Movement Charter/Affiliates by Region/SAARC
This page is for South Asian Affiliates (SAARC region) to discuss their selector for the Wikimedia Movement Charter drafting committee.
- Main article: Movement Charter/Drafting Committee
The Movement Charter will be a document that will define the roles and responsibilities for all in the Wikimedia Movement. It will be a shared framework for working together toward the Strategic Direction. The Movement Charter Drafting Committee will create a draft of this Charter. For the scope of work, it is important to have people representing the wide diversity of our movement.
Wikimedia Affiliates based in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka will be categorized under the SAARC geographic region. Currently, there are 16 recognized affiliates in this region in the form of User Group and Chapter. All 16 affiliates in SAARC will nominate 1 selector for the whole region.
Ideas for how to make a decision
- People who can fulfill the Role Requirements will self-nominate themselves or be nominated by their Affiliate.
- Have a 1 hour-long Zoom meeting on October 09, 2021, Saturday, at 13:30 UTC [Check time on your timezone] to discuss and decide the selector.
Copied from an email by Tarunno (sent on 7 October):
With the request made by Movement Strategy and Governance (MSG) and with your kind consent, we, the WMBD, want to take the opportunity to call a Zoom meeting among the wiki friends and colleagues of South Asia to discuss this matter. I have also created a meta page and added an idea for how to decide to nominate a selector from the SAARC region. My primary proposal is very simple. Interested people will self-nominate themselves or be nominated by their Affiliate. And then we will have a Zoom meeting and discuss and decide whom to nominate as the selector for this region.
October 10 is the last date to complete the process. Therefore, I have proposed October 9, 2021, Saturday, 13:30 UTC for a Zoom meeting. I know it is on short notice, but the deadline is near also.
(Note: 13:30 UTC is equal to 6 PM in Kabul, 6:30 PM in Male and Islamabad, 7 PM in Colombo and New Delhi, 7:15 PM Kathmandu, 7:30 PM in Dhaka, and Thimphu.)
- Meeting joining details
Meeting Platform: Zoom
Meeting ID: 884 2317 3467
- Meeting Notes
During the meeting, various ways to do the process were suggested to best connect it to the SAARC affiliates as well as online communities. Due to the strict limitations of time, however, the following results were reached:
- The window for nominations for the selector will be extended to 5 PM on 10 October (according to the local time anywhere in the SAARC region). More nominations will be encouraged on behalf of affiliates, although candidates will be self-nominated and will not represent a specific group.
- The candidate selectors will meet together at 2:30 PM UTC on 10 October to discuss the selection (the meeting details will be shared privately).
- After the meeting, a private poll will be shared with the candidates to cast their vote among each other (the candidates will vote on each other). Each candidate gets one vote that they can cast for anyone except for themselves.
- The final results will be shared by the end of the day on 10 October.
People willing to be a selector
Nominations will be open until 5 PM on 10 October (according to the local time anywhere in the SAARC region):
- Rocky Masum (talk) 16:20, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
- Suyash Dwivedi (talk) 18:14, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
- Gaurav Jhammat (talk) 07:04, 9 October 2021 (UTC)
- R Ashwani Banjan Murmu (talk) 08:50, 9 October 2021 (UTC)
- I'd like to endorse User:R Ashwani Banjan Murmu's candidacy considering his active leadership in building the Santali Wikimedia community. He is also a part of the Odia Wikimedians User Group and I'm sure his participation here would benefit both the Santali and the Odia community. --Psubhashish (talk) 10:02, 9 October 2021 (UTC)
- Piyush Maurya 13:34, 9 October 2021 (UTC)
- Innocentbunny TALK 13:41, 9 October 2021 (UTC)
- [[User:आर्या जोशी (talk) 04:45, 10 October 2021 (UTC)]]
- Janak Bhatta (talk) 07:33, 10 October 2021 (UTC)
- The deadline for submitting for the new nominations are over now. Thank you very much for your participation. - Shabab Mustafa (talk) 13:12, 10 October 2021 (UTC)