Wikimedia Community User Group Albania
This is the information page of the Wikimedia Community User Group Albania.
Wikimedia Community User Group Albania is a group of users of Albanian Wikimedia projects who are interested in organizing and participating in outreach activities on national level including GLAM and Education initiatives. Members of the group have been active for quite some time already participating and co-organizing among others many educational partnerships (memorandum of understanding with the Municipality of Tirana about open knowledge), workshops, presentations in free software events (see OSCAL), or edit-a-thons organized in Tirana as part of the Code Week activities.WCUGA aims at the organization and representation of the Albanian community as well as the promotion and participation on projects that the Wikimedia Foundation keeps.
- 1 Communication
- 2 Objectives
- 3 Structure
- 4 Members
- 5 Projects and activities
- 6 Group members policy
- Mailing list
- https://forum.openlabs.cc/t/wikimedia-community-user-group-albania/737 (will be used until we will be able to use Wikimedia infrastructure for the UG);
- Develop a strategy for outreach activities in Albania and successful implementation of the strategy;
- Develop relationships with Albanian GLAM institutions;
- Develop and establish a Wiki Education program in Albania;
- Improve quality and number of articles and other content in Albanian language in Wikimedia projects;
- Improve quality and number of content about Albania in other languages in Wikimedia projects, including projects like Commons and Wikidata;
- Collaborate with other Wikimedia user groups and chapters, other free culture groups in Albania and the region.
- Notice: This organizational structure is still preliminary and subject to change.
Basic outline of the general structure of the Wikimedia Community User Group Albania to be replaced by proper statutes & bylaws upon registration.
- All members that are members of the group for more than 12 months elect a board of 3 people. This does not apply for the first 12 months that the UG has become a recognized user group by the WF.
- The board is responsible for running the everyday business of the user-group (administration, working on goals, supporting projects, community management and building and volunteers) and the strategic planning.
- The board must produce a detailed report on its running the everyday business of the user-group and the strategic planning at least once a year, which is to be accepted by all members with simple majority.
- The board is responsible for drafting bylaws and plan out a path to becoming a future chapter. These are to be accepted by all members with absolute majority.
- Projects can be run by anyone, regardless of whether the person is a member of the user group. The board is responsible for officially endorsing projects and appointing project managers.
- The board might propose to create additional positions within the user-group tackling specific tasks. The newly created positions are to be accepted by all members with simple majority. The people filling these positions can be appointed by the board.
Membership is open. To become a member please add your name to the members list and use the provided means of communication to present yourself. For the people who are new to Wikimedia, we expect them to attend our events and activities for at least three months before becoming a member of the User Group. When one or more users create issues with the rest of the community and need to be solved, the board and the majority of the members try to find a consensus about it. If consensus is not achieved a voting process is initiated by the board.
- Nafie shehu, Albanian Wikipedia (editor since 2016);
- Silva.1994, Albanian Wikipedia (editor since 2015);
- Leeturtle, Albanian Wikipedia (editor since 2013);
For this user group we will keep the list of contacts up to three for ease of communication and coordination. If you want to participate please add your username/name below. Your participation is highly appreciated.
Other active participants
Members of group who have been actively involved in organizing or participating in groups efforts.
- Sido uku, Albanian Wikipedia (editor since 2016);
- ElioQoshi, Albanian Wikipedia (since 2013);
- Meriboo, Albanian Wikipedia
- Celjeta Shehu, Albanian Wikipedia (since 2016);
- Desarashimi1, Albanian Wikipedia (since 2017);
- NestedLoops, Albanian Wikipedia (editor since 2015);
- Tiberius.dot, Albanian Wikipedia
- Bora shehu, Albanian Wikipedia
- Evavranic, Albanian Wikipedia
- Augesti, Albanian Wikipedia
Member who support groups activities, but do not actively participate in them.
Projects and activities
- will be added soon;
- no grants are requested yet;
- Legislative initiative
- initiative to change Freedom of Panorama restrictions in Albania based on the experience of other countries.
- Partnerships with GLAM institutions
- strategic planning for collaboration with GLAM institutions in Albania.
- Copyright reform efforts
- introduction of Creative Commons and Public domain empowerment initiatives in Albania.
- Collaboration with fellow open knowledge initiatives in the region
- partnership with the Greek Wikimedia community to work together for articles about Greece and Albania in the SQ and EL wiki-projects.
Activities for 2017
- Wiki Weekend 2017 in Tirana
- the yearly gathering of SQ Wikimedians where edit-a-thons, local user group strategy discussion and yearly planning takes place: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Weekend_2017.
- Code Week 2017 Burrel (Wiki in Education)
Activities for 2018
Below are some of the planned activities of our user group. The final plan of activities will be published after the members meeting in mid January.
- Wikipedia Anniversary (15.01.2018)
- Celebrating the anniversary of Wikipedia project with an edit-a-thon.
- notes from the event: https://pad.openlabs.cc/p/wikipedia_17years_edit-a-thon. 13 participants worked in articles related to the Netherlands and Arnhem.
- Celebrating the anniversary of Wikipedia project with an edit-a-thon.
- Wiki editathon @ Elbasan school (10.03.2018)
- Part of Wiki in Education initiative.
- Code4Herritage Hackathon(s)
- 2018 (all year): C4H Albania is the first open cultural data hackathon in the country. Based on the Coding da Vinci C4H brings cultural heritage institutions together with the hacker, designer, open data, Wikimedia & OpenStreetMap communities to develop ideas and prototypes for the cultural sector and for the public.
- GLAM initiatives
- Cooperation with Durrës Museum - meeting with the director need to happen. QR pedia;
- Coperation with Korca Museum, 7.04.018 - meeting with the director need to happen. Augest, Nefie, Redon, Marin, Sidorela, Mariana. QR pedia related;
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2018
- September 2018: after not organizing it in 2017 we are planning to organize Wiki Loves Monuments again in 2018. The general meta page is here and we are working already on the 2018 edition.
- Wiki Weekend 2018 in Tirana
- December 2018: the yearly gathering of SQ Wikimedians where edit-a-thons, local user group strategy discussion and yearly planning takes place. We will focus on GLAM editathon and/or Wiki in Education initiatives.
Decision making process are planned to be made in a transparent process and an involvement of the group in an horizontal hierarchy structure. Notes from the meetings will be published here.
- December 2017 meeting: notes will be published soon
- 15.01.2018: notes will be published soon;
Group members policy
All user group members agree on: