An importer is a user with import rights, generally speaking.
On Wikimedia wikis, there are two kinds of importers:
- transwiki importers can perform only transwiki import (import permission);
- importers can perform both transwiki and upload import (import and importupload permissions).
These flags are enabled on all wikis, but can be assigned only by stewards after a request on dedicated page (especially the import flag which includes the importupload right which is particularly dangerous) and only on a temporary basis for a specific task, unless the project has a local process and policy to assign permanent import rights.
Very few projects need and have such a policy, including:
- German Wikipedia,
- English Wikibooks,
- French Wiktionary,
- Italian Wiktionary,
- MediaWiki wiki (importers, transwiki importers).
Wikis where bureaucrats (or sysops) can assign import rights
On some wikis local bureaucrats (or sysops) can assign and remove import rights. Their list is in the Table below.
|1||simplewiki||bug 23988||2010-06-16||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats. See also bug 23462|
|2||nowiki||bug 21041||2009-12-17||Assigned by local sysops and removed by bureaucrats.|
|3||zhwikivoyage||bug 60085||2014-01-16||Assigned and removed by sysops. See also bug 61238|
|4||fawikivoyage||bug 71681||2014-10-07||Assigned and removed by sysops.|
|Transwiki and importer|
|5||ckbwiki||bug 52633||2013-08-11||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
|6||frwiktionary||bug 23545||2010-05-23||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
|7||mediawikiwiki||bug 17071||2009-03-16||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
|8||checkuserwiki||?||?||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
|9||donatewiki||?||?||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
|10||foundationwiki||?||?||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
|11||noboard_chapterswikimedia||?||?||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
|12||officewiki||?||?||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
|13||ombudsmenwiki||?||?||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
|14||otrs_wikiwiki||?||?||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
|15||stewardwiki||?||?||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
|16||enwikibooks||bug 24304and T278683||2010-08-15/2021-04-13||Assigned and removed by local sysops.|
|16||arwiki||bug 19138||2009-06-29||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
|17||incubatorwiki||?||2011-04-06||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
|18||bnwiki||?||?||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
|19||urwiki||bug 19138||2012-12-12||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
|20||enwikiversity||T294930||2021-11-04||Assigned and removed by bureaucrats.|
- Besides transwiki importers, the 'import' user right is assigned by default to sysops on all MediaWiki projects (except closed wikis) and to the 'رباتهای دارای دسترسیهای مدیریت' group in Sorani Wikipedia (see Bug 52578), French Wiktionary, Malayalam Wikipedia, Malayalam Wikisource and Malayalam Wiktionary; and groups with 'editinterface' right in Hebrew Wikipedia.
- On Sorani Wikipedia (bug 52633), German Wikiquote, German Wiktionary, Hebrew Wikivoyage and English Wikibooks, sysops have importupload rights; on Sorani Wikipedia, the 'رباتهای دارای دسترسیهای مدیریت' group have importupload rights.
- Although transwiki import may require requesting wiki configuration changes to enable import from the wiki you're interested in (import source).