Grants:Project/Rapid/UG MA/WikiForHumanRights 2021 in Morocco
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content in 4 different languages, including minority languages
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors to contribute to Commons and other sister projects, including the incubator
- Create awareness about human rights, environmental health and the Wikimedia movement and its activities
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
The contest will focus on adding and improving content on topics that are related to the “right to a healthy environment” which is the theme of WikiForHumanRights in 2021. This is important for the community or user group in Morocco because it is an opportunity to recruit new editors and engage existing once. It is also an opportunity to create basic content related to the environment in Moroccan languages (Darija - ary, Tachelhit - shi), and to enrich content about Morocco in bigger languages (Arabic - ar, French - fr).
Not only written articles are part of the contest, but also pictures, as there will be a photography contest together with the 4 writing contests.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
We have informed the Wikimedia community about this proposal on the meta page of the campaign, see the table of events.
We are planning to inform the larger public using the user group’s social media accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
3. How will you let participants know about the contest? In what ways will you be communicating with them?For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
The contest will be promoted through multiple channels, listed below:
- Central Notice across Wikimedia projects
- A dedicated landing page in Meta, translated to 4 languages
- Social media, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram with paid posts.
- Outreach with external organizations and groups
- Mass-message all of the interested participants to encourage them to participate.
4. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?'''Note: Grantees, judges, and other contest leaders are ineligible to receive prizes. Grantees who are serving as judges may not receive gifts through grant funding.
The organization team will assign a jury for each part of the contest. Each of the 4 editing contests will have its own jury, as well as the photo contest.
There will be a point system (combining number of bytes and quality) to decide about the winners. The first three in each contest will receive prizes.
5. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
A panel of at least three jury members will choose the top 10 images and the top three winners who will be awarded gift cards (e.g. Amazon gift cards) . using the jury tool "Montage", which we have used in previous years.
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
No, we are not planning any in-person events or activities. All events will be prepared and will take place online.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
The project is part of an international campaign but it will focus on enriching Morocco-related content.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For the photo contest part:
- Number of participants 100
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons 600
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects 20
For the writing contest part:
- Number of participants 100 (in total and not per language)
- Number of articles created or improved 120
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- This event will mainly be organized by Rachidourkia (Rachid Ourkia) and Abdeaitali (Abderrahman Ait Ali). Collectively the organizers have had 4 years of experience running Wiki Loves x contests in Morocco.
- The project team will benefit from the support of the User Group.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Prizes - total 1 000 USD
- 4 editing contest (200 USD per language) - total 4*200 USD = 800 USD
- 1 photo contest - total 200 USD
- Organization - total 500 USD
- Promotion (social media) - total 150 USD
- Translation for project material - total 300 USD
- Banking fees and incidental - total 50 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!