Grants:Project/Rapid/T Cells/Yoruba Wikipedia video campaign
- Please see the sample Video campaign application before drafting your application.
- You can also read a recent video campaign application, Promotion of Punjabi Wikipedia on Social Media and their related report.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- Produce video content to promote Yoruba Wikipedia
- Produce video content to promote Yoruba Wikipedia readership
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
- Yoruba is an African language spoken by over 41 million people in Nigeria, 1.7 million people in Benin Republic, 469,000 people in Ghana, and more than 120,000 people in Ivory Cost. It's a language thought in schools (at all level) in Nigeria. In spite of this, many native speakers, students, and teachers are not aware that Yoruba Wikipedia exists. This lack of awareness has resulted in low readership and contributors.
- We plan to work with a professional documentary filmmaker to produce a short documentary (2-5 mins) about the Yoruba Wikipedia, how the Yoruba Wikipedia community is building an encyclopedia in a local language, how to join the community, whom to contact for help etc.
1. What is your promotion plan?
You can produce an animation video to promote a Wikimedia project and promote it by using ads on Twitter. You can promote an online campaign, such as Wiki Loves Monuments, by producing an interview video and promoting it on Facebook, Twitter, etc., using ads.
- We plan to promote the video using ads on Twitter and Facebook
2. How will you let your community know about the promotion campaign?
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Yoruba Wikipedia community notified. See link Done
- Notified in Yoruba Wikimedians official WhatsApp group - Done
3.Do you have any experience in online promotion or video production?
Were you involved in a similar project in the past? Do you have any other experience in producing videos or multimedia files?
- Yes, I have experience in online promotion and video production. I have co-created at least two similar videos (Afrocuration Campaign Video.ogv and Short Wikipedia Documentary in Yoruba.webm)
4. Do you or others in your team have the skills needed to manage the video production and promotional campaign?
Do you already have a team and specific roles assigned to people based on tasks such as scriptwriting, direction, cinematography, etc.?
- Director of production, voice-over, film editor & Cinematography - Tunde Oladimeji, Nigerian documentary filmmaker known for pioneering documentary film in indigenous language in Nigeria.
- Scriptwriter and production manager User:T Cells, sysop on Yoruba Wikipedia
- Production assistant - User:Sowoletoyin, experienced Yoruba Wikipedia editor
5. What’s your post promotion plan?
What do you plan to do after your campaign ends?
- We plan to follow up with new editors who may want to learn how to contribute to Yoruba Wikipedia after watching the video. We will organize series of training on how to contribute to Wikipedia to engage them.
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Create one short duration (2-5 minutes) awareness video about Yoruba Wikipedia.
- At least 10,000 views in Twitter and Facebook for the video.
- 25% increase of new editors.
- 25% increase of site views. This tool would be used to measure the increase in site-views
- At least 3 people contributed to the video
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Volunteers to support the video production and to manage the social media promotion
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 1,823.14 for the video production
- 150 USD for the video promotion on Twitter and Facebook
- bank charges 30 USD
Total budget = 2,000 USD (755,425 NGN)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- I feel this video would create more awareness about Yoruba Wikipedia and would lead to more engagement on the platform especially from new users.Lordgentual (talk) 12:07, 1 February 2021 (UTC)
- This is a timely step in the right direction as Yorùbá Wikimedians are pushing hard for more awareness of Yorùbá Wikipedia and among local speakers at home and in diaspora. I give this my 100% support.
- Yoruba language is the main language infused with other local languages in videos and songs in Nigeria. Videos on awareness about Yoruba Wikipedia would go a long way in adding more editors and contents on the Yoruba Wikipedia among locals. I support this 100%.Samatics (talk) 13:42, 1 February 2021 (UTC)
- Great, quite laudable initiative. The video awareness will go a very long way in promoting Yoruba Wikipedia, especially among native speakers. I am fully in support of this. I thumb up for the initiator. Macdanpets (talk) 13:45, 1 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support Yoruba Language is one of the three major languages in Nigeria and spoken by a large population. Even so, it's difficult to recruit and retain this language native speakers.This initiative will sure change this narrative and help to create a lot of awareness for the language speakers which will significantly increase their interest and participation in Yoruba Wikipedia. Ptinphusmia (talk) 16:37, 1 February 2021 (UTC)
Support The Yoruba Wikipedia needs a project of this nature to improve its awareness among the native speaker of the language in Nigeria, other West African countries and places where the language is spoken, across the globe. I am excited to support it.Olaniyan Olushola (talk) 16:40, 1 February 2021 (UTC)
Support The Yorùbá language Wikimedia user group needs to create projects that can improve on the awareness of its existence among the people who will benefit from it, and I believe that this type of project is one of such. I fully support it. Adefanike (talk) 19:28, 1 February 2021 (UTC)
Support Yoruba language is one of the popular languages in the world. Unfortunately, we the original speakers of the language did not encourage our children and ourselves on speaking, writing and listening to the language. The video is doing the right thing at the right time. It will go a long way in creating awareness about Yoruba Wikipedia and also encourage more editors to participate in promoting Yoruba language. Sowoletoyin (talk) 20:13, 1 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support Looks like a great project, that would help in raising awareness for the Yoruba Wikipedia. This type of project is surely a valuable for the community.--Jamie Tubers (talk) 20:27, 1 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support a positive move by the Yoruba community. I applaud the leadership of the Yoruba Wikipedia for this awesome initiative. SuperSwift (talk) 11:27, 2 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support Super interesting and well thought project as this will bring about more awareness for the Yoruba Wikipedia. Kaizenify (talk) 19:23, 3 February 2021 (UTC)