Grants:Project/Rapid/The 2020 Afrocine Contest Nigeria
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve existing content about African Cinema
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
- Expand the skill sets of existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The Wikimedia Community in Nigeria will focus on the African Cinematic, theatre and arts emphasizing on creation of articles in Nigerian languages wikipedia. The presence or developing of Young and vibrant editorship is the best way to grow a wikimedia community, this contest will enable us recruit more young persons into the fold of Nigerian Language editors as this project topic is important to the emerging multifarious Nigerian populace. You can read more at AfroCine Contest Nigeria 2020/Months of African Cinema
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- We would make use of the available of Wikimedia WhatsApp communities that exist across Nigeria and make use of social media platforms. We would also make use of e-fliers to attract new members.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- It will be point based, the individuals with the highest points in each category will be awarded the prize
The scoring system for the winners would be as follows:
- Two points (2.0) would be awarded for every new Wikipedia article in any Nigerian languages (Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa.)
- One and half point (1.5) would be awarded for every new Wikipedia article in English language.
- One point (1.0) would be awarded for every new created articles about Females in English or any Nigerian languages Wikipedia.
- Half a point (0.5) for every quality source or Citation used in the an existing Wikipedia article.
- The adequate Dashboard or any other required tool which measures the contributions will also be used to achieve an excellent Jury procedure.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- “This is an individual grant for the contest that would help improve existing Wikimedia communities such as the Wikimedia Fan Club University of Ibadan, Wikimedia Fan Club University of LASU, Abuja Wikimedia Hub, Ilorin Wikimedia Hub, several more Wikimedia related clusters in Nigeria and recruit new users. Members of the Nigeria community will be engaged in tutoring and speaking at virtual Workshops or trainings that will be organised.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For writing contests:-
- Number of participants-80
- Number of articles created or improved-200
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Alaafiabami- (Project and Campaign lead) -I have previously led Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ilorin, organized multiple meetups and Wiki loves Africa photo walks/event at the University Club in Ilorin and Ado-Ekiti in 2019 and 2020 respectively. I will be in charge the publicity of the event and hoping to recruit new members during the process.
- Isaac- (Coordinator)- He is an experienced Wikipedian, He is the current lead of the Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ilorin, he will be facilitating virtual meetings and selection of speakers/trainers on virtual training workshops for new members in any Nigerian Language Wikipedia if need be.
- Bolaji-(Panelist)- She is an experienced wikipedian with a knack for prudence, she and her team will be in charge of result collation and disclosure of Winners.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
Internet subscription (For the team members, during the project and post-project for report writing): $370
Branding and Social media promotion: $300
Airtime for communication: $100
Logistics to dispatch prizes: $180
- 1st prize: 1st prize: HP 255 G7 AMD Dual Core 4GB RAM 500GB HDD 15.6-Inch Windows 10 Laptop + Bag: $317
- 2nd prize: Nokia 6.1 Plus - 5.8-Inch (4GB, 64GB ROM) 16MP + 16MP, Dual Sim, 4G Smartphone - Black With 12 Months Warranty: $157
- 4th prize: Diversity Winner and Gender gap fillers-Zealot H6 Waterproof Bluetooth Earphone Stereo Wireless Headphone Fitness Sport Running Use Handsfree With Microphone: ($13.18 each) $26.36
- Exchange rate- 1 dollar equals 385 naira
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- SupportThis competition will go a long way in securing new and active editors for Wikipedia Biggiepopa (talk) 17:38, 14 September 2020 (UTC)
- Support Through this contest, I believe the knowledge gap on Wikipedia will be reduced.James Moore200 (talk) 20:32, 14 September 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support This grant would help recruit new editors and engage the existing editors as well. Timmylegend (talk) 14:00, 15 September 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support This project is a great way to encourage editors who have been inactive during the pandemic and also increase the number of articles about Africa and Africans on Wikipedia Bilijin (talk) 21:04, 15 September 2020 (UTC)
- Support This grant to organize local Afrocine contest in Nigeria would certainly help in engaging the Nigerian community. Fully supported.--Jamie Tubers (talk) 16:24, 16 September 2020 (UTC)
- Support A step in the right direction towards promoting the African continent and contents. SuperSwift (talk) 06:21, 17 September 2020 (UTC)
- Support this will mobilize and adequately cater for the additional plans being targeted for the Nigerian community. HandsomeBoy (talk) 04:29, 19 September 2020 (UTC)
- Support This is a timely and well-thought project that will go a long way in bridging the knowledge gap and providing opportunity for the creation of original contents for everyone by Africans Godstime Elijah (talk) 11:15, 22 September 2020 (UTC)