Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikipedia Day NC 2020
- Please see the sample General promotion campaign application before drafting your application.
- You can also read a recent general promotion campaign application, Promotion of Maithili Wikipedia and their related report.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- Online promotion of Wikimedia project(s)/campaign(s)
- Offline promotion of Wikimedia project(s)/campaign(s)
- Activate and grow the North Carolina Triangle Wikipedians User Group.
- Educate new and veteran editors on Wiki initiatives and issues.
- Build local awareness of Wikimedia activities within the region.
- Socialize with community members and build offline relationships.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What is your promotion plan?
You can do a campaign involving billboards or rickshaw announcements to promote a Wikimedia projects, such as Santali Wikipedia, at different places in a city. You can promote an online campaign such as Wiki Loves Monuments on Facebook, Twitter, etc using ads. You can also create gifs/slideshows or other easy to make multimedia files and use them to promote your project on social media. We are planning to have a social event with brief presentations about using Wikipedia in the classroom and hosting edit-a-thons. This will be a good opportunity to talk with professors and librarians from UNC, Duke, NCSU, NCCU, and the other colleges in the area.
Potential speakers and topics include:
- Emily - library edit-a-thons
- Kasey - Wikipedia in the classroom (Asheville, NC)
- Eric - HGAPS
- Therese - Women & Wikipedia
- Danielle - #1lib1ref
- Frank - Wikipedia GLAM (Greenville, NC)
OptSus has a venue space that is centrally located in the Triangle which is being offered as an in-kind donation for this event.
In addition to the group gathering in Raleigh, we plan to have similar events in Asheville and Greenville, NC this year.
2. How will you let your community know about the promotion campaign?
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Emails will be sent to contacts at the area universities with a PDF flyer for distribution on bulletin boards throughout the campuses and at the meeting venue. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_Wikipedians
3.Do you have any experience in promoting Wikimedia projects either online or offline?
Were you involved in a similar project in the past? Do you have any other experience related to online/offline promotion? Yes, we had a Wikipedia Birthday party event in Raleigh in 2019. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_Triangle_Wikipedians/reports
4. What is your post-promotion plan?
What do you plan to do after your campaign ends? One of the primary goals is to have participants join the local user group and participate in monthly meetings with the group. For this reason, the expenses for the February and March meetings have been included here. Additionally, we will be encouraging more edit-a-thons and the use of Wikipedia in the classroom.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project? Specifics are still being worked out but we feel confident that this will work. In particular, we are working out date for this event in January.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of events: 3
- Number of participants: 25-50
- Number of new editors: 10
- A core group of local Wikimedians is identified and monthly meetings are scheduled
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The Raleigh meeting space for January will be offered through an in-kind donation from OptSus. We are coordinating with AB Tech and ECU to reserve meeting space in Asheville and Greenville, NC.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- We anticipate the following broad expenses:
- Wikipedia Day snacks, food, beverages (3 locations): $1200
- Printing, handouts, signage (for the event and for promotion), badges, markers, other materials: $75
- Misc expenses/contingency: $75
- Total: $1,350
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- I would not submit the application if I was not going to endorse it as well. :) Frankcjones (talk) 01:40, 16 November 2019 (UTC)