CIS-A2K/Work plan July 2015 - June 2016/Odia Wikisource
CIS-A2K (Centre for Internet and Society - Access to Knowledge) is a campaign to promote the fundamental principles of justice, freedom, and economic development. It deals with issues like copyrights, patents and trademarks, which are an important part of the digital landscape.
If you have a general proposal/suggestion for Access to Knowledge team you can write on the discussion page. If you have appreciations or feedback on our work, please share it on feedback page.
This project aims to enrich Odia Wikisource with valuable Odia language books, journals, unpublished manuscripts and oral literature of Odisha.Expanding the existing community through both online and offline engagement, expanding the content base ranging from older to more contemporary writing, content acquisition and digitization of acquired content are the four major activities planned. Working with existing partner institutions like Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS) and building partnership with new institutions for long term pedagogic programs will be taken forward.
The impact of CIS-A2K’s work on Odia Wikisource can be viewed in the fact-sheet and graphs shared below:
|No. of Wikisourcers on Jan 2014 (Incubator)||No. of Wikisourcers as on Jan 2015||No. of active Wikisourcers as on Jan 2014 (Incubator)||No. of active Wikisourcers as on Jan 2015||No. of pages as on Jan 2014 (incubator)||No. of pages as on Jan 2015||No. of outreach events||No. of celebratory-outreach events|
- With the effort of the existing Odia Wikimedians, new contributors groomed online, and new faculty and student contributors of KISS, Odia Wikisource went live last year.
- The Odia Wikimedia community and CIS-A2K both collaboratively implemented a three-month long Wikisource Education Program that brought over 55 new contributors (faculty and students of KISS) to the project.
- After the Odia Wikisource went live, a total of 116 active editors have created 1563 pages in the new project.
- Odia Bhagabata, a 14th century classic was digitized and proof-read completely where the online outreach and capacity building related to this resulted bringing about 10 new contributors to the project.
- CIS-A2K and the community together were instrumental to get 81 books re-licensed under CC-by-SA 3.0 and 4.0 licenses.
- A small community was built in Delhi where 2-3 active contributors are being supported who are planning for outreach and educate Odia people living locally.
- Various new contributor help tutorials were designed to teach about digitization on Wikisource with basics on enabling Odia language, Odia input in computers, etc.
Cultivating New Editors
Building new Wikisourcers by bringing digitization on Wikisource as a pedagogic practice.
- Based on the previous year's projects, CIS-A2K will further its work in imparting the knowledge of using Wikisource as a language learning tool for students in existing institutions like Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS) and in new partner institutions.
- Build a new community of about 50 contributors (both student and faculty) in 12 institutions.
Strengthening Existing Community
Capacity building of existing Wikisourcers by building both individual level and group level support system.
- Individual coaching to be provided to Wikisourcers who need support in certain areas leveraging capacity building events (e.g. Train-the-Trainer program) and celebratory events where community members gather.
- Help about 40 Wikisourcers acquire different skills and encourage these Wikimedians to educate others.
Content donation under CC licenses
Content acquisition and relicensing under CC-by-SA licenses
To work towards acquisition of content of varied subject areas from authors, publishers and copyright holders, and getting them re-released under CC-BY-SA licenses. The acquired content will be digitized on Odia Wikisource.
- Acquire more content from copyright holders already touch-based and partner with new individual copyright holders and/or publishers.
- Aim to acquire 30 more books from various authors.
- Acquire and digitize about 20 books that are out of copyright.
Content acquisition by policy changes
Building relation with government, public sector and private entities to acquire content and relicense them under CC0/CC-by-SA licenses.
- Approaching various government departments in Odisha (Department of Culture and Tourism, Department of Tribal Welfare, Department of Information and Public Relations, Department of Mass Education, Department of Higher Education) and put in efforts at the policy level to ensure CC content release.
- Quality content acquisition from private or institutional possession and their digitization.
- Negotiate to bring into Wikisource about 2000 pages of documents from various sources.
Content generation and quality improvement
Digitization of books
To scan and digitize books acquired last year by both online and offline outreach.
- The books will be scanned by both new and existing Wikisourcers will digitize them on Odia Wikisource where the experienced Wikimedians will support by proof-reading.
- The Odia Wikisource Education Program of last year at KISS will be replicated where the faculty will be training students.
- Old and new batches of the students of KISS will be formed as groups, and educated about digitization by the faculty.
- New books acquired this year will be digitized.
- About 50 books with about 3000 folios are aimed to be digitized.
|Parameters||Expected Target (by December
||Dream Target (by December |
|No. of New editors||30||60|
|No. of New Active editors||10||20|
|No. of books made available on Odia WikiSource||20||50|
|No. of folios typed and proofread||4,500||5,500|
|No. of Training Workshops||3||5|
|No. of Events||1||2|
|Expenditure Item||FDC Support (INR)||FDC Support (US$)||Other Sources and in kind Support (INR)||Other Sources and in kind Support (US$)|
|1 PO x 30% *||272,448/-||4,402.76||-||-|
|1 PD x 5% **||79,200/-||1,279.87||40,800/-||659.33|
|Travel and Stay ***||100,000/-||1,616.00||30,000/-||484.80|
* 30% time of Subhashish Panigrahi as Program Officer who will anchor this plan at CIS-A2K
** 5% time of the Program Director, CIS-A2K
*** Expenses incurred by the CIS-A2K program team towards executing the plan
List of Contributors
Wikimedians who joined for a work plan preparatory IRC and various formal and informal meetups that helped to build this work plan (in alphabetical order):
- Aditya Mahar
- Diptiman Panigrahi
- Jnanaranjan Sahu
- Mrutyunjaya Kar
- Nasim Ali
- Nistha Ranjan Dash
- Pabitra Martha
- Pritiranjan Tripathy
- Sasanka Sekhar Das
- Shitikantha Dash
- Subas Chandra Rout
After going through the plan, please do let us know your consent by "logging in" and share your support. Please start the note with a # and sign right after your endorsement note by clicking on the icon in the edit tool bar or typing --~~~~ at the end of the feedback.
- Endorsed. --Coldbreeze16 (talk) 11:10, 27 March 2015 (UTC)