Grants:Project/Rapid/UG EG/Wiki Loves Monuments in Egypt 2017
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The overall purpose of this Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest is to increase the amount of freely-licensed material related to Egypt monuments in Wikimedia Commons, and improve the quality and quantity of Wikipedia articles about them, including the illustration of the articles with the uploaded pictures. If the project is going to be successful, more people will know not only about Wikipedia, but also about Wikimedia Commons and new users will be engaged in the projects also. Additionally, the Wikimedia movement and the local user groups will gain visibility within the involved communities. We have to mention also here that this is the 5th Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest in Egypt. Within this scope, we are asking funding to finance the cost of the prizes for the contest winners, and the cost of promotion for the contest.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- community notification in (village pump, Ar mailing list, other relevant mailing lists, etc.)
- Promoting the competition through the use of social networks (Facebook/Twitter) and photo-oriented web sites.
- Press release announcing the competition just some days before the starting date (we will try to have press coverage also during the contest)
- We will invite previous Wiki Loves Monuments participants to join the contest by posting invitations on their user talk pages.
- We will send emails about the contest to our mailing list which includes anyone who has attended an event in the past.
- We will also use geolocated banners to advertise the contest to local Wikipedia readers.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- Our team has already organized three Wiki Love mouments Photo Contests in Egypt . First we need to make the selection of the members of the jury committee on time. The jury will be composed both by experienced Wikimedians and photography enthusiasts. Prizes will be awarded to the three best photographs. Photographers in 4th to 10th place will get a poster of their photo and a participation certificate. Selection of winners, (this date also needs to be fixed) 2017 involves usually work of organisers and active Wikimedians who will check which images are eligible on the first round. The selection of the winners will take place by the jury afterwards (second round).
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- An edit-a-thon is planned after the competition and in combination to the awards ceremony. We are also going to encourage the Egypt editing community to enrich existing articles related to the mounuments, to add pictures to related Wikipedia or Wikivoyage articles.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants: 100
- Number of photos uploaded: 1500
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 100
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 1000
- Number of new users: 150
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects
- 4 months after the contest, 150 (or 10%) of photos are used on wiki projects
- 4 months after the event, 40 (or 6%) of uploaded photos are categorized as valued, quality or featured
# 20 new monuments be photographed
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Members of UG
- Individual wikimedians
- Professional and amateur photographers that helped as during the previous contests
- we expect kind donations such as free venue for the award ceremony.
Our team has organized a Wiki Love monuments before in 2014,2014 with very good featured photos
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Prizes||prizes for the best photographs and best contributors||n/a||4||n/a||725||USD||Prizes will be awarded to the three best photographs (1st prize: $350 , 2nd prize: $200, .3rd prize: $100.00 4rd prize: $75.00|
|2||Gift packages for the judges||unit||3||75||225||USD|
|3||photowalk||For 15 Person including snacks and transportation||unit||1||500||500||USD||We will make a photowalk with photographers to cover new mouments|
|6||Fees, commissions, etc||Banking fees||transaction||n/a||n/a||20.00||USD||transactions for receiving money, banking fees for payments (prizes and other).|
|7||Beverages/snacks||soft drinks and snacks (sweets or treats e.t.c.) for the award ceremony||n/a||n/a||n/a||50.00||USD|
|8||Advertisments||making online ads and banner||n/a||n/a||n/a||100.00||USD|
Total cost of project
Total amount requested
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- The consistency of making this contest every year is very important for Egyptian Wikimedians. Also, It gives a chance to enrich Wiki projects with materials needed for raising awareness. Kamal Osama Elgazzar
- Just talked with Mohamed through the grant request, and he explained a few of the numbers above. Sounds more or less reasonable to me. Especially happy the photo walk is happening again, that supposedly has a positive impact on the competition. Effeietsanders (talk) 20:28, 26 August 2017 (UTC)