Wikimedia Community User Group Rwanda
|Wikimedia Community User Group|
|Approval date||9 February 2022|
|Official language(s)||Kinyarwanda, French, English|
|Other language(s)||Swahili, Mashi|
|Incorporation paper||AffCom Resolution (2022)|
|Affiliations||Affiliations Committee, Wikimedia Foundation|
- ESP-WE Wikiesfera Grupo de Usuarixs
- H-GAPS H-GAPS User Group
- MK-SK Shared Knowledge
- NGA-HA Hausa Wikimedians User Group
- NGA-IG Igbo Wikimedians User Group
- RU-Don Don Wikimedians User Group
- US-NE New England Wikimedians
- WJ WikiJournal
- WK? Whose Knowledge?
Wikimedia Community User Group Rwanda (WCUGR) is an independent team of self-motivated individuals who improve articles on Wikimedia Foundation project websites and promote free and open access to knowledge locally in Kinyarwanda, French & English. WCUGR also invests in projects that sensitize and train different communities in Rwanda about Wikipedia with much emphasis on Kinyarwanda Wikipedia.
Wikimedia Community User Group Rwanda (WCUGR) registered as OPEN SOURCE KNOWLEDGE RWANDA, officially recognized and regulated by the Rwanda Governance Board in accordance with the NGO Act. It is registered under the number 1180/RGB/NGO/OC/01/2023.
- To represent the Wikimedia Foundation to the Rwandan Wikimedia contributing community.
- To promote Wikimedia projects and free content in general and to encourage the use of Wikimedia resources in education in Rwanda in Kinyarwanda & English.
- To recruit and train interested people to participate in Wikimedia projects in Rwanda.
- To organize conventions, conferences, meetings, workshops, and contests in Kigali and other cities in Rwanda related to the collection and sharing of free knowledge.
- Reducing the internet gender gap through training and encouraging more women to participate in the free knowledge-sharing processes.
- To enhance the reading and writing culture of among Rwandan youths
Activities & Projects
We host many events each year. See some recent and upcoming ones here.
- Nzabonimpa, Patrick (18 October 2022). "Over 500 articles added onto Kinyarwanda Wikipedia". New Times.
- Mwai, Collins (17 January 2021). "Why Wikipedia wants you to curate content on Rwanda". New Times.
- Ntirenganya, Emmanuel (19 December 2020). "Monument against Genocide wins ticket to compete in Wikimedia contest". New Times.
- Nzabonimpa, Patrick (15 May 2022). "Rwandan wins third place in Wikipedia contest". New Times.
- Ferdinand, Nkurunziza (16 February 2020). "Urubyiruko rwahawe umukoro kubera inkuru n’amafoto bivuga ku Rwanda bikiri iyanga kuri Wikipedia". IGIHE (in Rwandan).
- Nzabonimpa, Patrick (30 April 2022). "Wikigap: Growing women’s presence on world’s largest encyclopedia". New Times.
- Nzabonimpa, Patrick (24 July 2022). "How local initiative is driving women representation on world’s largest encyclopedia" (New Times).