Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group/Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos in Cameroon
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To improve the quality, reliability, and credibility of Wikipedia articles across french and english languages
- To promote the use of digital media files collected from various photography contests, photowalks organized by the Wikimedia community, on Wikipedia article pages
- Reinforce the level of the members of our User Group through training
- Engagement of existing editors of our User Group
- 1 Online contest presentation session through Zoom
- 3 practical support and follow-up sessions for participants as part of the contest (July - August) (Zoom)
- 2 special coaching sessions for novice members (Zoom)
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- This contest would focus on the use of free media files on Wikipedia articles. Thousands of images have been donated and contributed to Wikipedia Commons via various advocacy programs, photowalks, and contests including international photography contests such as Wiki Loves Monuments, Wiki Loves Africa, Wiki Loves Earth, Wiki Loves Folklore, etc. Yet relatively few of these photos have been used on Wikipedia articles. Today, the Wikimedia Commons hosts over 60 million photo images but only a tiny portion of these have been used on Wikipedia article pages. This is a huge gap that this project aims at bridging.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- We have whatsApp groups of our User Group members who live in the cities of Douala, Yaoundé and Buea; they have already been informed of the competition through this channel and are ready to participate.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- In addition to collaboration with the contest organizers, we will have to use the ISA platform to assess the number of contributions for each participant.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We will work exclusively with the members of our User Group; They will be trained in the discovery of Commons and on how to use images on Wikipedia articles.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Some members of our User Group have different levels of knowledge and skills, this competition is also an opportunity for us in the current context (Covid-19), to train them and to be able to stay in touch; several training and support sessions have been planned for this purpose.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants : 22 people
- 1500 images are used on Wikipedia articles
- 600 articles are improved with photos
- 2 languages Wikipedia (french and english) are improved
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have two project organizers:
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 1st prize - Phone Tecno Camon 12 Air : 130 000 CFA
- 2nd prize - External hard drive : 1 To : 65 000 CFA
- 3rd prize - External hard drive : 500 Go : 50 000 CFA
- 4th Internet Key + connection credit : 25 000 Cfa
- Tee-shirts for organizers (2) and 3 winners participants (3) : 5000 x 5 = 25 000 CFA
- Internet connection for participants (4 sessions) : 2500 x 4 x 20 = 200 000 Cfa
- Internet connection for trainers (6 sessions) : 10 000 x 6 x 2 = 120 000 Cfa
- Total Budget : 615 000 CFA
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!