Grants talk:Simple/Applications/Wikimedia Suomi/2021
APG approved in the amount of 93,000 EUR
Congratulations! Your grant is approved in the amount of 93,000 EUR, with a grant term starting 1 January 2021 and ending 31 December 2021.
Wikimedia Suomi is now in its 6th year in the Simple Annual Plan Grants program. In 2021, the organization intends to keep the same programmatic structure as last year. The annual plan is built on robust partnerships and programs and consists of three programmatic areas: Outreach, Community, and Partnerships. We commend Wikimedia Suomi on their diversity and equity work which is reflected in the Outreach Program. We are excited that the chapter will receive additional funding from the City of Helsinki to continue running the Helsinki rephotography project.
We also appreciate Wikimedia Suomi’s efforts in seeking partnerships with various Open Knowledge and GLAM institutions. We are hopeful that the Partnership Program will bring diversified content to the Wikimedia Projects. The chapter clearly has shown a lot of effectiveness in working with GLAM institutions, as shown through their regular activities with partners, such as Open Knowledge Finland, Creative Commons Finland, Creative Commons Open GLAM platform.
In their Community Program, the chapter plans to address the needs of Finnish Wikimedia community. This program has a strategic importance for the chapter and includes a set of projects to provide technical and financial support to community members and to ensure community members’ engagement in different international collaborations.
Wikimedia Finland will be maintaining its current staffing plan in the upcoming year.. Additionally, we appreciate that some staff costs will be covered by the City of Helsinki grant, and demonstrates the chapter’s efforts to build sustainability It will be difficult to support significant increases in staff in the future due to limitations on the Simple APG budget and relative salary costs in the region. Should this be a need in the future, we would like to work together to support Wikimedia Finland to evaluate other options to secure additional funding.
Wikimedia Suomi has been achieving good results in the past years, and its targets, this year, are somewhat conservative in regard to the previous year. It would be good to adapt these targets and further develop them to reflect the chapter's actual capacity.
We appreciate Wikimedia Suomi’s hard work during this time especially and look forward to working together in 2021.
Request for increasing GLAM coordinator FTE from 0.4 -> 0.6
We would like to propose an increase to the GLAM coordinator’s working time from annual 0.4 (16h/week) to annual 0.6 FTE (24h/week) according to the plans provided. Financially this equals to 12,916.80 €.
The areas of work with the increases roughly (working days):
- AvoinGLAM discussions (22 → 42)
- GLAM pilot imports and case studies (42)
- Project: Saami place names (0 → 20)
- GLAM resources & communications (12)
- Advocacy & representation (8)
- Fundraising (0 → 12)
Full GLAM program plan can be found here
To fund the proposal we would like to request an approval to use SAPG2020 underspending €12,161.48. There will be still a € 755 gap, but if it is ok then we would like to propose re-evaluation on mid-grant year [July 2021] to see if there is underspending which we could use to fill it. behalf of the Wikimedia Finland's board, --Zache (talk) 11:59, 12 March 2021 (UTC)
- Thank you, Zache for making the formal request on the need for the reallocation of the underspend. Based on the conversation we have had that have clearly demonstrated the need and the opportunity that comes with increasing the GLAM coordinator's time, we are pleased to make the approval. As indicated this increased capacity will allow you to implement the GLAM program better without depleting or burning out the team; all these strengthening the impact you have in your community. We wish you, the team and the community the very best as you implement the program. --VThamaini (WMF) (talk) 14:21, 18 March 2021 (UTC)
- Thank you very much! --Zache (talk) 16:02, 18 March 2021 (UTC)