Grants:Project/Rapid/Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton/Photo Course
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- Produce an online photo course in Portuguese.
- Create a social media campaign, using the course as an attractive to potential volunteers.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
Production of 5 videos, of ~10 min each, 50 min in total, based on the 5 classes already under production at Wikiversidade (pt:v:Curso de Fotografia).
This stage of the course is a very basal, a 101 course, practical, using composition in photography as the backbone of the course. Taking the hand of newcomers and use my experience as photo tutor, contest judge, photo retoucher, and photographer to tackle commons issues that I have noticing during these years of contact with photography students.
Being a 101, we start our journey not focus on technical aspects of the photography, the path to understand how to see and how to acquire a proper capability to look the world and understand how to portray that image is significantly more important, even in further stages.
Another indispensable aspect of focus on composition is accessibility. This is a wiki course, to allow more people to attend it should be a priority. When we create a course where the technological aspects of photography are irrelevant, a person could attend it with their available equipment: a cellphone, an old film camera, an old digital one, or even a state of the art, high end, last berry of the mountain camera.
It also has another side effect, the course can survive the time, even with technological advances, having composition as the main aspect grant the application of the course for several more years with little or none alterations.
Techical aspects: They will be a 1080p, subtitle, with charts, images, live examples, and a "face to face". Using examples as big Youtube photo channels Tony & Chelsea Northrup The Art of Photography
The structure of the videos will follow the classes structure:
- Corrrection of the exercise of previous class
- Getting deeper in the kwoledge presented in the previos class using the correct as a starting point
- Introduction to a new photographic terms
- Small warm up exercise to fix this terms
- Introduction of new topic
- A pratical exercise, go photograph, with at least to variations to enable more people to accomplish it.
The first video skip the first part and introduce the course.
The topics will be (not necessary in this order):
- Aspect ratio;
- Angle of view;
- How to select a view point;
- Create variation of photos to cover a subject.
1. What is your promotion plan?
- We understand that the course is a great for the top of the purchase funnel use this material to reach a great volume of people is a good strategy, already in great use at social medias.
- We will invest energy to people reached by this course, go down in the funnel, and may become a Wikimedia Movement volunteer.
- The Foto Community User Group already have a growing path at social media, we will use our via of communication to spread the material;
- We will also create a campaign with the local media to spread even more the course.
- The course touches in social media usage of the photos, showing, for example, the aspects ratios mostly used on Instagram, another attractive to people from outside the Wikimedia Environment.
2. How will you let your community know about the promotion campaign?
- We will promote at Village Pumps in Portuguese, and at Commons also in English:
- To create the course, we will open to wiki communities, and at our social media, Instagram, Twitter.
- We will also invite the volunteers to make the exercises purposed at the course with us.
3.Do you have any experience in online promotion or video production?
- Yes, we already did a WLE that we use our social media to spread the contest, we also have some volunteers that are professionals in this area.
- Also yes, we launch the Grants:Project/Rapid/Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton/Commons videos 2.
- And we are running the Indígenas e quilombolas brasileiros contam sua história
4. Do you or others in your team have the skills needed to manage the video production and promotional campaign?
- Yes, I am 8 years old photographer, winner of the local step of the WLM 2019 in Portugual, having several Featured Pictures. Being skilled to host a photo course, the Foto Community User Group also have a great variety of photographers that will enrich the course, as they will build with me in this course.
- And we will have to use professional hours to manage what we are not able to build in so short terms, as we did in the previous grant.
5. What’s your post promotion plan?
- The course will be promoted and use in other situations, as during or before Wiki photo contests, to empower new volunteers of Foto Community User Group, as this will also be available at Wikiversity-pt, this will have a permanent importance.
- I also have the intention to create more material at Wikiversidade about photography.
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- No, in person activities.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful, and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- We will manage a qualitative interview after the course being streamed. We will have success if we have an overall good reception.
- We want to have at least 10 people, direct attending the course, when we stream it. We have never managed an online course, but seems a good number for direct impact.
- We want to cover all the basics of photography with this project, we will see as successful.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have access to a good DSLRs capable to register the videos. And I have a high-end mic and recorder more than enough for this task.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount. I recently moved to Canada, and as I will conduce this course during my stay in Montreal, the budget is in CAD
- Post production:
- For every 5 min of video, there are around 5 hours of post-production work in this type of material.
- The price of worked hours for on demand project like this would be around 50 CAD/hour. 
- The five classes will have around 50 min in total, so ~2500 CAD.
- As it will be in a closed packed of 50 min video, I could quote for 2300 CAD ~1850 USD.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!