Grants:Project/Rapid/Shikeishu/XPOSED Queer Film Festival 2022
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors within the queer community of Berlin and within the film community of Germany
- Attract existing editors in Berlin to queer content
- Add and improve content around queer experimental film in English and German
- Create a connection between Wikipedia and the queer film scene of Berlin
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- This will be an edit-a-thon. We will write and edit Wikipedia articles around queer experimental film and I will train newcomers in how to do this. The edit-a-thon will be 3 hours each on 27 May (Friday) from 13-16:00 CET and 28 May (Saturday) from 13-16:00 CET.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- Like last year, I will post about the event in the German Wikipedia's Berlin page, on German Wikipedia's LGBT portals and Queer Film working group, German Wikipedia's film portal as well as the communication channels of the Wikimedia LGBT+ user group (Telegram, Twitter, Mailing list). I will ask Wikimedia Germany to spread the word as well and I will include this activity in this year's Wiki Loves Pride campaign. A Meta page for the edit-a-thon will be made.
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- The XPOSED Queer Film Festival will include this edit-a-thon in its program and will promote it on its website, in social media (Instagram and Facebook) and in its booklet.
- Through the film festival's cooperation with Universität Hildesheim, film students from the university will participate in the edit-a-thon as well.
- For reaching the Berlin Wiki community, the channels I mentioned above will be used.
- The physical gatherings will be in a central location in the city, in Kreuzberg, close to the cinemas where the festival takes place. Through this central location, we hope to attract more editors.
- The article list will also be open to the wider Wikipedia community interested in editing queer film, so they can also contribute online.
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
For example: User:I JethroBT
- I (Shikeishu) am an experienced User. I have been editing on Wikipedia since 2004 and I am an experienced organiser of edit-a-thons and community events (e.g. Wikipedia for Peace, last year's edit-a-thon XPOSED Queer Film Festival 2021).
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- They will need an interest in queer experimental film. Most participants will also be seeing films at the festival itself the days before the edit-a-thon and will feel motivated to write articles. They will also through these films and the festival get a basic understanding of what queer experimental film is and who are some important artists at the moment.
- We will invite filmmakers and critics who visit the festival to also join the Edit-a-thon and to contribute with their expertise.
- I will suggest a list of 30 articles that we can write that either don't exist yet in German or English or that still need to be improved. These articles will be about filmmakers and films that fulfill the notability criteria.
- I will give feedback to the participants' articles and will support them on site.
- Participants will bring their own laptops.
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Follow-up e-mail with asking people for open questions. If there is interest, I could also offer a follow-up meeting for those who want to stay active. I will ask for interest around this at the event.
- I will follow up with the cooperation partners (XPOSED Queer Film Festival and Universität Hildesheim) afterwards personally about doing follow-up projects.
- Participants will be invited to join other Wikipedia events happening in Berlin.
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Not for now. The event is very similar to last year and we will include the learnings from last year in organising the event again. We received a lot of positive feedback for last year's edit-a-thon and there is still a lot of interest in continuing to do Wikipedia workshops on queer film. We would be happy to have your support again and to keep up the momentum!
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 2
- Number of participants: 20
- Number of new editors: 15
- Number of of articles created or improved: 10
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 3
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The project is part of XPOSED Queer Film Festival, which also has an income through ticket sales as well as funding by the Berlin District of Kreuzberg-Friedrichshain and possibly other funders The festival will provide expertise, literature, materials as well as a network. They will also promote the edit-a-thon in all of their communication channels.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- As we want to rent a more central space this year, we would love to rent the community space Aquarium in Kreuzberg. All of the Rapid Grant would go towards this. Other costs, such as drinks and snacks and materials, will be provided by the festival.
- Renting a space: 1000 EUR
- Total: 1000 EUR
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!