERAGE OF THE QUIZ. The coverage of the quiz shall be History, Culture, and General Knowledge. The medium in the competition shall be Bikol and English.
VII. SEMI-FINAL ROUND. Only the twelve (12) qualified participants shall join the Semi-Finals which shall be conducted in 2 batches: Batch 1 composed the six (6) top scorers in the 6 clusters, and Batch 2 composed of the remaining six (6) second top scorers in the 6 clusters.
Eighty percent (80%) of the points shall come from the questions in the Google form prepared by a set of a panel of teachers and Wikipedians, to be answered by the qualifiers prior to the livestream program which tentative schedule is January 9 (Saturday) 12:00nn to 3:00pm. The remaining twenty percent 20% shall come from the questions during the livestream program on January 16 (Saturday) for Batch 1, and January 23 (Saturday) for Batch 2.
VIII. FINAL ROUND and AWARDING. Only the 6 highest scorers in the Semi-Final Round shall move to the Final Round.
Eighty percent (80%) of the points shall come from the questions in the Google form prepared by a panel of teachers and Wikipedians, to be answered by the finalists prior to the livestreaming which tentative schedule is January 30 (Saturday) 12:00nn to 3:00pm. The remaining twenty percent 20% shall come from the questions during the livestream program on February 6 (Saturday).
IX. PRIZES. The champion, first runner-up, second runner-up and 3 finalists shall get a certificate, cash prize and Wikipedia merchandise.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of teacher-participants contributing to Bikol Wikipedia (or other Wikimedia project) by May: 10
- Number of participants in the quiz: 60 total registrants
- 1 USD = PHP 48.3260 (as of November 5, 2020 according to www.oanda.com)
- Project budget table
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Apart from the promotion of Bikol history and culture, the project will engage the Academe sector with different Wikimedia projects (in this case are the Bikol Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons). As it raises the awareness and usage of Bikol Wikipedia to teachers and students within the Bicol Region and the Philippines, I therefore give my Strong Support. Ralffralff (talk) 13:52, 8 November 2020 (UTC)
Im strong support - since this project will help to realize to my beloved teacher how the Wikipedia works I mean great help especially in Native Language.. -- ShiminUfesoj 04:42, 14 November 2020 (UTC)