Please see the sample Meeting application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Socialize with community members
- Organize a community project
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
- Start a program to make wikipedia more accessable to mobile users from foreign countries use QR codes (qrpedia)
- What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
It will be the initial planning phase for project about Westfjords which is a remote and sparsely populated area Iceland but is in the summer visited by tourists from many countries in cruise ships and by air and by car. Culture and history and nature of the region is not very well known outside Iceland as there is very difficult to get to some parts of the region and very poorly represented on wikipedia. This is however a region with many natural wonders such as many big bird cliffs, waterfalls and fjords and has a very different natural history than other parts of Iceland (is much older). That besides also being one of the northermost and arctic location in Iceland where climate changes both on land and in the ocean are faster than most places. Because of the sparse population it is difficult to get information and many inhabiants only speak Icelandic. Being able to use Wikipedia as a reference point on mobile phone will be of great use for all traveling in this area and make museum visit more valuable to non Icelandic speakers. QRpedia seem to be very well suited to this area. Also it can be added that this can be a dangerous area and many tourists take the wrong route because lack of information. Local people can also get information about places and artifacts with scanning QR codes because most since very few people are available (only 7000 live in this area) and also it can be added that that many villages in the region have most foreign inhabitants as part of population, much higher than the rest of Iceland.
- If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
I have not had meeting before.
- How will you let participants know about the meeting?
I have put it forward as an idea in the icelandic wikipedians community and to some stakeholders. We will post directly to the relevant partners in this kind of project.
- How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
Hopefully we will initate similiar project in other part of Iceland so we hope we will have some community around this and since the project could make the area more known and easier to navigate and ease the work of some of the people that work in museums and information sevice we hope the local people will be interested.
- Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project. 1) If the project will be continued and the museums, municipalies and tourist offices in the region use wikipedia articles and QRpedia to make it easier for visitors to the region summer 2017 to look up information. 2) More photos and historic pictures of the region will be released in the Commons because of the project 3) More local editors will be writing and updating articles.
- Number of total participants 30
- Number of people who will help organize the event 5
- travel for wikipedians from Reykjavik to Westfjords 150000
- refreshments and printing and preparing QR codes 50000
(we do not need to pay for hosting since we already have been offered free rooms but it is expensive to travel to the region)