Grants:Project/Rapid/WCUGA/QR-pedia at Korça museum
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- The "QRpedia at Korça museum" project aims to add QRpedia capabilities to the museum of Korca city, located in the south of Albania. National Archaeological Museum of Korçë contains around 1200 artifacts mainly from the Prehistoric period and has little interactive elements for the visitors. With this project we aim to add QR-pedia elements to the majority of the artifacts of the museum.
QRpedia is a mobile Web based system which uses QR codes to deliver Wikipedia articles to users, in their preferred language. QR codes can easily be generated to link directly to any Uniform Resource Identifier (URI), but the QR-pedia system adds further functionality. With this project the National Archaeological Museum of Korçë will be the first GLAM institution in Albania to implement QR-pedia elements adding Albania to the list of countries that have such feature in one of their museums.
- Main goal of the project is to:
- raise the collaboration of the Wikimedia community in Albania with GLAM institutions in a structured way, which is also the main goal of our user group;
- improve the articles related to the National Archaeological Museum of Korçë in different languages;
- use the project as a good case study to further enhance the collaboration with other GLAM institutions in Albania.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- Following our activities during Korca edit-a-thon some months ago we will continue our collaboration with the Museum of Korca by signing a memorandum of understanding with the museum before starting the process of the implementation of the activities. Following the MoU we will present to the museum personal how the QRpedia signage will look with the involvement of a graphic designer. After the approval of the material from the museum we will contact printing companies that will print the QR codes and will install them at the artifacts of the museum. All the process will be documented with photos that will be used for a dedicated blog post and hopefully media coverage. After the installation of the QR pedia assets we will improve the articles further not only in Albanian but in other languages as well (see below).
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- Members of our user group have been discussing about the details of the implementation of the project in our monthly meetings. In addition this has been actively discussed on our internal chat. Once the project is approved Wikimedia user groups from the region, and more specifically from Greece and Italy will be contacted to get involved in translating the articles in their respective languages.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- After the implementation of the QR-pedia assets at the Korca Museum is finished we will continue editing the articles in the monthly edit-a-thons and meetups we are organizing as planned in our user group meetings. This will ensure that the articles are in good quality not only in Albanian but also in other languages.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of articles created or improved related to the Museum that will be used at QR codes in different languages: 25
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons for each article created or improved: 25
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable): 25
- The main impact will come from the usage of the QR codes by the visitors of the museum that will scan the QR code and read the articles in the same language of their mobile operating system.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
This event is organized by the members of Wikimedia Community User Group Albania and we will take care of everything related to the project including communicating with the people at the museum, improving articles, promo online and offline etc.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Printing and production costs of the QR codes and info: 200€
- Traveling and accommodation to Korça from Tirana (5 persons for 2 nights): 165€
- Food for the team: 220€
Photographer for professional documentation of the process: 140€
- Finance officer: 70€
- Legal costs (for drafting the Memorandum of Understanding): 70€
- Graphic designer (for the design of the QR codes, design for online promo, preparing printing files and preview of the printing materials): 250€
- Project management: for the coordination of the whole process: 150€
- Unexpected costs:112,5€ (10% of the total costs mentioned above)
- Volunteer Project coordination Leeturtle (talk) 12:46, 16 September 2018 (UTC)
- Volunteer As a volunteer and workshop host. Augesti (talk) 21:13, 23 October 2018 (UTC)
- VolunteerI'll be volunteering on th events related to QR-pedia project at the Korca museum. Meriboo (talk) 23:31, 23 October 2018 (UTC)
- Volunteer I'll help with documentation. Sido uku (talk) 23:19, 23 October 2018 (UTC)