Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is the language committee report for August 2012.
- Please see Cooperation between Wikimedia and Endangered Languages Project for the cooperation with http://endangeredlanguages.com which was already mentioned last month.
Requests and approvals
- Basa Sunda Wikibooks has been closed.
- Some discussion about the request for a Manchu Wikipedia, which is now going to be developed on Incubator (Wp/mnc), preliminarily in Latin script until technical requirements are met.
- The request for a Korean Wikiversity might be revisited in September (see also this on-wiki discussion).
- The request for a Vilamovian Wikipedia has been verified as eligible.
- The Wikipedia in Livonian is likely to get approved, pending verification of the content.
- Langcom suggests to create a mobile phone application that allows easy uploading of audio or video recording to Commons, and putting them on a Wikipedia or Wiktionary page of the recorded word or concept; as such recordings are a good way to help (endangered) languages on WMF projects. The current app that was developed for uploading Wiki Loves Monuments entries could probably be easily adapted, if there is a developer who would like to attend to do this.
- An appreciable Outreach project has lead to a high number of contributions in the Yucatec Wikipedia test project on Incubator this month.