Grants:Project/Rapid/offline Wikipedia in Moria
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- I am a physician who uses Wikipedia and who will be volunteering at a clinic managed by an NGO in Greece. This is a clinic with limited access to Internet. I will be demonstrating a method for sharing Internet-in-a-box/Kiwix/offline Wikipedia to healthcare providers who need Wikipedia's health information.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- The Boat Refugee Foundation has a clinic near Mytilene where they offer medical services free of cost. The clinic sees many patients, has limited electricity, almost no Internet access, and no basic reference material in medicine. Most of my work there will be treating patients. Along with that, I will be demonstrating how to use an Internet-in-a-Box with Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline to anyone who wants access to health information. There is no other access to health information in this setting and everyone wants a solution for this and similar situations.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- I have joined Wiki Project Med Foundation discussions and Wikimedia New York City meetups and events. I do not have particular links to discussions but either of those organizations might have attendance records.
Here is a paper which describes a similar project in which I participated earlier.
- bluerasberry (5 August 2017). "Sharing Wikipedia offline medical information in the Dominican Republic". The Signpost.
Here is some documentation of how I presented this project:
- bluerasberry (23 October 2017). "Offline Wikipedia developed at OFF.NETWORK Content Hackathon". The Signpost.
- presenting in the medical track of Wikimania 2017
- participating in the offline Wikipedia hackathon
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- The major followup is continuing to present this project as a precedent for offline distribution of Wikipedia with Internet-in-a-Box or any other Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants
- 200 patients, 10 clinicians
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable)
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable)
- 1 report with photos
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable)
- 0, but media might be used in outreach
As a result of my project healthcare providers at this location will have access to offline Wikipedia and training on how to use it. Also, this project will serve as a model for other health care providers in similar situations.
Following this experience I will write a report of 1-2 pages and share it in a Wikimedia project for publication.
- Develop other offline Wikipedia outreach projects
- Propose sessions on offline Wikipedia's medical content at Wikimania 2018
- Seek Wikimedia community documentation and reporting of efforts to development Wikipedia medical content
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- In-kind funding includes the Boat Refugee Foundation establishing a clinic in Moria near Mytilene. The clinic is for anyone living nearby who wants to use medical services free of cost.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Travel (round trip airfare from New York to Greece): USD 1168
- Support I wrote this grant request for Sam after talking with him. This is the third application that I have made for the same summer 2017 project. See the talk page or previous grant request submissions for details.